Any XR650R owners ride or own a KTM 525?

KTM 525 is much more nimble then the XR650R but, at a price in the big races. Running the KTM on big weekend rides it is much more fun then the XR650R but, you get tacked much faster. Using it to pre-run part of the Baja 250 though the big whoops and the bike feels alive. After a half hour going through these big whoops and I am hating the linkless rear suspension. If KTM would use the Linked suspension they have on the 690 I would have the KTM 525.

But, I think it silly that this KTM 690 keeps coming up on the group after all the facts have been hashed out. It will be street leagel in all 50 states.

It feels more like a MX bike till you lean it or go into a turn. Had more trouble in the long runs of nasty whoops and is a tank in the air.

KTM 690 is 40 pounds heavier then the XR650R and has the same horsepower as the XR650R with a full HRC kit. A second place in spite all this shows how good the KTM team riders were in the last Baja. If they pre-ran the Baja on and raced it with a tricked out XR650R they might not have gotten second but, first! (this was actualy brought up)

It is not an answer to the XR650R but, to the XR650L.

For those that haven't seen it in use;

Here is some pictures of it's run in the last SCORE Baja race:

I think it's pretty sad you make a comparison of apples to oranges to justify your view.

How does the stock XR560R (NOT HRC kit as you mention) compare to the KTM690? I'd be willing to bet it hoses it.

Then if you want to make HRC kit comparos against the KTM690 then we'll see what the factory race team comes up with - my money is on the KTM due to one reason - modern design and engine development.

Furthermore your claims about the riders winning baja are spot on so why make a monster deal about an 8 year old bike when as you say it's the riders who win it? Seems disingenious to me?

I think it's pretty sad you make a comparison of apples to oranges to justify your view.

How does the stock XR560R (NOT HRC kit as you mention) compare to the KTM690? I'd be willing to bet it hoses it.

Then if you want to make HRC kit comparos against the KTM690 then we'll see what the factory race team comes up with - my money is on the KTM due to one reason - modern design and engine development.

Furthermore your claims about the riders winning baja are spot on so why make a monster deal about an 8 year old bike when as you say it's the riders who win it? Seems disingenious to me?

The main point (seems you are just going to avoid it) is horsepower to weight ratio. The KTM 690 is way over weight. Just take the horsepower to weight ratio the XR650R has the KTM. The point is that with a XR650R the KTM team might have won and this was talked about. What is so modern about the design...different, yes, modern maybe in that they got the weight to be at a lower center of gravity but, that doesn't mean a lower center of gravity then the XR650R. It still has to put the extra 20~40 pounds somewhere. I have always said. it takes both rider and bike, great rider better bike, makes for a better chance of winning. Well, this seems to be a no brainer to me and those that live, ride, race out here on the west coast but, there are different thought patterns from other parts of the world. Have fun with your thoughts, just doesn't seem to work for me.

The main point (seems you are just going to avoid it) is horsepower to weight ratio. The KTM 690 is way over weight. Just take the horsepower to weight ratio the XR650R has the KTM. The point is that with a XR650R the KTM team might have won and this was talked about. What is so modern about the design...different, yes, modern maybe in that they got the weight to be at a lower center of gravity but, that doesn't mean a lower center of gravity then the XR650R. It still has to put the extra 20~40 pounds somewhere. I have always said. it takes both rider and bike, great rider better bike, makes for a better chance of winning. Well, this seems to be a no brainer to me and those that live, ride, race out here on the west coast but, there are different thought patterns from other parts of the world. Have fun with your thoughts, just doesn't seem to work for me.

So where are you getting published figures for weight from? I'd really like to see them.

The bike is a KTM SM690 that some real good race guys made into the Baja 690. The bike they started with weighs 335 pounds dry weight. Do a google search and you can find this yourself. I have sent an 'e' to find out what they got the final weight to be for the Baja race. I am sure after taking off that big exhaust they were able to drop some weight. I am at work for the last 20 hours and will be here for at least 14 more but, once I get home maybe there will be an answer. But, you knew that from what I wrote before. Keep betting on the big orange Pumpkin. It seems to be the bike of you dreams. Maybe when they finaly become a real bike that you can buy, you can get one and find out if your dreams are true.?

Makes me think where you get your idea's that this over weight bike is a "XR650R" killer.

