How to get rid of transmission issues on a 2002 wr426?

Has there been a solution to this? I heard the transmission can go bad because of no dampeners on the wheels. I currently bought a wr426 and don't want to repair it twice, because it already has that issue right now with 4th and 5th gear going out. Btw does anyone know if I have to split the case to get to the transmission? Do I have to take the head off and all that? Thanks.

Yes, you have to split the cases to service the transmission.

The transmission does not 'go bad' because of the lack of a cush rear hub.

They go bad from abuse, neglect, and lots of hours. They do not 'go bad'.

You say 4th and 5th are 'going out'. Do you mean it pops out of gear, won't go into gear, or finds false neutrals between gears.

All are different problems.

I think this post might be a troll.....

What does a troll mean?

The bike will engage from 1 N 2 3, then when between the 3 and 4 it goes into neutral. It's very odd and I've never seen anything like it before. Sucks because everything else is tip top shape. Also, when the bike is running on choke on startup, theres a ticking sound. It seems like maybe one of the fork are trying to engage or something. I think the guy before me maybe needs to learn how to use the clutch properly. I could tell because I think the clutch hasn't completely disengaged. Seems like I'm going to be working on the bike for a while. It's a 2002 wr426 and it's plated. The previous owner had some neat upgrades like steering stablizers, billet triple clamp, billet levers, pro taper bar, desert tank, he even got a new X-ring chain, new sprockets and got the forks rebuilt. I think it was steal for what I paid for.. Thanks for the tip.

You guys are kind of scaring me about this bike?!! I COULD part it, but what's the fun in parting a bike like that?!

Is there any way to make this bike a 6 speed? Or anyway to make the transmission more durable??

I'm looking around $600 to fix it myself (with OEM gaskets, I haven't found any reputable aftermarket brands). Haven't spent a dime on it yet, still deciding if it's a worthy project.

You guys are kind of scaring me about this bike?!! I COULD part it, but what's the fun in parting a bike like that?!

Is there any way to make this bike a 6 speed? Or anyway to make the transmission more durable??

I'm looking around $600 to fix it myself (with OEM gaskets, I haven't found any reputable aftermarket brands). Haven't spent a dime on it yet, still deciding if it's a worthy project.

How the hell do you come up with a price if you don't even know you have to split the cases to work in a transmission??

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to scare you, but simply wanted to bring to your attention that you've got some work ahead of you. And there's no way in knowing how many internals have to be replaced to fix your 4th/5th gear issues until you get in there to find out what is wrong. It could simply be the shift fork like Krannie said, or lots more. Open her up, that's the only way to know. When you asked if you had to remove the head to split the cases, that pretty much tells us that your new at this stuff, so we don't think you have the capability of repairing her. That's the assumption that comes across to me anyhow.

I'm just use to simple technical stuff, like gunked up carbs, bad relay, something simple that the most average person might not know about. Over technical stuff like transmissions I'm not really used to. I could take a motor and replace whatever it needs, but a transmission kind of scares me sometimes. It just seems more complicated. I dunno... I'll put up some pictures, see if you guys think it's a worthy project.

Fix it. Looks like you'd have a nice bike in the long run ?

Anytime you split a case you have to hope for the best and expect the worst. You could very likely find a worn out piston and/or a dozen other things once you're in there. I would start with a build thread--take and post lots of pictures and ask for help if you get in a bind. Is your bike worth fixing? I say yes if you are doing the work yourself and willing to spend the time and money to do it right. They are very good bikes once everything is squared away and working the way it should :ride:

Edited by Rot Box

If you really don't want to open it up and repair it yourself you could probably buy a bottom end off ebay and sell yours. Of course it would be preferable to rebuild yours so you know all the parts in there are freshened up. I've never done a transmission by myself so I understand the intimidation. Maybe you can find someone near you that will walk you through it for a case of beer?