On Any (every) Sunday... Those were the days.

Great photos and stories everyone. I really miss those days... Here is some more vintage viewing pleasure for everyone...

Christmas morning December 1974, A brand new shiny 1975 CR125M to start out the 1975 racing season. I loved that bike, it was super fast, light and great fun to ride. If only I could find one today stuffed in the back of a barn somewhere!!!!

CR125M1-Christmas74.jpg

Flash forward 2 years, summer 1977, my senior year in high school and a very trick 1977 Yamaha YZ125C. Photo at Enfield Moto Park, NY. Notice the high tech (stock) Nitrogen bottles on the air forks. Cutting edge...

EnfieldNY-1977-2.jpg

And.... Another photo of Nationals, this time Mexico NY 1974 Rex and the thumper, and notice the riders to his left and right... Jimmy W. on a factory KX, and a factory Suzuki on the left....

MexicoNY1974National.jpg

:cool::applause::busted::crazy: Heli

• Like 1

Ah yes. I used to ride in 5-6 places that were no more than 15 miles from my home in suburban San Diego County, and race regularly at tracks as close as 9 miles away. The bikes are clearly better now, but so much has been lost.

The 4 smaller pictures are thumbnails. You can click to enlarge.

1971 on a BSA Goldstar Clubman at Dehesa, Open Expert:

2417104896.jpg

Same Year on a G85 Matchless in the 500 Expert at South Bay Speedway:

2417100317.jpg

'71 again, on the 750 Norton N15 at Southbay. Behind me is Don Emde, and behind him is Don Vesco. They stayed there.:

2417263542.jpg

1972, on the way to a number one plate in the ACA series at South Bay (Norton 750, Trackmaster frame):

Norton%20at%20South%20Bay.jpg

'72 at Dehesa on my own BSA Victor B50. This was the first lap, and it's as close as the 400 Suzuki and the Triumph twin were going to get. The track was too small and loose, and they just couldn't beat the little thumper that I rode 3 times a week for fun. :

35319511765.jpg

And then, in '73, MX at the Carlsbad International course on a '71 CZ 380. Notice the Open Bell 500 helmet, leather pants, leather buckled boots with the socks rolled over the top, the Carrera goggles, and Jofa mouth gaurd, all very much souci du style :

CZ%20at%20Carlsbad.jpg

I love those old CZ's... I always wanted one....

Here are 3 more photos....

Practice after school, 1974 on the CR125M... Not the protective gear...

EnfieldNY-1974-11.jpg

Dansville NY again, CR125, Note the trick DG radial head and sweet Italian upside down piggyback forward mounted gas shocks...

Dansville-1975-2.jpg

My very first expert race, 1975 Macedon, NY again, the trusty tricked 75' CR125M

Macedon-1975-3.jpg

Keep em coming old timers!!!!:cool::applause::busted:

Notice a number of old CR125 riders in here. Here's one I found in a barn for $125. Took a bit of work to get it to look like this:

P9301116.jpg

Ok, says KTM on the back of the seat, but how many of today's young kTm riders would know what it says on the gas tank?

PA010942.jpg

WHo is old enough to remember when you met the nicest people on bikes like the one on the left and amatuer races actually stripped down and raced scrambles with the one on the right? (what the *H* was motocross?? Never heard of it)

P9301108.jpg

• Like 1

Remember the real *thumpers* of the dirbike world:

03_15_8.jpg

Ceriani suspension front and rear. going to race an enduro...put the lights back on it. Going to go race a rough scrambles, take all the lights, etc back off. Never did a lot of motor work, even with the ceriani, the handling/suspension rarely allowed you to outride what power the motor had. Protective Gear? a helmet, jeans and 8in lace-up work boots pretty much covered it.

Speaking of stripped down Honda's for the dirt, 1966:

S90.jpg

Remember when the most popular dirtbike racing in America went in circles, from the AMA #1 plate down to the local Saturday night shorttracks:

M-burg.jpg

• Like 1

1972, on the way to a number one plate in the ACA series at South Bay (Norton 750, Trackmaster frame):

Norton%20at%20South%20Bay.jpg

Now this is a great shot :cool: Notice the eyes, it's the look of "get the hell out of my way I'm coming through" :applause: And to top it off, I see no gloves on that man's hand's.....damn! I can understand the " I have better feel with no gloves" thing, but sheeezz!

This thread must go on.........more vintage pics, more vintage pics, bring it!!!

I'd like to contribute too, but my early pics start in 81 and I don't find that worthy yet.......maybe another 10 yrs.

Hey Grayracer, that Norton looks sweet - it looks like the same one that Alex Jorgenson used to race the nationals with. I did some flat tracking back then on a Triumph/Trackmaster. Nice photos - at first I thought the CZ pic was CZ's whiz kid Greg Robertson. You ripped back in the day.

Here's some Saturday short track action at Millburg Speedway, Millburg MI.:

doc008.jpg

doc009.jpg

What most folks nowadays don't know about is the history of dirtbikes in the USA. The shorttracks, the county fairgrounds, the big flattracks were the top rung of the ladder in off-road motorcycle racing for decades. And that's one of the great things about OAS, a great glimpse into a great time in motorcycling history.

• Like 1

Notice a number of old CR125 riders in here. Here's one I found in a barn for $125. Took a bit of work to get it to look like this:

P9301116.jpg

Ok, says KTM on the back of the seat, but how many of today's young kTm riders would know what it says on the gas tank?

PA010942.jpg

WHo is old enough to remember when you met the nicest people on bikes like the one on the left and amatuer races actually stripped down and raced scrambles with the one on the right? (what the *H* was motocross?? Never heard of it)

P9301108.jpg

pentons! i bought my dad a penton tee shirt. trust me mydad has been preaching me about vintage mx since the day i got my TTR.

my dads collection included a hodoka super rat, younger sibling of the combat wombat 125 and thunderrrrbug? i think? maybe? no? 250. its thundersomething.

then my dad had annnnn 82, 86, and 87 husky 250 cr. my scanner isnt working but have a pic of his 86 i think it is. maybe someone can clarify those years better. i really dont know.

carolannpictures1539.jpg

here he is at claverack i think. any one of you ny folks remember claverack? went there last spring. track is lookin good. :cool:

2e28ac46.jpg

25 years later at walden on his 200SX. first time riding that bike he rides up and goes DAMN, 20 years really does alot for power and suspension! (clearly, 25 years also changes goggle strap fashions. :applause: )

carolannpictures1185.jpg

check out my garage for our 1982 husky 250CR and 1970 CT70.

• Like 1