The '01 Clutch Mod for the 2000 YZ426

This subject came up several times recently, and has been asked about so many times that it's difficult to search for, due to the number of hits you get on the key words. I decided to re-post it and link it to Common Threads to make it easier to find in the future. Anyone who knows better please tell me if any of the information here is incorrect. Credit for the original post is not my own, but belongs to "cowboyona426". Read his original post also:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83453

Basically, the '01 clutch mod for grabby and/or dragging 2000 YZ426 clutches involves nothing more complicated than the installation of the complete plate kit from an '01 model:

8 of 5JG-16325-00-00 PLATE, CLUTCH 2 (item 7)

8 of 3XK-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION (item 8)

1 of JG-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION (item 12) **

1 of JG-16383-00-00 SPRING, CLUTCH BOSS (item 13) **

1 of JG-16384-00-00 PLATE, SEAT (item 14) **

1 of 93511-32027-00 BEARING, BALL (PUSH ROD ASSY.)

1 of 5JG-16356-00-00 ROD, PUSH 1 (short, outer)

1 of 5JG-16357-10-00 ROD, PUSH 2 (long, inner)

** These 3 three items are the key to the conversion. If your current clutch plates are really OK, you can reuse them, but you have to replace the first friction plate with the seat plate, #14. The boss spring is beveled, or conical, and the concave side faces outward on assembly. The push rods are needed to adjust for the slightly different stack height of the '01 plates. You can adjust the cable to cover it, but the later rod is a bit of an upgrade in any case.

Another thing that improves the YZF clutch somewhat is an upgrade to a GYT-R or Hinson pressure plate. And, it should go without saying, the condition of the basket and boss will also affect how it engages and disengages.

1038_clutch.gif

Thanks for reposting Gray. Definately the right place for it. I am getting ready to finally do the 03 450 CAM mod on my 00 YZ426 (Thanks to some help from 642MX) and am eventually going to do the 01 clutch mod as well. The clutch on my bike has always been grabby. Just out of curiousity, would the complete plate kit from an 02 work as well? 642MX - You see where I am going? ?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Am I wrong or was there a simpler step to this instead of replacing all the plates etc?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you only had to replace the outter two plates or something like that,not the entire set up.

Thanks for the clarification.

If the rest of your clutch pack is good, you only need to replace the inner most friction plate, then add the spring boss and spring plate, along with the push rod parts. If your clutch has some age on it though, it might not hurt just to replace the whole thing so you know it's fresh.

Thanks cowboy. The clutch has only about a dozen or so trail rides on it so I dont' think it's worth ditching the whole thing. And also this is my backup bike. It doesn't get used that much, if it did, I would have done this and the cam mod already. As it is I just suck it up and feather the clutch at times, and if that fails, pull the decompression lever and give er a good wack at just the right spot and usually fires right up on first kick.

Thanks for the 411 though man. <thumpsup>

If the rest of your clutch pack is good, you only need to replace the inner most friction plate, then add the spring boss and spring plate, along with the push rod parts. If your clutch has some age on it though, it might not hurt just to replace the whole thing so you know it's fresh.

Hi, Cowboy. I've never done a clutch before so the terms are somewhat Greek to me. Is the inner most friction plate a number 8, or a number 12 in Gray's picture above? Also is the "spring boss" item 13 in Gray's pic? Finally, which item is the "spring plate"? Thanks much. I can't wait to get rid of this super grabby clutch!

Hi, Cowboy. I've never done a clutch before so the terms are somewhat Greek to me. Is the inner most friction plate a number 8, or a number 12 in Gray's picture above? Also is the "spring boss" item 13 in Gray's pic? Finally, which item is the "spring plate"? Thanks much. I can't wait to get rid of this super grabby clutch!
Look in the parts list above the illustration. The item numbers from the picture are right there.

The innermost friction plate is #12.

The grabby clutch comes from 2 things.

First the update of parts 12,13,14 will fix it.

But if you already have a notched basket, that is the 2nd part of it. I always run a Hinson or GYTR basket and never had issues with them.

Also to add for reduced clutch pull, use a CR ratio lever and perch to lessen the pull and keep the cable lubed. I have always run the ASV setups and they always reduced the pull nicely on the yamahas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking at your post and that is exactly what I have been looking for. Just one question: So I am doing the parts from an '01 as you described, if I get the Hinson pressure plate, am I ordering from an '01 also or do I buy the press plate from a '00?

I tried that 'mod' on my 2000. I wound up taking the newer parts out and putting it back the way it was. I eventually put a Hinson basket and hub in.....end of problems!

Well, i am going to give it a go and see what happens. My clutch is geeting more and mroe grabby, making kind of a "humming" sound...I think the clutches and/or stators/plates are roasted. What do you think of the "humming" sound? Bad clutches?

If I do the Hinson press plate, do i need a new hub and basket (hinson brand) as well? Or can i just use the Hinson press plate?

Edited by ninthrazor
more info