HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

PWC Regional Discussion

Forums

1. 30
    • No posts here yet

• Featured Content

Turning Stones vol 1
    The official ride video...Make sure to watch in HD The day started by waking up in a lavish hotel room at the Aranwa Resort in Urubamba, Peru. I had a couple of hours to eat breakfast, gear up, and drive across the valley to another fine hotel to meet up with Imad. A month prior, I received an email inquiry about running a one day hard enduro tour. I was available for the dates, so I began discussing the options for the tour. What I found out was that Imad, who lives in Dubai, was vacationing with his wife. He had come up with a brilliant plan to offer a full day at the spa for his wife which in turn allowed him to take advantage of another type of "SPA." Brilliant! Normally, I begin the tours from our headquarters in Cusco, but in this case, I was able to accommodate by starting at Imad's hotel in Urubamba. This gave me an excuse to bring my entire family to the valley, put them up at a nice hotel complete with all the fixings, and combine it with a one day enduro ride that has kept a smile on my face for days. I hung out with my family when I was at the hotel, then snuck out for a ride with Imad, then returned to spend more time with the family. Perfect! A couple of happy fellas I arrived at the Tambo del Inca, one of the finest hotels in Urubamba. I unloaded the bikes, prepped the lunches, warmed everything up, then headed into the lobby to find Imad. There he was with his happy wife who was about to be pampered for an entire day at the spa. She couldn't have been more happy. Imad was stoked to be able to enjoy Peru on a dirt bike. A win-win in my book! His wife made sure that I was legitimate. She was a bit concerned about me bringing him back in one piece. She mentioned the fact that there are two young kids who have a special relationship with their dad. I also fit that scenario, so I piped in my story to appease his wife that it was indeed my plan to bring Imad back alive and in good condition. Within minutes, Imad and I found ourselves mounting up on the two Husqvarna TE 300's. The trail head, just a minute away from the hotel was screaming for us to come try her out. The trail started out with a daunting strip of tight rock walled single track that resembles a jungle tunnel. It wasn't raining at the time, but it was extremely wet from the rain the night before. Imad pounded out the section with a bit of wonder about whether or not the rest of the day would be similar. I think it scared him a bit. To his pleasant surprise, I explained that it's not all as difficult, but that we would face countless obstacles in the days ride...But not to worry, it would all be worth it. Just a little rocky section to play around on We continued to work our way up the canyon with a goal of reaching the lower lake. I figured it would be a worthy goal to reach the lake, have lunch, then work our way back down the valley. Along the way up, we encountered numerous switchbacks, rock gardens, open meadows, creeks, and many a wet alpaca poop pile. The ride was just what Imad had hoped for. As a guide, I never know how people will do with the altitude. It can be a butt-kicker for some, and for others, it hardly makes a difference. With Imad, he struggled with it at first, but somehow caught a second wind as we reached the bottom of the last big obstacle before the lake. It was a rocky staircase climb that typically wreaks havoc when its dry, but this time it was soaking wet. We had  our work cut out for us. Like two mules, we worked up a good lather climbing up each of the rock steps. I made sure to tell Imad that the view would be worth it. Within a few minutes, he had the opportunity to agree with me. The view was just what Imad needed. In fact, he was so stoked about the view that he told me he wanted to try to reach the upper lake. We had plenty of time, so why not? Taking a break! The stakes go up on the route between the lakes. The terrain we saw below the first lake was only a warm up. Imad confirmed that he was indeed ready to give it a shot. Atta boy! The coolest part of the section is a waterfall that cascades down the mountain as the trail goes right through it. Check out the video if you want to see what I mean! We worked our way through the water, up a number of tight rocky switchbacks, and finally through a stand of scary red-barked trees where one would expect to find a creepy murderer with an axe. The ride is so fun that you forget the altitude. Just past the forest was the final climb before the upper lake. Imad was feeling his oats at this point. We crested the top to discover a sight to behold; The upper lake. It's absolute beauty. It was a perfect place to eat our lunch, take a million pictures and get ready to ride around the side of the lake to an untouched area where a dirt bike has never been. That is always a special treat that I can do for my customers. There are hundreds of places like that which can be explored on my tours. The upper lake never disappoints...well worth the effort! A bit of food and drink, then we mounted up and began a fun trials type of terrain complete with granite rock slabs, bright green grass, tons of mud, and views that continued to blow us away. We played around for a good hour until it was time to begin our descent to the bottom of the valley. Although it is the same trail, it seems like a different valley and route altogether. The downhill is sketchy. It's fast and rhythmic, but there are so many places to find yourself on your face. We experienced a couple of crashes, but coming down provides such a thrill...in fact, it's that type of thrill that keeps me riding. Pure smiles all the way down. A little ride through a waterfall We made it back to the hotel with nothing left in our tanks. No gas, nor energy. Completely smoked, but so satisfied! Another typical ride in the Andes of Peru! Make sure to check out the ride video to see what I am talking about. I can't wait to share another one next time around. Stay tuned and make sure to follow the blog so you can see the next post when it comes out. Until the next one, Scott Check out more of our hard enduro videos on our Youtube channel at MotoMission Peru Dirtbike Adventures.  
    Posted by scottiedawg on Feb 19, 2017

