05 WR450 VS 05 KTM 450 exc......

the WR has a lot of crap on it to tame it down. How much you have ridden it also helps.

Mine had done about 1200kms and the engine revs so much more freely and is making great power now. It was lame when I first got it.

Have you done all the free mods and got it jetted properly? It makes a huge difference.

I drag raced a freind on his new KTM 450exc, and he smoked me! Is Yamaha going to a 6 speed trany soon, or do I need to put a 25" tire on my bike? ?

Interesting because I ride with several guys and one has an 05 KTM EXC450, the other runs a 04 WR450, it has been uncorked, but stock muffler and everything else. The WR rider weighed more and they "dragged" also, the WR pulled the KTM, didnt blow it away, but just kept pulling further away. The KTM has 11.0 compression while the WR uses 12.5 or 12.3 for th enewer ones. More compression means more "energy". The KTM had a 6 spd, the WR had a 5. But the KTM did swap to a 13 tooth up front, but this would technically give it more grunt you'd think.

IMHO the yami 5 valve motor is better. and can be woken WAY up with a YZ cam. but my next bike will be an EXC {575cc &sx cam}. i personally cant live with a 5 speed trans any more if I'm buying new. sob sob sob.

You need to get rid of the silly straw inside the pipe as well as the bolt on tube under the cap. Also, a 160 main in Florida sounds awfully lean. I'm in Reno, NV at 4500' and I've been running a 165 and I need to bump mine up. You might want to try a 48 Pilot as well...SC

What you should do is kick the wr into the pond and pick up a 525exc. Then you might beat the 450exc

:-)

besides being an ? ,he has a point!!!

the 510/540/575cc ktm motors fly. so does the hus 650fse.

and they both have 6 gears.........

more $$$, but well worth it. ?

What silencer is recomended? I read about the YOSH in "Dirt Bike" magazine's pipe test, it sounds like the pipe to get...... any other preferences?

Gary

I'm running stock pipe with pmb insert. If I was to do a pipe it would be the Yosh ...