HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3mice

2012 YZ450F oversized fuel tank

18 posts in this topic

Hello! I just bought a '12 450f EFI and seeing as I mainly do long desert races (70-100 miles) I am needing to get a large capacity tank. Does anyone have any pictures of their bikes with a larger tank? I am trying to find the best looking one and Google isn't being very helpful in this aspect. Thanks!

Based on the IMS website, they only make one tank for that bike..... 2.4 gallons. The picture on the site shows a black tank so maybe the tank in this thread was a custom product...

Based on the IMS website, they only make one tank for that bike..... 2.4 gallons. The picture on the site shows a black tank so maybe the tank in this thread was a custom product...

No, its just the clear/natural tank.......

It wont take 70 to 100 miles racing, maybe 50-70 maybe. It is a good duralble tank and fits the 11 well

Edited by poppa

I have the 11 with that tank and you will be lucky to get over 50. This bike is a gas hog. I carry 2 16 oz Gatorade bottles of gas and top off at 1st rest point or just bring an empty to mooch off my buddies if needed. I've never ridden with the stock tank but I'd be worried about running out of gas before I even lost site of my truck with that thing.

3mice you should be able to make fifty, fill the tank at the start line or push the bike to the line though. I'm talking about a cc race with 5-- 10 to 12 mile laps not a desert run. We would have about 1/2 quart left on our 11 450 Same tank as the one in the pic but we don't have the quick fill.

Edited by poppa

That sketches me out, I race a 100 mile every year that is two laps of 50.. its whooped out hard desert, fairly straight forward and the bike will be pretty wide open most of the time.

Your're clicking off miles faster is the desert so it should make 50 as long as your are geared so you're not pinned the whole time. I'd still carry a little reserve in a Gatorade bottle.

Here's a pic of my new 3,3g Clarke tank, that will go 160km/100mi in snowy trails, should do it for your application

PS12-02-13.jpg

That sketches me out, I race a 100 mile every year that is two laps of 50.. its whooped out hard desert, fairly straight forward and the bike will be pretty wide open most of the time.

D100?

I finally did a trail ride on my 12 yz450 saturday. We did 30miles and I was down to maybe a quart left thats with the stock tank.

yzf400.jpg

Here's a better look at the Safari tank.

I'd prefer the Safari but at $500 it is a hard pill to swallow when the Clarke is just over $200.

Edited by PilotHonda