DR650 vs. DRZ400

i took my girlfriends 2012 dr650 to work to today and i dont get why suzuki even makes this bike. its clunky, heavy, and doesnt seem to have any more power then my DRZ. i will say its nice on the highway, much bigger gear ratios then the DRZ...i didnt shift into 5th gear until i was going 80mph. but that being said, the windsheer makes it so that you dont want to go much faster then 80. i looked up the specs on it and its 37hp stock, weighing in at 370lbs, my drz might be making a bit more horsepower and its feels 100lbs lighter. the drz is much more flickable and zippy. also i kinda like the smaller gear ratios on the drz, it feels much more like a dirtbike and i can not even imagine taking her dr650 off road. just felt like sharing my opinions...

• Like 1

Just a slightly different niche.

More freeway/long commute then take the 650

More dirt/mud/fun then take the DRZ :ride:

? yep, DR works well as a dual sport with light off road duties. My father rides a 650 offroad when I'm on my DRZ, it's entertaining for me to watch but he makes it through all the same stuff I do, just slower and you have to fight the bike more :ride:

• Like 1

it's weird when the xr650 makes 61hp yet the dr650 makes 37, what were they thinking.

uhhh the XR650R (offroad only) makes about 45-50hp (The R model is no longer made over here, it hasn't been for awhile) and the XR650L (street and trail model) only makes about 35-40hp.

I don't know where you seen the 61 number at unless it's heavily modded it won't be making those numbers.

EDIT: unless you're talking crank hp numbers, which is useless ?

Edited by Epicsoldier
  • Like 1

Dual sport is all about compromise. Depends where and how you want to ride, how much you like to work on the bikes and how much money you got to spend. I have owned both bikes and I know alot of guys that really like the DR. The stock DR is a tank, but if you are willing to put some time and money into it (starting with suspension, carb and exhaust), it is a totally different bike. Of course there are those that would ask why you would ever want to sink a bunch of money into a DR, but lots of guys do it. If you are a bigger guy and want to haul alot of gear on longer trips over varied terrain, I would take it over the DRZ. If you like to ride mostly off-road, take the DRZ. In my experience, you can ride the DR off-road (within reason) if it is set up properly, but the DRZ is just more fun.

uhhh the XR650R (offroad only) makes about 45-50hp (The R model is no longer made over here, it hasn't been for awhile) and the XR650L (street and trail model) only makes about 35-40hp.

I don't know where you seen the 61 number at unless it's heavily modded it won't be making those numbers.

EDIT: unless you're talking crank hp numbers, which is useless ?

Just going from specs I found online but that was for the R model at the crank.

I guess the DR650 is a stronger platform - I suspect the chassis can take more luggage load before you have to start getting creative.

Also the DR650 should make more power low down, it's also a more simple engine (air/oil cooled) so should be less vulnerable in a fall.

Personally I'd take my DRZ but each to their own.

We have both. Good bikes for what each is intended for. I have gone everywhere I wanted on the big dually, just not quite as gracefully. LOL. BUt fot the Adenture type riding we seem to have in abundance here in Missouri, the 650 fits the bill.

I own and love both! Once you put an FCR carb on and a decent exhaust on the DR650 its a much more fun bike to ride (just like the DRZ). A 14 tooth CSS helps wake things up as well. I wouldnt call it flickable but converting the rear wheel to an 18" with the right tire will raise the rear end up about 1/2" and that makes the handling a little faster.

Its a different bike for a different purpose - its a lot more vibration dampened and much smoother at freeway speeds (rubber mounted bars, pegs, exhaust). Its got a far stronger tail section (welded frame vs. bolt on extention). The factory suspension on the DR650 really needs help but a set of emulators and correct springs make a big difference.

My DRZ is my more dirt / technical off road bike and does pavement in small stretches to get to the dirt and my DR650 is my more road focused adventure bike that is more 50/50 than the DRZ. I love them both!

20130127_150142.jpg

drz3_sm.jpg

Edited by ROMAD
  • Like 1

I own and love both! Once you put an FCR carb on and a decent exhaust on the DR650 its a much more fun bike to ride (just like the DRZ). A 14 tooth CSS helps wake things up as well. I wouldnt call it flickable but converting the rear wheel to an 18" with the right tire will raise the rear end up about 1/2" and that makes the handling a little faster.

Its a different bike for a different purpose - its a lot more vibration dampened and much smoother at freeway speeds (rubber mounted bars, pegs, exhaust). Its got a far stronger tail section (welded frame vs. bolt on extention). The factory suspension on the DR650 really needs help but a set of emulators and correct springs make a big difference.

My DRZ is my more dirt / technical off road bike and does pavement in small stretches to get to the dirt and my DR650 is my more road focused adventure bike that is more 50/50 than the DRZ. I love them both!

20130127_150142.jpg

drz3_sm.jpg

would you mind linking me to how you installed the blade fork covers please ? (drz)

i have some yeller sm covers i might put on my s, more visibility and all ?