Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scatillac

Opinions..what to look for?

4 posts in this topic

2012 Yamaha 450F. Don't know much about it yet, but do know the guy that had it races and he gets a new one every year. He said that after he raced it, it went back to the factory..?? Anyway don't know much bout the bike, my dad just told me that his pastor is getting the bike and that he is going to bring it by for dad to look at and maybe keep it around for a week. Said that the only thing that wasn't done on it was the transmission. Anyway, don't know a whole lot bout 450F. just have a YZ250. What do ya'll think I should have him look for, do not know if I will be able to take a look at it or not.

I smell BS right away when I see this:

2012 Yamaha 450F.... the guy that had it races and he gets a new one every year. He said that after he raced it, it went back to the factory..??

...Said that the only thing that wasn't done on it was the transmission.

The current owner would have to be a factory supported Yamaha team rider for the bike to go "back to the factory". The trouble is that Yamaha has no U.S. race team, and only provides limited support to privately owned teams, so it wouldn't have been a "factory" bike in the first place. If it was raced so hard in a year that it needed everything but the trans done on it, you might want to pass on that one and find another less well used unit.

I smell BS right away when I see this:

The current owner would have to be a factory supported Yamaha team rider for the bike to go "back to the factory". The trouble is that Yamaha has no U.S. race team, and only provides limited support to privately owned teams, so it wouldn't have been a "factory" bike in the first place. If it was raced so hard in a year that it needed everything but the trans done on it, you might want to pass on that one and find another less well used unit.

Alright cool. I will have to figure out more on the bike. That's just what my dad said. Maybe he meant that the team replaced everything, I don't know for sure of anything yet.

He probably means that he puts all the factory stuff back on....EX: suspension(forks), plastic, graphics, handle bars, etc..If that is the case I would check compression, Engine noise, ease of starting, bearings(wheel wooble)(notchy steering). How much is he asking? That depends on how anal you should get about specifics.