HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tankengine

valve seals

5 posts in this topic

Hi would like to know if you can change valve seals without removing the head. ive done this on my car with a tool that pushes the spring down with piston at top dead centre

so the valve stays up then you can change the seal. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi would like to know if you can change valve seals without removing the head. ive done this on my car with a tool that pushes the spring down with piston at top dead centre

so the valve stays up then you can change the seal. Any help greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about the Valve seats, or Stem seals?

It doesn't matter though, you have to remove the head either way.

Valve Seals - You dont have much room to do what you are thinking like on a car. If you did attempt it you run the risk of scratching the surface that the bucket rides in along with dropping one of the keepers in the bottom end. 5 bucket surfaces and 10 keepers at risk. I wouldnt even think about attempting it. Maybe others do but I could R&R the head faster/safer IMO.

Edited by NB061

Thanks for the reply I think your correct in saying its to risky etc, I'll keep riding it for now it's only puffing a little bit of smoke on start up. Will take the head off in winter and re do top end:) thanks again.

You can do this, piston at BDC pressurise cylinder with air via spark plug hole. Or if no acess to air remove plug, feed non fraying rope into cyl at BDC, compress rope by turning crank, lock crank with boit thru timing mark hole, dismantle buckets etc. Plug any holes to bottom of motor so not to lose parts, have magnet handy.

3 people like this