Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zj4041

Dirt tire for sand dunes

12 posts in this topic

Whats a good dirt tire that performs well on sand such as dumont dunes or glamis for a crf 450x? I have a paddle tire and i love it. but i wanna try something different and have a descent spare . In Dakar they use dunlop geomax mx51 or bridgestone m 404 any one have experience with Those on sand?

Pirelli makes a tire that looks almost like a mini paddle some guys in Florida ran them with good luck ( Ok its the Scorpion MX soft 410)

Edited by OR Racer46

I have ran a 10 paddle and I have ran a knobby at low air pressure, and I could go anywhere I wanted to runing the knobby. Now I didn't do any real big hill climbs but for jumping, running the whoops, and ripping around I didn't think I lost anything running the knobby.

I have found that any soft terrain knobbie aired down works well in the sand.As a matter of oppinion i prefer the knob over a paddle ,I just like the give a good knob has.I would start with whatever you have already,air it down and give it a try.Due to having less lift on your front tire without the paddle air it down also.

All good advice. I like the pirelli scorp mx 410 & the artrac tg4. now i wonder if those could be good replacements for a paddle. Im not into big hills or drag racing. I enjoy jumps and dune riding.

I have ran a 10 paddle and I have ran a knobby at low air pressure, and I could go anywhere I wanted to runing the knobby. Now I didn't do any real big hill climbs but for jumping, running the whoops, and ripping around I didn't think I lost anything running the knobby.

How did you like the 10 paddle? I have a 8 (cause I couldnt find a 10 paddle unless ordered) that I run on a 450, seems ok. I heard though that the 10 paddle wont "dig in" as much. True?

I run an 8 paddle and I couldn't imagine even running a paddle my bike has a hard time finding traction with the paddle. I rode a buddy's bike with a knobby on it and it was brutal there was literally no traction it was like driving a ferrari on ice. the Michelin star cross would probably be able to move around.

Iv never run a 10 paddle but the oregon dunes that I ride are absolutely brutal with a knobby. not so sure about glamis.

Knobby sucks in glamis too.

You will be wringing out your engine just to stay on top of the flat sand all squirrely with a knobby VS pulling wheelies and riding up loose blow-over faces of dunes with a paddle. Night and day difference.

How did you like the 10 paddle? I have a 8 (cause I couldnt find a 10 paddle unless ordered) that I run on a 450, seems ok. I heard though that the 10 paddle wont "dig in" as much. True?

With a 10 I can go anywhere I want to.