Looking California feeling like Minnesota:
    As the series hits the East Coast swing Ryan Dungey normally hits his stride by clicking off wins and asserting his dominance.  This year is proving different.  Musquin and Tomac are stronger and can sense a vulnerability in Dungey we have not seen before.  Are we witnessing Father Time catch up with Dungey?  Is he injured?  Did the Roczen injury mess with his head?  These are all factors I hear fans discussing.  I have a friend who is close to the riders at the Bakery who told me Dungey is suffering from an Epstein Barr/Mononucleosis type of illness.  While I am not 100% sure about what's going on with Dungey, clearly something is off.  Riders who are overworked and under fed (Aldon’s program) is news we have heard before, most recently Ken Roczen was extremely critical of the program. Assuming this is Dungey’s issue, Musquin has to know what is going on.  Training alongside your competition with an “iron sharpens iron” philosophy is how the riders in the Bakery train.  This can be a huge benefit to the riders, until they are attempting to hide a weakness from their main competitor.  While Musquin was riding high with confidence after his win in Dallas, maybe he had inside knowledge about Dungey struggling late in the races and that is why he charged hard late in the race.  I can't ever remember watching Dungey get repeatedly caught and passed at the end of races.  With 9 races, and two riders within 24 points of Dungey, the championship is wide open.  While 3rd place isn't a bad finish, Tomac gained 5 points and Musquin gained 2, it’s getting interesting. Loved seeing the 250 East guys.  Every rider wanted to come out swinging and establish themselves as “the guy.”  Confidence is important in Supercross, probably the most important thing a rider can have as the first race establishes the pecking order.  Joey Savatgy did what most experts predicted.  While his performance didn't overwhelm the competition, a win is still a win.  Jordan Smith may have found what had been missing the last few years.  In the past we’ve seen flashes of speed followed by spectacular crashes.  He rode solid in the Main event providing him the confidence needed to make him a consistent podium guy and maybe get his first career win this year.  Zach Osborne is desperately trying to get his first win and it shows, he is not content with a podium finish.  He will win or crash trying.  Round Two in Atlanta will be make or break for both Alex Martin and Christian Craig.  Martin’s night ended in the first turn with a vicious crash, hopefully he will be alright for Atlanta.  Craig had a bad start and got caught up in first round mayhem earning him a 12th place finish.  He will need a podium in Atlanta to get back in this championship. We are seeing the attrition of Supercross taking a toll on the field.  Last night we lost both Cooper Webb and Justin Bogle, not sure how bad their injuries are but both walked off and Bogle said via Instagram that he will be racing in Atlanta.  Webb’s injury looked severe, when somebody grabs their arm and immediately walks away from the track, not even removing their goggles, I get worried.  These guys are gladiators and being dramatic about injuries is not something they do, this isn't Soccer or Basketball.  Hopefully his injury isn't serious, we’ll find out in Atlanta.
    Posted by Chris Cooksey on Feb 20, 2017

