Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N2BLUE314

2012 YZ450F Exhaust

5 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to pick up a new 2012 YZ450F tomorrow. I have had a few 450's before but seems like the pipes keep getting longer eah year. I can't stand how long the stock pipe is on the 2012. Who makes the shortest aftermarket slip on and will it require any remapping. I don't really want to spen the money on a full system. If you have any pics to show the pipes that woukd be helpful.

Probably Yoshimura , but not 100% sure. However, I do think they lengthened it slightly after the first 2010 450 pipe. Mine seems much shorter than stock and is the first 2010 pipe design from Yosh. I also love the pipes performance it really opens up the top of the RPM's and revs noticeably longer which was what i was after. I have the full system. Take a look in my garage there should be some pics of it in there. Good luck.

Wish FMF and Dr. D would come out with their "wrap around" exhausts like JGR has. Doug Dubach ran one at the Vet Nationals. That'd be the shortest by far.

I have a DRD NS-4, and it only sticks past the fender by about 2"?

Wish FMF and Dr. D would come out with their "wrap around" exhausts like JGR has. Doug Dubach ran one at the Vet Nationals. That'd be the shortest by far.

I have a DRD NS-4, and it only sticks past the fender by about 2"?

I think the original post was referring to mufflers getting longer. The wraparound isn't about shortening the exhaust per se, it's about moving weight forward of the CG. Manufactureres actually need a certain amount of length to a pipe to enhance low to midrange power. Too short and the powerband suffers. This is why Honda goes through the trouble of wrapping their headpipe all the way around the frame from left to right on it's way back to the muffler- to enhance low end.

I would like the wraparound as well but it's not a simple bolt-on installation. There's a heat shield at the front of the cylinder as well as clutch cable and radiator hose reconfiguration involved. My guess is this will be one of the major changes to the '14 YZ.

I'm looking to purchase either the Yoshi slip on or FMF (Blue) slip on. I was hoping either of these pipes will be shorter than stock. Do you have to change mapping after installing the pipe.