Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob80

CRF250L Electrical/Electronic's Hookups and Accessories

46 posts in this topic

Seeing as we live in a electronics world with smart phones, GPS 's, heated gear, grips,12 volt camping gear...etc, etc... Figured it be a good idea to start a post and see how and what owners are gearing up for accessories to their LRP's.

Good place to discuss "rights and wrongs" for hooking up accessory power supplies and How much?... We can/should hook up.

I'll leave this in the hands of the Electrical Guru's before I comment and ask questions, as I'd like to know the right ways also:

2 people like this

I havent seen a figure for power output for the alternator. But assuming its 250w which is guess based on other similar size bikes. 55w is take up by the headlight. I dont know how much the engine management/fuel pump take up but id imagine a fair bit, perhaps 100w. If you put a set of Aux light at 35w each then you dont leave much power to refill the battery.

For some kind of reference, the new Triumph Trophy has an 800w alternator, which powers all the management, an ECU, RCU, Immobilizer/TPMS, Stereo, Traction/Cruise control, ESA, heated grips, heated seats, GPS and two aux power sockets, oh and it charges the YTX24BS battery

I remember seeing a bit about this somewheres:

From the Helm, if its any good to ya

Alternator Capacity-0.34 kW/5000 rpm

Charging coil resistance (20 C/68 F) 0.1-1.0 (ohm's)

I'll see if I can dig up more info. and got the service manual here if ya need any specs. Just let me know what ta look for...lol

1 person likes this

well in that case id say you'd be fine to wire in your GPS and heated grips, in terms of wiring, i would run a lead from the ignition switch, to a relay and use the relay to power the accessories, I dont like drawing too much amperage through the ignition lead.

2 people like this

Aux lights can be wired to turn on with your high beams and/or manually. :smirk: A relay is also recommended(see above post) ;)

More info is available and will be posted later.... :cripple:

Ask away... :thumbsup:

:ride:

Great thread, something I don't really know much about so thank you for starting this!

I wonder what I may have gained by doing the following...

1. Removed front signals (with running lights) and replaced with DRC LED signals (no running lights).

2. Removed rear signals, tag light and tail/brake light and replaced with DRC Edge LED tail/brake/tag light with integrated signals.

On my Triumph (and now I have a lead on my LRP too) to run Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated gear which has a big draw.

The items I have are...

1. Leather gloves = 24w/2a

2. Jacket liner = 64.8w/5.4a

3. Pant liner = 45.6w/3.8a

So my quetion is what should I be able to run on the LRP?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

Wow, I wouldn't run all that on the LRP and knowing how borderline the charging system in the Thruxton is I'd be cautious using all that on there too.

A good way to test whether you're taking too much out is this:

With the bike turned off, measure the voltage across the battery terminals, you should have around 12.5v in a good battery

Plug in/turn on your equipment, start the bike and measure the voltage across the battery again. You want at least .5v more when running than at rest to recharge the energy use to start the bike

1 person likes this

And your not going to see much benefit with an LED light, the rear light is only a 5w bulb

Wow, I wouldn't run all that on the LRP and knowing how borderline the charging system in the Thruxton is I'd be cautious using all that on there too.

A good way to test whether you're taking too much out is this:

With the bike turned off, measure the voltage across the battery terminals, you should have around 12.5v in a good battery

Plug in/turn on your equipment, start the bike and measure the voltage across the battery again. You want at least .5v more when running than at rest to recharge the energy use to start the bike

Thank you!! :thumbsup: I have been running the jacket or gloves thus far on each bike, never used the pants. By the time I get my overpants with liner on it's HOT!!

Thanks for the test method, I will check on that and see where I am.

1 person likes this

I have run my heated grips, vest and GPS off the battery all day with no issues.

In Canada we have and i assume its now the same everywhere, we have daytime running lights so all the lights are on, as well as the front signals.

I run everything off the battery direct, I know there is a risk of forgetting the grips on, but the wiring harness on the bike isn't really accessible and also don't want to cut into it.

The Oxford grips I bought are supposed to shut themselves off automatically.

1 person likes this

It's funny how you guys are talking about heated grips, pants, liners. I'm thinking of hooking up a 2kW airconditioning unit. It's bloody hot here

Hahahaha

1 person likes this

It's funny how you guys are talking about heated grips, pants, liners. I'm thinking of hooking up a 2kW airconditioning unit. It's bloody hot here

Hahahaha

Trade ya climates, right quick :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

8 inches of snow here last night :lol:

But, I love it because I sell collision parts for a living and am on commision :banana: I think I need to order some more parts :smirk:

4 people like this

I want to mount a cigarette lighter or usb socket for charging things.

i did add a cig lighter to mine... i have a battery tender lead (fused) that i just plug or unplug the cig lighter before i ride now...

2013-02-27_17-12-57_992.jpg

1 person likes this

i did add a cig lighter to mine... i have a battery tender lead (fused) that i just plug or unplug the cig lighter before i ride now...

Great idea eye :thumbsup: I was thinking of a similar route. Did you purchase the Battery Tender lead and cig lighter socket all from the same place?