12/13 WR450 for Moto and trail?

I was at the dealer yesterday looking and one of the guys mentioned that some are using the WR on the track, because its basically a 450 in a 250 frame. Side by side it was pretty impressive how much narrower the WR is than the YZ.

I'm riding an 07 YZ 450 now, I put skids and bark busters on now when I head out to the trails.

Is it possible on the new WR's to pop off some of the stuff? I know you can get a new battery for around 100 bucks that weighs substantially less, swap out the rear fender, pop a number plate on the front. Can you wire in or is there some sort of disconnect for the computer?

I'd be getting the suspension re-valved regardless, I know about the throttle stop, exhaust and ECM mods that are needed pretty much right away.

Any thoughts?

thanks

I'll check it out thanks

Just seems like you can strip some of the stuff off for the track and put it back on for the trail...I peel off my skids and bark busters as it is now. I like the WR vs the YZ right now since its so much narrower.

The e-start was not removed for that article which makes me wonder where they got the 12lbs from.

From the article they replaced the battery with a Lipo battery and removed the side stand. They don't mention anything else. I'm planning on calling Adrian at Ride Eng. to see what was really done as the article was not that complete.

I've taken the computer, headlight, rear wr fender off mine. Put the stock tank back on and have been having a blast riding it on the track. Get the comp ecu and fmf pipe and have the idle circuit adjusted before you take delivery. I really wanted a green sticker bike with electric start and have no intentions of taking the e-button off. Hell I even like the kickstand, its staying on as well. Flatland racing sells a collar to replace the odo cable and works well since the stocker has an open bearing. You will have to relocate the fuel injection on/off button and make a bracket for the number plate but that is fairly easy to do. I also replaced the battery with a shorai and added an oversized front rotor from galfer with yz length brake line. Overall this is a pretty much do it all bike for me, still feels a little top heavy but I have always been a two stroke rider in the past.

thanks for some of the input. I'd remove the kickstand and swap the battery, mostly the easy stuff. I doubt I would pull the starter, that would be nice to have ?

I'm thinking the stuff that saves weight that I can pull off and put back on in an hour or so, between track and trail...I'm just not familiar enough to know how easy removal of any of this stuff is, or realistic my thinking is.

I just keep coming back to it because I'm a Yamaha guy, and the size difference between the WR and YZ is really noticeable.

Edited by jkimmel

The e-start was not removed for that article which makes me wonder where they got the 12lbs from.

From the article they replaced the battery with a Lipo battery and removed the side stand. They don't mention anything else. I'm planning on calling Adrian at Ride Eng. to see what was really done as the article was not that complete.

Exactly! In the article, they removed very little, added some other stuff, and then "claim" that they almost knocked off 12 pounds? I have some serious doubts about that!! I also don't think they removed the e-start. If they did, then you could probably save about 12 pounds, but they put on the Lipo batttery, and why would you do that if you removed the e-start? Magazines lie all the time, believe them at your own peril.