Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krimble

My First WR450F Build!

88 posts in this topic

Hey guys! new to the forum. I just thought I would introduce myself by making a build thread. I'm mostly on Supermotojunkie, but I want to get another WR for Dirt use within a couple years.

Well, I'm a 17 soon to be 18 boy from New-brunswick, Canada. I always loved riding, but never had the finances to own a dirtbike. So with my money saved up from my part time job, I bought a 2009 WR250X two years ago, then around 8 months ago I bought a 2003 WR450F. I since sold the 250X and am using all the money to rebuild my 450F.

So here it goes. I started 2 weeks ago. :ride:

This is how it was a couple days before the tear down, having fun in the snow!

IMAG0608.jpg

Fastforward a couple days after, here is one nights progress. I know it's not much, but I'm pretty new to this.

IMAG0657.jpg

Then here is my friends trying to remove the carb.

IMAG0658.jpg

Then I kind of messed around in Photoshop and used Mings bike on SMJ and changed the frame, and plastic colors. I think I will love it. :thumbsup:

Mingsbikebutmywhite_zps1ca8a812.jpg

Now here we are having trouble removing the swingarm pivot bolt.

IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

Here's the removed swingarm sitting warm in front of the fireplace.

IMAG0685.jpg

Now here is the bare frame, kind of dirty and small rust spots.

IMG_6967_zpsfc49dce0.jpg

I hate cleaning! Grrrr :banghead:

IMAG0687.jpg

But it is nice when things are clean ;)

IMG_6974_zps29c68fd8.jpg

Now is cleaning the engine.

IMG_6979_zps64f48167.jpg

IMG_6982_zps77cdf65e.jpg

IMG_6983_zps6121c661.jpg

Opening it up.

IMG_6984_zps1c9f7828.jpg

IMG_6986_zpsa45ea838.jpg

Edited by socom_6_deahrow
1 person likes this

Now I find why the clutch side was leaking! and I thought I was burning oil!! Haha Look at the JB weld at the bottom

IMG_6988_zpse4a75b57.jpg

Clutch disks were real nice. Got to have that rum and coke.

IMG_6991_zps3fc1fb3f.jpg

Inside the head.

IMG_6993_zps31c2091d.jpg

IMG_6998_zps4572116d.jpg

IMG_6999_zps55889304.jpg

The piston. Is this a normal color? Lean or Rich?

IMG_6997_zps4b7fb6e8.jpg

Yack! I think I'm going to need a new one

IMG_7003_zpsff5ec2ef.jpg

Cams, maybe going to do the YZ exhaust cam mod.

IMG_7004_zps567ea0fe.jpg

IMG_7006_zpseb585831.jpg

IMG_7009_zpsd927238d.jpg

Cylinder, It's not as bad as it looks, a slight hone is the worst case scenario I believe.

IMG_7014_zps48f41d3c.jpg

And the last one for now, what happened here? I believe the chain guard sanded through the swing arm.

IMAG0690.jpg

Well that's what I have for now. Just sent it to te PC'er for a semi gloss black. He is getting the swinarm proffesioanally welded at the same time.

I will post up the Powdercoated parts Saturday or Sunday.

And It's sure a nice forum, I'm sure you will see me sticking around here.

Thanks for reading!

Sam.

Edited by socom_6_deahrow
1 person likes this

Well done!

Good to see some lovin'

Can't wait to see the final product....I am planning to do a similar rebuild on my '99 400 in the coming months (when I can find the ca$h)

Well done!

Good to see some lovin'

Can't wait to see the final product....I am planning to do a similar rebuild on my '99 400 in the coming months (when I can find the ca$h)

Thanks! I appreciate it, I know the bike is feeling the love, but not the wallet! :cry:

Ahh well, I figure money is no object for doing what you love.

I can't wait to see the rebuild, What are you planing to do? Full tear down?

Cheers!

Sam.

Yeah, I would really like to tear it down over winter and get the motor and frame soda blasted and resprayed as the previous owner really did a crap job of looking after it.

Not sure how much blasting costs here in Australia. I'm sure it's not cheap!

He painted the motor black and it is all chipped and peeling.

The frame paint is almost all worn off.

Swingarm and linkage bearings are almost dead.

I've spent the last couple of months sorting out the stuffed up carby.

Next is tires, then some actual riding till winter. Then a teardown.

Keep the photos coming.

Its good to see you decided to go with a different name for you build on here, as apposed to what you chose to go with on SMJ!

Yes, the chain buffer has a habit of wearing into the swingarm if you don't use something to lessen the rubbing. Most use a type of two sided foam camper tape underneath the buffer. Besides stopping the wear into the swingarm, it also quiets a source of noise too!!

