Tire disposal

Now that I've been off-roading for a couple of years, I've accumulated a few worn-out tires that I've changed myself. The replacements were all bought through mail order. I don't want to just throw them in the garbage, since landfills aren't supposed to accept them. I was thinking about cutting them up and then throwing them away, but that seems like a real pain. (What to cut them with, I don't know.) Any creative ideas out there for what to do with old tires? Will dealers usually take them (for a fee)?

Thanks,

Rich

Call a tire dealer in your area they will usually take them in for $1 a tire. I use CostCo or Discount Tire. If that doesn't work I just throw them in the river near my house. Just kidding! Don't cut them up and throw them away in the trash that will just add to a land fill some where. Find some where to dispose of them properly so they get recycled.

Head down to your neighborhood Les Schwab (or tire changing store) and toss them in their disposal bins... (I would NEEEEEVVVVERRR suggest tossing them in after hours) I take tires from the bins (for my track, to put around sprinklers) so tossing a few in wouldn't bother me. Good luck.

There is crumb rubber being added to asphalt mix here in the states as well. So far only a few states are experimenting with it, but I believe it will pick up. Tires are also milled down to crumb and rebonded with urethanes to make a variety of products. Depending on location, tires can be dropped off at a recycling facility, or at a pick up point for such facility. I happen to work for a tire recycler/manufacturer of rubber products, so I don't have to take my tires far.

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:

I was thinking about cutting them up and then throwing them away, but that seems like a real pain. (What to cut them with, I don't know.) Any creative ideas out there for what to do with old tires?

Rich, If you decide to cut them up use a Sawzall (sp?), it cuts them like butt-a!

------------------

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

Enduro Heaven