2010 YZ450 Triple clamps

A friend of mine bought a 2012 KX450. I rode it once and didnt really like it. Then he put new 20 mm triple clamps on it and I couldnt believe how much better it turned. It really felt like I could go anywhere I wanted. I have a 2010 YZ450 and I want to improve the cornering. I've read about teh engine repositioning kits, radiator lowering kits, etc. But i havent read where anyone changed the triple clamps. Is that not a common mod? Does anyone have any experience with it? How does it compare to the engine repositioning kits (besides cost)?

When I had my 06 yz450 I had a TAG triple clamp on it at the top but really couldn't tell much difference or if any. Seems like now with the newer model YZ's it's hard to find any triple clamp for them. Seems like they dont make any for a 2010 an up. Seems like when I was looking at some TAG clamps and Pro-Tapers they didnt seem to have any for em.

Applied might but would be kinda costly.

General consensus is that different offset triple clamps don't help the handling on the new YZ450 but the engine relocation kit really does make a difference. Applied does make a 20mm offset clamp but initial tests with Enzos 24mm offset fork legs, back in late 2010, got better feedback from MXA and other test riders. I would like to try 24mm offset clamps if someone made them as the fork leg lugs cost $1,200.

Changing the axle offset in the fork legs and changing the triple clamp offset both change the exact same dimension of the steering geometry in the same way. This is one reason that trying to buy clamp sets for CRF's is such a confused proposition. They've changed the axle offset a couple of times through the years.

All YZ/YZF's through '09 had 25mm offset clamps. The '10 and up use 22mm offsets. Testing with the '10+ has mostly shown very little positive effect to altering the clamp offset one way or other.

Changing the axle offset in the fork legs and changing the triple clamp offset both change the exact same dimension of the steering geometry in the same way. This is one reason that trying to buy clamp sets for CRF's is such a confused proposition. They've changed the axle offset a couple of times through the years.

All YZ/YZF's through '09 had 25mm offset clamps. The '10 and up use 22mm offsets. Testing with the '10+ has mostly shown very little positive effect to altering the clamp offset one way or other.

This would also change the ride height and wheel base, correct?

This would also change the ride height and wheel base, correct?

Technically, yes. Significantly, no. Assuming a 27 degree head angle, a 3mm change in axle or clamp offset will change the wheelbase 2.7mm, and the ride height by only 1.35mm. What changes significantly that affects handling is trail.

Read: https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/361447-22mm-rg3-triple-clamps-combo-f-06-450/#entry3184395

• 1 year later...