New (taller) Handlebars for my 08 yz450f

Been lurking for awhile and have followed several suggestions regarding setting up my 450f for woods riding on the snowmobile/atv trails in Maine. I switched out to the heavier flywheel and went up to a 51T rear sprocket because alot of my riding is rock crawling; both mods have made my bike a real joy to ride offroad. I am 5 11 and feel like my riding position is a bit crouched over and is uncomfortable for long stretches on the pegs. I think a Pro Taper Windham bend might help me out because the other alternative is risers and I seem to get the consensus that risers are not the preferred method the raise the bars. Here's my question: How difficult would the swap from the stock handlebars be (ie will the controls/cable swap over ok?) I was concerned that I might have to make other changes with new higher bars and I would like to keep this as simple as possible. Thanks for your input. Jim

If anyone is interested as to what the trails in Maine look like; here is a vid from my first ride (GoPro helmet camera) last summer

I'm about your size, and I run Windhams on my '06. It's a huge improvement, IMO. They move your hand position forward as well as up, and that changes everything. They give you a much more relaxed standing position and moves you forward on the bike.

You can't, or at least, I can't, do any serious riding with a bar as low as the stock YZ450 stuff.

I ran Carmicheals last year and just ordered a new set of them. Going to use them for the first two races and then get a set of Windam's and try them. Kinda wish this post was up before I ordered the carmicheals but oh well.

My 08 YZ corners but not that great IMO. I am always chasing after better cornering. I am going to raise my forks 3mm and try that. The windham's make the bike corner that much better?

I ran Carmicheals last year and just ordered a new set of them. Going to use them for the first two races and then get a set of Windam's and try them. Kinda wish this post was up before I ordered the carmicheals but oh well.

My 08 YZ corners but not that great IMO. I am always chasing after better cornering. I am going to raise my forks 3mm and try that. The windham's make the bike corner that much better?

FYI, Renthal Carmichael's and Protaper Windham's are virtually identical. They are both 99mm tall and have 53/54mm of sweep. The stock CR/CRF Renthals are also 99mm tall w/ 54mm sweep.

Renthal Windham's are pretty short at 92mm tall and have more sweep at 57mm. It's a totally different bend than the protaper windham.

For guys over 6'-2", the Renthal RC Highs are the ticket at 119mm tall w/ 54mm sweep. The RC High is the tallest, straightest bar on the market, with a normal width. Pastrana FMX is 2mm taller, but they are very narrow.

Edited by CamP