EVS R4K Race Collar
    The R4K is a completely new race collar for 2016. It features a revolutionary Koroyd™ core with superior impact absorption and a reinforced nylon upper shell. The chassis has been completely redesigned to be lighter and more aerodynamic. In an impact, the head is pushed down on the race collar. The R4K effectively fills the gap between your helmet and shoulder with Koroyd, which absorbs impact energy better than standard race collar materials.   - Koroyd® engineered core for superior impact absorption - Reinforced nylon upper shell - Lightweight, aerodynamic chassis design - Rapid lock closure system for easy front entry - Integrated X-Strap cleats - Polyurethane foam base - Sizes: Youth, Adult
    Posted by Russhole on Jan 27, 2017

WORX GLOVES Worx Performance Gloves
    WORX PERFORMANCE GLOVES Now has a complete line of the  Best disposable work gloves in the Power sports industry. Our Gloves have been tested and used by all AMA professional race teams for several Years. Our Gloves range in thickness from 5mil-14mil for maximum protection from harsh solvents and chemical found in the professional workplace.  http://www.worxgloves.com/default.asp
    Posted by King Louie on Apr 14, 2014

Help! - Bike Only Starts When Pushed
    Today I want to talk about a situation I hear all too often. Someone’s bike, whether it be a two-stroke or four-stroke, only starts when it is pushed. Before I discuss potential causes for this scenario, take a moment to think through the situation yourself. What mechanical factors would result in either a two-stroke or four-stroke only starting when it is bump started? In either case, the reason the engine is able to start when it is push started is because it is able to build more compression than it otherwise could when it is kicked or the electric starter is engaged. More compression is achievable because the cranking RPM is higher than what’s possible with the aforementioned starting methods. With a higher cranking RPM for a four-stroke, more air will fill the cylinder on the intake stroke, and for a two-stroke the scavenging process will be improved. With this being the case we must look at reasons why the engine is struggling to build compression in the first place. Starting problems specific to four-strokes: 1. Valve seat recession - When a valve seat wears out and recedes, the valve moves up towards the camshaft. This leads to diminished valve clearances and if left to run its course, the valve and shim will bottom on the camshaft’s base circle. The next time the valve clearances are checked the problematic valve will be re-shimmed so the clearances are correct. Once this is done, the valve will have a gap between it and its corresponding seat. 2. The valve is bent - A valve with a serious bow to it may get jammed up inside the guide and not return all the way back to its seat. Bent valves typically result from an over-revved engine where the valves contact the piston. Valves can also bend to a lesser extent if they were mated to valve seats that were not cut concentrically to the guides, or they were paired with worn seats. 3. The valve stuck in the guide - This is usually due to the engine overheating. When the engine overheated the clearance between the valve and guide diminished which caused metal to transfer from one part to the other, ultimately ruining the surface finish on one or both parts. Once this happens the valve may be prone to sticking in the guide until the engine warms up. 4. The valves and seats do not seal well - Worn valves and valve seats can compromise the seal between them. Valve and seat wear is a natural part of running an engine but can also be accelerated by ingesting dirty air. Starting problems specific to two-strokes: 1. The reed valve is worn - Reed petals that don’t close all the way, are chipped, or bent will not allow sealing of the crankcase and efficient gas flow up from the crankcase into the cylinder. 2. An engine seal or gasket has failed - A two-stroke engine requires a well sealed crankcase and cylinder in order for it to scavenge gases efficiently. A worn crank seal, leaky base gasket, or problematic power valve seal can all make starting more difficult. Two and four-stroke problems: 1. The piston rings are worn - Worn piston rings will allow compressed gases to escape past them. 2. The head gasket or o-rings are leaking - Usually a leaking cylinder head will be accompanied by white smoke if coolant is being pushed into the combustion chamber, by coolant being blown out the radiator, or both. I hope you found this rundown of potential problems useful for diagnosing bikes that like bump starting over a kick or the push of a button. Can you think of any other problems that would lead to lack of compression? If so, leave a comment and share them. If you liked this post and want more technical info, check out my book, The Four Stroke Dirt Bike Engine Building Handbook. In it you will find over 300 pages of technical knowledge to help you get off on the right foot when rebuilding! - Paul   Amazon DIYMotoFix.com  
    Posted by Paul Olesen on Feb 08, 2017

• Popular Now