Yes, stock XR650R is 44rwhp and this KTM bike is 51~52 rwhp (same as the HRC XR650R )

Ok, to get the XR650L weight idea into perspective:

KTM SM690 335 pounds, Stock XR650L 324 pounds, You would have to strip 11 pounds just to get to the XR650L and you can strip 15 pounds off the XR650L. Even if you could get rid of 10 pounds of exhaust (dreaming) you still have a big orange pumpkin. I do think they could have stripped about 20 pounds off the bike but, what a 350 pound (full of fuel) race bike? Even if you got all the way down to the weight of the XR650R you have what? This is like I said, silly at best. This sure isn't the dream bike to replace the XR650R for me....

(What's sad is that it's a pumpkin and a pig, not the aforementioned)

( The stock 650 was not the discussion, anyone who actually rides one or has touched one or knows anything about a 650 can testify to this...)

( My money is on the Honda, history does repeat itself, over and over and over and....hell same motor for 8 years....that's strange.....:excuseme: )

( Riders do win the races, it's the bike that has to be able to get them there to the finish the fastest and running:lol: .....................)

The KTM is a great woods bike, a good motocross bike, and a fair dual-sport bike (never rode one in the desert). The XR650R is a great desert bike, a good D/S bike, and a decent woods bike. It would be nice to have both.

Throw enough money at either a 650 or a 520/525/530 and you can have one bike for it all. But with that much money spent, you could have one of each (I think this is where I have erred ? )!

I have a XR650R (04). My riding buddy has a 525EXC (06). Both are dualsported. We ride mostly fast open trails, some single track, and even MX.

XR650R summary: Stock not to impressive. Cheaply/easily uncorked. Torque.

Rides like a cadillac at high speeds. Very stable at high speeds. Heavy, but not noticeable at speed. Steer with the rear tire/throttle. 5 speed tranny. Easy maintenance. Made for fast, wide open spaces. love the BRP and will keep it forever.

525EXC: Ready to race out of the box. Not as torquey, but revs up faster than the XR. I really like the engine. 6 speed tranny. Seat sucks. Bike is a little squirly (XR is rock solid). Bike is much lighter. It feels like a bicycle coming off the XR. My buddy said the maintenance is not hard, but expensive.

Anyhoo...I like the XR better in fast open spaces. The 525 is better when the trails tighten up. The XR has proven reliability. No problems with the 525 yet (1800 miles). The KTM costs more, but already has all the goodies on it: Excel rims, nice carb, ProTaper bars, computer, Magura clutch, etc

I own both the XR650R and the 525EXC. The XR650R is by far more comfortable and I prefer it on long open desert type rides. The 525 is a great single track bike and does do the desert very nicely but not as comfortable. I don't believe my 525 will have near the longevity of the XR650R before it needs a major overhaul. The 525 is rock solid dependable but will need work sooner than the 650. My 525s motor is still really dependable with 3500 miles on it but it is starting to smoke a bit and I suspect the valves are cupping and the rings showing their age. I am not afraid to ride anywhere. It has never let me down and still runs great but has lost some of its hit since I first bought it brand new in 2004.

Now let me suggest you get a good 2 stroke as your second bike. Maybe a KTM 300EXC. Use that as your woods weapon and the XR650R for everything else. If you have a dual sported XR650R you are indeed lucky. They won't let me dual sport mine here in Washington.

I own both the XR650R and the 525EXC. The XR650R is by far more comfortable and I prefer it on long open desert type rides. The 525 is a great single track bike and does do the desert very nicely but not as comfortable. I don't believe my 525 will have near the longevity of the XR650R before it needs a major overhaul. The 525 is rock solid dependable but will need work sooner than the 650. My 525s motor is still really dependable with 3500 miles on it but it is starting to smoke a bit and I suspect the valves are cupping and the rings showing their age. I am not afraid to ride anywhere. It has never let me down and still runs great but has lost some of its hit since I first bought it brand new in 2004.

Now let me suggest you get a good 2 stroke as your second bike. Maybe a KTM 300EXC. Use that as your woods weapon and the XR650R for everything else. If you have a dual sported XR650R you are indeed lucky. They won't let me dual sport mine here in Washington.

3500 miles and the XR650R intake valves are cupping also but, the rest usualy is good for more then 20,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
The bike is a KTM SM690 that some real good race guys made into the Baja 690. The bike they started with weighs 335 pounds dry weight. Do a google search and you can find this yourself. I have sent an 'e' to find out what they got the final weight to be for the Baja race. I am sure after taking off that big exhaust they were able to drop some weight. I am at work for the last 20 hours and will be here for at least 14 more but, once I get home maybe there will be an answer. But, you knew that from what I wrote before. Keep betting on the big orange Pumpkin. It seems to be the bike of you dreams. Maybe when they finaly become a real bike that you can buy, you can get one and find out if your dreams are true.?

