Best deal on rear hub?

Hey guys, on my last trip at the track it apears my sprocket bolts came loose (:bonk::naughty::bonk::D ) and of course bouncing through the whoops the sprocket tore off the hub taking a good bit with it. Now I'm looking for a new rear-hub on a very tight budget. I am a college student, and wont have and more money untill the summer. I have about $100 now, and might be able to talk my dad into "loaning" me a little bit for the parts. Anyways, what is the best price you guys have seen on hubs?

I am not really particular, as long as it works (I would even consider used if I found a good price on ebay).

The chain is fine, and the sprocket looks to be alright (I still need to make sure its still perfectly flat, and that it didnt bend when the impact ripped it from the hub).

Also, Its alright to use the same spokes etc right? The hub is still intact, it just is missing alot of the area that the sprocket bolts to.

PS: Go tighten your sprocket bolts!

PPS: If anyone upgraded to aftermarket hubs, I would love to buy your stocker off ya! (mstock711@hotmail.com)

Also, after a good deal of looking, does anyone sell just the hubs? I have checked 5-6 stores already and they only offer rims and spokes by themselves. If you want a hub you have to by a wheelset.

That Talon (I know it wont be cheap) part number is TW665A, but I still havent been able to find anyone that carries just the hub.

You should check a couple of close Yamaha dealers and ask them if they have any used ones lying around from people changing to billet hubs. You might be able to pick one up cheap.

Sounds like a good idea, all of the local dealers are owned by the same guy (so they communicate pretty well)

I have looked at the warp 9 wheelsets, and would like to not spend that much (especially since I wont have it untill mid summer)

I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago and actually broke my sproket in 3 piecess, so i placed and ad here in the classified section and found a used hub for $50.00 shipped to my door. Or they have them new ones here in the TT store for around $85.00. There are a lot of different year hubs you can use so post something in the classifieds and im sure you'll get a bite soon.

This problem is not from the bolts coming loose, it's from the bolts breaking.

And the bolts break because the sprocket is getting pulled out from the hub, and the sprocket is getting pulled out from the hub because your chain was too tight.

If you examime the breaks, the hub and the sprocket it will tell the whole story.

Wouldn't it suck to purchase all new parts, put it all back together, only to have it do it again?

By the way, you can get a new hub on TT for $86 and at Zanotti's for $82.

hubbreak.jpg

This problem is not from the bolts coming loose, it's from the bolts breaking.

And the bolts break because the sprocket is getting pulled out from the hub, and the sprocket is getting pulled out from the hub because your chain was too tight.

If you examime the breaks, the hub and the sprocket it will tell the whole story.

Wouldn't it suck to purchase all new parts, put it all back together, only to have it do it again?

By the way, you can get a new hub on TT for $86 and at Zanotti's for $82.

hubbreak.jpg

Im pretty sure that mine was due to loose bolts (as even the bolts that are still intact are a bit loose). My sprocket is just fine (or so I think, it is definately intact), and I know that the chain was on the loose side (not to loose, but getting there) on that ride.

I can tell from the damage that the sprocket was pulled from the hub (as you said), however I suspect that one bolt was loose enough that it fell completely out and when I impacted the whoop (going through the whoops) it must have broken the others. Not that it really matters what happened, as I still need a new hub at the end of the day :D:bonk: (plus I get to blame it on lack of maintinance... not an error in maintinance :naughty: )

I will definately remember that next time I'm tightening my chain though.

Its sounds like I will most likely be ordering one from the TT store, but I always have trouble using the website. Do I use the yamaha part number? and do I have to sign up for OEM thumpertalk to buy OEM parts?

I've suspected that right along, Dave, but I keep hearing that "the chain was just fine." Then I see someone post advising an '06 owner to tighten his chain because it "looks loose".

The fact is that the '06 and '07 set up looser than the earlier models because the lower roller doesn't run as hard against the chain at full extension as it used to. If you don't set it up according the manual, you're asking for something like this.

I'll try to get some pics when I get home (it will be several weeks), but I'm %100 positive that my chain was on the loose side. I've kinda skimped a bit on that kind of maintinance lately because I live 2 hours from the bike and when I am home I just want to jump on and ride. Unfortunately that lack of maintinance/checking the bike over is probably what caused this (as I would normally have noticed the sprocket bolts). The oil and airfilter get done, but thats about it the last couple of rides.

For those riders that have the loose bolt syndrome but have not lunched the hub yet, consider drilling out for 3/8" bolts. I've been doing this for the last five years. It cures the problem once and for all. I purchase the hardened bolts long enough to have a 3/4" shoulder and then cut them to length. Use grade 8 lock washers and nylon lock nuts. I've done this sucessfully on four bikes, 2 Yamahas and 2 Hondas.