Acerbis 3.4 Install Questions '05 WR450

I did look to see if there was anything on this, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I'm sorry if this seems like it's been handled.

Anyway, I bought an Acerbis/GYTR 3.4 gallon tank for my '05 WR 450 quite some time ago, but never installed it because the guys I ride with haven't made the change. But I'm going to Ocotillo this weekend, and thought it might be a good time to switch it out.

My questions are these:

1) Can I do this on a Thursday night (6-10pm), knowing that I also have to pack the rest of my crap?

2) Why are there 2 petcocks? Do you use them both into some sort of splitter, or are they there just for choice?

3) Any recommendations on tools that'll make it easier, and any other installation advice?

Thanks, Beedub

It should be a quick job.....

I have Works Connection radiator supports and had to cut the one on the right.

Yes 2 valves, should have came with a connector. Watch the right fuel line so it doesn't get to close to your exhaust, I use a ziptie to keep it out of harms way.

Yeah, it makes sense to have 2 petcocks with such an elongated tank, but you'd think they'd have given you everything you need in the package??? Honestly, I haven't opened everything up yet, so maybe they did. Thanks for the replies, and I'll probably take your advice about the fuel lines.

Yeah, it makes sense to have 2 petcocks with such an elongated tank, but you'd think they'd have given you everything you need in the package??? Honestly, I haven't opened everything up yet, so maybe they did. Thanks for the replies, and I'll probably take your advice about the fuel lines.

Everything should be in the package.....

I actually installed two in-line fuel filters so both sides are filtered... Now that will take some time... :mad:

yeah this takes about 30 mins if that... go to auto zone and get some automotive fuel lines and a couple small screw clamps. when i did my tank i took SC's advice and got the brass T fittings as well. oh and both petcocks are need as thats how you get the gas out of the right side when you getting low.

By the way, what are you referring to when you say "brass T fittings"? Where can I get them, and so on...:mad:

You'll want to replace the plastic "Y" that comes with the kit, with a 5/16" brass "T". Make sure you also replace the crappy fuel line that comes with it, with some quality 1/4" line. You should be able to pick it all up at your local auto parts store...SC

Everything should be in the package.....

I actually installed two in-line fuel filters so both sides are filtered... Now that will take some time... :mad:

Hey Dan, if you remember, you were the one who told me where to get the tank...several months ago, and it worked out, so thanks!

Anyway, I went and bought all the parts last night, but didn't get much time to play with them. Man, that 1/4" fuel line on the 5/16" Brass T is tight, but I'm guessing that's the point?

Also, Dan, I bought two plastic "in-line" fuel filters to put on because they didn't cost much, so I have a question. I won't get to work on this with my bike there until Thursday because I keep it at a friends house, no room at mine. So I'm wondering if I can put this all together ready to go on the bike? The only real problem I can foresee is if I put the fuel filters on directly below the petcocks like I thought I would, will they have room? Do I need to put them on somewhere else in the bend of the line?

Hey Dan, if you remember, you were the one who told me where to get the tank...several months ago, and it worked out, so thanks!

Anyway, I went and bought all the parts last night, but didn't get much time to play with them. Man, that 1/4" fuel line on the 5/16" Brass T is tight, but I'm guessing that's the point?

Also, Dan, I bought two plastic "in-line" fuel filters to put on because they didn't cost much, so I have a question. I won't get to work on this with my bike there until Thursday because I keep it at a friends house, no room at mine. So I'm wondering if I can put this all together ready to go on the bike? The only real problem I can foresee is if I put the fuel filters on directly below the petcocks like I thought I would, will they have room? Do I need to put them on somewhere else in the bend of the line?

Zip tie the fuel line to the brass fitting anyway, you never know!!

Wait until you are at your bud's house and set up everything there, that way you can measure, move the fuel line around and see where you like it best, less chance of screwing up if you do it at home then find out that it aint gonna work, then wait 1-2 more days before you make another trip to the autoparts store to buy more fuel line, besides, it wont take long to install the tank, it's really not that hard!!

Bee, Honestly.... Forget the inline fuel filters for now, in order for me to install them I had cut the fuel line just right and also had to cut the plastic T to make enough room for the left side to all fit, yep, I'm running the plastic T that the kit came with, no problems but the install took a while... I would just wait until you have enough time to install the filters so you can take your time and do it right.. The tank is fine with the stuff that came in the kit... Just install the tank and don't get fancy until after your ride when you have time...

I'll take some pictures today to show you how I installed the filters.....

Dan :mad:

just an fyi. i have the ims tank and the idiot that installed it DID NOT grind down the tips of the bolts that attach it to the downtube. so he pulled the threads by bottoming out the bolts.

on the stock bolts they are about 2 inches long and have no threads on the tip. the ims tank either needs a few washers to make up for the long bolt or do what i did and grind the tip off. i have no idea if you will run into the same challenge with the acerbis tank.

just dont over tighten the bolts at first and check to see if the tank is loose. if the tank is loose you will need to get those tips ground off. also some blue locktite will be your friend. i also used hose clamps over the fuel line at the petcock AND the fuel inlet on the carb. better safe then sorry.

Welp, got 'er on there! Took a little longer than a 1/2 our, but it's solid. Didn't even have to ziptie the right side fuel line the way we ran it!

I did have to rotate the carb a little to make the choke clear the tank, one might think Acerbis would have taken that into account when designing it for this bike

That seems to have caused a few drops of gas coming out of one of the overflows. Maybe I'm just coincidentally having a float ball problem or something, but it didn't do that before! Anyone else have an issue with this?

I did have to rotate the carb a little to make the choke clear the tank, one might think Acerbis would have taken that into account when designing it for this bike

That seems to have caused a few drops of gas coming out of one of the overflows. Maybe I'm just coincidentally having a float ball problem or something, but it didn't do that before! Anyone else have an issue with this?

I've never heard of the choke plunger hitting the tank to the point of not allowing it to be pulled, I know it's close.. I would not recommend rotating the carb under any circumstances, the leak you now have is probably being cause by the carbs position and the float reading the level incorrectly and probably flooding the bowl. If I were you I would loosen up the two 10mm tank bolts that go into the frame and try to orient the tank to center and put the carb back in its place. It's possible that the tank is just cocked to one side... Check it out.... :mad:

Dan

I've never heard of the choke plunger hitting the tank to the point of not allowing it to be pulled, I know it close.. I would not recommend rotating the carb under any circumstances, the leak you now have is probably being cause by the carbs position and the float reading the level incorrectly and probably flooding the bowl. If I were you I would loosen up the two 10mm tank bolts that go into the frame and try to orient the tank to center and put the carb back in its place. It's possible that the tank is just cocked to one side... Check it out.... :mad:

Dan

Will do Dan, thanks.