HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcheatham

Homemade Silencer

17 posts in this topic

Hello I have a 2000 YZ295 and LOVE IT! Before I sent off my head and cylinder I hade the SST pipe and Powercore 2 exhaust set up. Seeing that SST was the worst thing I could possibly have on with my EG295 I had to store it. I switched back over to my full stock set up since my fmf silencer had holes all around it from corrosion. Im going to try and make my own silencer and a carbon fiber tip since I have always wanted to see how carbon fiber is. Im currently going to school for machining so making brackets and such wont be a problem. My question is, does the actual diameter of the silencer make a difference, I know length does. Also the tube in the inside does the size of that matter and do the size of all those holes make a difference. I would like to get this to perform like stock and mabey better. I might have missed some things. any input will help me with my future project!

I would be quite interested in your results, if you google search Gordon Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook you will come across a downloadable PDF file on all things to do with two stroke engines. That will have formulas for working out the dimensions for a silencer.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Im looking forward to your results as well! Should be interesting to see what the average guy can make with some off the shelf materials

Everything will make a difference.

Length, diam, packing material, hole size

in the perforated inner core.

...small holes in the perf will be a lot

louder, as well.

Copy what you already have would be a

good place to start

...m4 exhaust makes an adjustable silencer with

different size tips for the outlet, and the

power can be shaped / makes a big difference

just by that little change, and will affect jetting /

heat in the pipe and motor.

...burnt out packing can also lose as much as

2 to 4 hp on a dyno run, depending on engine size, and also make the engine

run like crap, so keep it freshly packed

Edited by yamaha7442

I need to take a few pictures, but I was able to cut 4" off the stock silencer and make a shorty out of it. Works good on my 250.

Whats a YZ295?
a YZ295 is a YZ250 bored out to a 295. Eric gorr is one of the best!
1 person likes this

I need to take a few pictures, but I was able to cut 4" off the stock silencer and make a shorty out of it. Works good on my 250.

Not a stock silencer, but I broke my shorty and had this sparky laying around. Needless to say, it is no longer a sparky. Same concept though... I cut it down so it is now 6 inches long.

IMG_0030-1.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Edited by BDubb106
1 person likes this

Not a stock silencer, but I broke my shorty and had this sparky laying around. Needless to say, it is no longer a sparky. Same concept though... I cut it down so it is now 6 inches long.

IMG_0030-1.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

that looks pretty good mabey I should just buy a cheap silencer on eBay and just cut it down a bit. And then make some carbon fiber tips

that looks pretty good mabey I should just buy a cheap silencer on eBay and just cut it down a bit. And then make some carbon fiber tips

would probably be cheaper, and get you much closer to a well performing product than experimenting. Just keep in mind. The shorter the silencer the more bottom end, less top end.

I just use this for the more SX oriented tracks where you never get above mid throttle because the runs are so short so I dont need the over rev. Otherwise I use the off the shelf shorty, or standard silencer so you should def experiment with lengths. I usually find banged up silencers on ebay and cut/ weld them just to experiment. I have not paid over $10 for a silencer and I have a full shelf of them of all diff lengths. Most of which I have never used, but plan on playing with this summer.

1 person likes this

It would be cool and maybe easier if you can make a can and just have it so that can utilize the enduro engeneering spark arrestor end cap... Also seen lexx carbon fiber tips but not sure if it's for the 2 stroke...

would probably be cheaper, and get you much closer to a well performing product than experimenting. Just keep in mind. The shorter the silencer the more bottom end, less top end.

I just use this for the more SX oriented tracks where you never get above mid throttle because the runs are so short so I dont need the over rev. Otherwise I use the off the shelf shorty, or standard silencer so you should def experiment with lengths. I usually find banged up silencers on ebay and cut/ weld them just to experiment. I have not paid over $10 for a silencer and I have a full shelf of them of all diff lengths. Most of which I have never used, but plan on playing with this summer.

Great idea! I might do this myself...

Any more progress?
not much unfortunitly. I've been looking around and thinking its not about length, but volume. I dont know if its true or not but it makes since. More volume the more top end and the quieter it will be.

Any more progress?
not much unfortunitly. I've been looking around and thinking its not about length, but volume. I dont know if its true or not but it makes since. More volume the more top end and the quieter it will be.

I read on another thread that a short silencer will increase bottom end. That kind of flies in the face of what I thought was the case with intake/exhaust tracts, that you make them long and skinny for bottom end, and short and fat for top end.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/801589-my-modified-silencer/page__hl__+silencer%20+dimensions#entry8365640

Edited by kiwi86

I read on another thread that a short silencer will increase bottom end. That kind of flies in the face of what I thought was the case with intake/exhaust tracts, that you make them long and skinny for bottom end, and short and fat for top end.

http://www.thumperta...ns#entry8365640

yea, you have it backwards.