HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlorence80

My 2001 WR426F Died While Riding

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I have a 2001 WR426F. I was riding around at a friends house and when i was coming back in from the field the bike just died. I went to start it and realized there was no compression. I pulled the valve cover off and checked the timing marks on the intake and exhaust valves and found the intake was a tooth off. I pulled out the chain tensioner, inspected the timing chain, aligned the marks on the cam gears and then reassembled. Everything looked ok and the bike seems to run fine now. Do i just need a chain tensioner? Has anybody ever heard of this? Any help would be great! Thanks

Hi. I have a 2001 WR426F. I was riding around at a friends house and when i was coming back in from the field the bike just died. I went to start it and realized there was no compression. I pulled the valve cover off and checked the timing marks on the intake and exhaust valves and found the intake was a tooth off. I pulled out the chain tensioner, inspected the timing chain, aligned the marks on the cam gears and then reassembled. Everything looked ok and the bike seems to run fine now. Do i just need a chain tensioner? Has anybody ever heard of this? Any help would be great! Thanks

If I was you, I would replace both the cam chain & the tensioner. The cam chains are known to stretch with time and this is what caused your cam timing to be off by a tooth. Replace both is the best insurance policy to keep it from happening again.

you will also need a new chain with the tensioner. My '01 YZ did the same thing. When I got the new chain I compared the length of the new to the old and the old one was longer. Just replacing the tensioner will not resolve the issue

Now do i need to pull the motor out and split the case? or can i just take the front cover off, take the chain off the crank gear then feed it up through the top of the head?

So i'm trying to replace my timing chain and i'm going by the book step by step and i can't get the rotor of the crank shaft. i have tried everything! and now the bolt holes on the rotor are ruined and the end of the crank is starting to mushroom out. &%$#@!!? has any had this problem? what can i do?