BWB the 690 baja is now production and will be released in Australia in April. KTM.com.au

Pretty soon we will have specs on the bike and will be able to make more meaningful comparisons to the XR650R. My bet for power is massive increase over the 650R, road legal (for US as all our KTMs are road legal) and great fuel economy with that monster power, great ergos and massive tankage - all stock of course.

BTW I dont think the comparo to the 690SM for 690Baja makes sense. It's similar to comparing a 650R/600R to a 650L or European 650L motard. Stock of course, cos anything is possible at the aftermarket.

http://www.ktm.com.au/news.php?newsid=1017

Yes, great! Vages to Reno what a big time, long race and they came in third with the new KTM 690 Enduro. Not much news there, nothing very wonderful here. Still a heavy bike and your dreaming if you think it's lighter then the XR650R.

It is sad that Brandon Smith lost control of his bike and died in this race. Gene Lane racing his XR650R was one of the first to the seen and started CPR on Brandon Smith but, to no help. It was a very sad day and very hard on Gen Lane, he is thinking of no longer racing because of this horrible death of Brandon Smith. I was in the works of putting together the suspension on Gene's newest XR650R for the Baja 1000 but, that is on hold now till he desides if his heart is still into racing.

http://www.ktm.com.au/news.php?newsid=1017

Yes, great! Vages to Reno what a big time, long race and they came in third with the new KTM 690 Enduro. Not much news there, nothing very wonderful here. Still a heavy bike and your dreaming if you think it's lighter then the XR650R.

It is sad that Brandon Smith lost control of his bike and died in this race. Gene Lane racing his XR650R was one of the first to the seen and started CPR on Brandon Smith but, to no help. It was a very sad day and very hard on Gen Lane, he is thinking of no longer racing because of this horrible death of Brandon Smith. I was in the works of putting together the suspension on Gene's newest XR650R for the Baja 1000 but, that is on hold now till he desides if his heart is still into racing.

No no the press release on the new bike - not what races it has won or lost.?

I agree a rider dead is terrible and offer my prayers for their families.

You have a dualsported KX500 and a KTM525 but you can't get your XR done? Crazy California laws crossing over into your state?

My "woods Weapon" has to be plated as well. It's only for getting to and joining trails but still needs to be legal. Oh ya and I want electric start too no talking me out of it this time. So with the exception of the up coming KTM 300 no 2 stroke in that class has electric start that I know of. Plus I think the 2 stroke may draw more attention(the wrong kind) on the street with alittle more noise. The 690 is not looking like it would appeal to me but I would still like to see how a final production machine stacks up. I'm not looking for a 650R replacement. Just another option depending on where or what the riding terrain will be.

You have a dualsported KX500 and a KTM525 but you can't get your XR done? Crazy California laws crossing over into your state?

My "woods Weapon" has to be plated as well. It's only for getting to and joining trails but still needs to be legal. Oh ya and I want electric start too no talking me out of it this time. So with the exception of the up coming KTM 300 no 2 stroke in that class has electric start that I know of. Plus I think the 2 stroke may draw more attention(the wrong kind) on the street with alittle more noise. The 690 is not looking like it would appeal to me but I would still like to see how a final production machine stacks up. I'm not looking for a 650R replacement. Just another option depending on where or what the riding terrain will be.

My KX500 was my first dirt bike. I purchased it back in 1997 when they let you dual sport dirt bikes in Washington. About a month after I purchased my first XR650R in 2000 they stopped letting us dual sport the Japanese dirt bikes. I had put off dual sporting the 650 thinking I would do it in a month or so. That's what I get for thinking.

To bad you're missing out. It's a great DS bike. There's just some times I ride where something else might be alittle more fun. I've got lots of riding close to me but not having to trailer there opens up so much more.?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my XR650R has an after market electric starter which has worked flawlessly for 2 years. The electric starter is flat out ugly but it works when you need it.

• Like 1

Yes I remember you replied to a post of mine on the subject of electric start kits. I still want one but just can't pull the trigger on buying one. Will the battery start it repeatedly and keep a charge? I do have a rewound stator too. Also do you have to pull in the decompressor lever to start it? What are the down sides besides weight and looks?