Got my parts today! They look somewhat crappy in the pics but ohh well, it's also because the parts were cold and were fogged up because of the heat in my room. Also ordered some white YZ plastics and a White Clarke tank. Maybe wheels tonight.

IMG_7018_zps5fbadcd2.jpg

IMG_7019_zps89c1b746.jpg

IMG_7020_zps331f9262.jpg

IMG_7021_zps4f9f7364.jpg

IMG_7022_zps7785afb6.jpg

IMG_7023_zps2eaa0316.jpg

1 person likes this

Is that all Powdercoated? That's what I'd like to do with mine. Looks nice so far!!

1 person likes this

Is that all Powdercoated? That's what I'd like to do with mine. Looks nice so far!!

Yup! everything that you see is powdercoated. It's a real nice finnish. Do you have a WR?

'06 WR450 that just got left behind in Baja. Now I can fly in and ride whenever I want like the rest of the crew I ride with.

Now I'm working on a '02 WR250f for the upcoming race season here in Montana. Completely torn apart, and will be getting it powdercoated black just like yours!! :thumbsup:

Good luck on your build. Remember take your time, and measure anything that seems to have any wear. If you've got any questions just ask. Cause the only dumb question, is the one that wasn't asked.

Edited by zibbit u2

Well, I got the plastics, bearings and my fuel tank , unfortunately the tank does not match the white from the fenders, but I am getting a graphic kit soon. Probably buying Speedo, stator, and Coolant hose/fuel lines tomorrow.

IMG_7026_zps6195cc7f.jpg

Clutch cover with no hole from a fellow Supermotojunkie user.

IMAG0709_zpsf35d25ff.jpg

IMAG0729_zps1167afed.jpg

IMAG0730_zps85b77adb.jpg

I also bought this recently. Super fun! :D

IMAG0703_zps096cddd3.jpg

Edited by Krimble
1 person likes this

The white and black looks killer. I used Carey Hart's bike as a bit of inspiration for my 2012.

Shitty picture and is doesn't show much of the bike but I liked the scheme.

careyhart_zpsb1eb9f62.jpg

The white and black looks killer. I used Carey Hart's bike as a bit of inspiration for my 2012.

Thanks Kyle! Yeah, I can't wait to see the final product. Just finished cleaning all the baked dirt from my exhaust pipe, and cleaned the forks too.

That Carey Hart's bike is sick! I like the look, yours is real nice too.

Well I ordered some graphics for E-Sticky and let me tell you, they look great! I can't wait to put these on. Also on the right is a new 50 piece wrench set and Pneumatic tool kit I got from my birthday. They aren't the top notch, but They were 250$ before the sale, and I don't know how much that sale was, but it only cost my dad 41$ tax included for that pneumatic tool set. :thumbsup:

Cleaned the forks.

IMAG0737_zps39c87b88.jpg

I did not think it would of worked, but my old man Managed to clean the baked dirt off the head pipe by letting it soak in Simple Green overnight. It looks almost new now.

IMAG0739_zps17ab8bd3.jpg

IMAG0738_zps65f7db6d.jpg

IMAG0748_zps2d54496d.jpg

2 people like this

Small update for you folks! I just got my seat cover and my Grips. I should get my stator and speedometer around Friday/Monday. I also dropped off my head at the best head work shop around. (I know the family that runs it)

They are going to resurface my valve seats, change my valve seals, clean the head and cylinder, and done a very light hone on the cylinder. I also ordered some OEM valve seals and piston rings at my local Yamaha dealer.

IMAG0761_zpse9247e66.jpg

IMAG0760_zps91e6915a.jpg

Also picked up a torque wrench and a cheap measuring calliper, just in case.

IMAG0763_zps456c86ff.jpg

Also added a light in my shop/basement, It's a night and day difference, literally.

IMAG0762_zps9c17f472.jpg

Maybe not the best shop setup, but I kind of turned my basement into my room/shop/mancave.

It's not bad, a lot warmer and cosy than outside in this Canadian winter... :headshake

IMAG0765_zps64d33956.jpg

Also starting to clean my exhaust.

It's also nice because I have this in my room/shop/mancave.

IMAG0764_zps020e5590.jpg

IMAG0767_zps72e7e10e.jpg

IMAG0769_zps9e8421c8.jpg

IMAG0770_zps0834837e.jpg

Painted my headlight a couple minutes ago.

IMAG0768_zpsf9af22b8.jpg

And... I changed the chain and re-threaded the bolt holes from my 85 Z50R case cover. The chain is a bit tight in the pic, but I will put a little more slack in it.

IMAG0771_zpsc0fc3ec4.jpg

I think I did not too bad for today. Will post up pics in a couple hours of polishing the exhaust and such.

1 person likes this