gytr muffler insert

anyone used the gytr performance WR muffler insert (part #gyt-5tj93-75-01)? i have an '05 WR250F and am only looking for appearance and sound upgrades. power is fine for me with yzf throttle stop my only mod, unless you count handguards. not really looking for a new exhaust, or even a rejet, if i don't have to. is jetting gonna change with just the insert? thanks in advance.

anyone used the gytr performance WR muffler insert (part #gyt-5tj93-75-01)? i have an '05 WR250F and am only looking for appearance and sound upgrades. power is fine for me with yzf throttle stop my only mod, unless you count handguards. not really looking for a new exhaust, or even a rejet, if i don't have to. is jetting gonna change with just the insert? thanks in advance.

I have the GYTR insert on my WR250f, the jetting needs changed very little after installation. I still recommend the JD jetting kit though, it makes these bikes run 100% better.

When I got my uncorked '01 WR, it had a White Bros E4 silencer? and was at about 110db. I put the stock pipe back on and it was actually louder at 112db. The GYT-R insert was a bargain at under $30 compared to my other options, and brought it down to under 96db with no perceptible loss of performance. I just ran across PMB quiet insert for $19 at a scratch and dent, and it's a little quieter than the GYT-R, and looks a little cooler, but the GYT-R works and is a great value.

I have that GYTR insert in my 05 WR250F. It made a somewhat noticeable performance improvement, but nothing as big as removing the pinkie-sized small corkie from the stock end insert. The GYTR insert will turn about a 93db sound test compared to about 90db for the stock insert with the corkie removed. The GYTR is probably worth the $50.

MN Mike, the 05 muffler is a completely different animal than your 01's muffler- everything is different between the two mufflers and I'm not sure if any of your input is applicable to the 05 WR250.

thanks all. i think i'm just gonna do the jd jet kit and skip the insert for now. sounds like the bike needs the jet kit even 100% stock. does everyone agree that the jet kit will help the '05 wr even with the stock pipe and airbox. only thing i've changed is i'm running the twin-air pre-oiled filter.

thanks - and sorry if this has been gone over, as i'm sure it has. i've been on TT a little while, but only to the wr forums for a little over a week, so bear with me. i've done the yz throttle stop, and i'll do the grey wire this week, but should i wait to do anything to the airbox and/or exhaust until i've jetted?

thanks - and sorry if this has been gone over, as i'm sure it has. i've been on TT a little while, but only to the wr forums for a little over a week, so bear with me. i've done the yz throttle stop, and i'll do the grey wire this week, but should i wait to do anything to the airbox and/or exhaust until i've jetted?

no problem. we love to help each other out. so to answer your question.

you should wait to open the airbox until you get your jet kit, cause it will allow more air and usually require it to be re jetted

jetting kits help out a lot. congrats on the WR. they are nothing less the exceptional bikes

My 05 WR250F came from the dealer with the grey wire and throttle stop done. I added the PMB insert (same as the GYTR insert on the 05) and didn't have to rejet. When I pulled the airbox snorkle out and cut out the side vents, though, it started running a little rough. The JD jet kit cleared it right up. The initial suggested setup of the jD kit was a little rich. I ended up with a 180 MJ, Blue needle, 4th clip position.

I just got an almost new 2005 wr250F for the upcoming 24 Hours of Glen Helen . I googled the PMB insert ....and just made one out of scrap , switched the grey wire, opened up the airbox and installed the JD jet kit . The recommended jetting was blue needle 5th notch along with a 185 main and fuel screw two turns out . I felt like the 185 was running on the fat side so I went down to the 180 . It feels sorta snappier but it's hard to say it feels fast as I usually ride a CRF450R and a CR500 . Every year one of the team buys a WR250F to ride at the 24 , most of them have basically the same mods done before the race . We've ridden wr's four times and never failed to finish so far . I like the way the bike feels so I may keep this one and go to a bigbore kit .

i just installed the jd jet kit this afternoon, and removed the grey wire from the connecting plug.* took it on a really quick ride --- holy c--p.* you all were sooo right.* put-putting down the street to get to the field i was thinking that all this talk about jet kits and grey wires was a bunch of bs.* as soon as i got on dirt and opened it up i nearly mod'd my underwear. feels like warp speed compared to what it was. funny thing is, i was really, really happy before. i did the grey wire and the jet kit both today, so i don't know which one made the most difference, but i don't care too much either way. they work together, along with the throttle stop i did last week. now back to my original question, now that i've jetted can i put the gytr insert in without re-jetting? i have the stock '05 wr exhaust with the "tiny" opening in the tip.

i just installed the jd jet kit this afternoon, and removed the grey wire from the connecting plug.* took it on a really quick ride --- holy c--p.* you all were sooo right.* put-putting down the street to get to the field i was thinking that all this talk about jet kits and grey wires was a bunch of bs.* as soon as i got on dirt and opened it up i nearly mod'd my underwear. feels like warp speed compared to what it was. funny thing is, i was really, really happy before. i did the grey wire and the jet kit both today, so i don't know which one made the most difference, but i don't care too much either way. they work together, along with the throttle stop i did last week. now back to my original question, now that i've jetted can i put the gytr insert in without re-jetting? i have the stock '05 wr exhaust with the "tiny" opening in the tip.

Yep, thats what everyone is talking about!?

When I added the GYTR tip I think just dropped the needle clip (raising the needle) one position and thats all it took.

the Grey wire retards the mid range of the bike, 4~8 grand on the tach, so just doing the grey wire, it makes the bike pull so much harder through the mid and have some momentum to carry to its rev limiter better.

jetting is something like a 10% increase in power.

and yes, you have to re jet with a new, or modified exhaust.

also, if you hadn't already, open up the airbox, by removing the snorkel lid under your seat

• 9 months later...

You received some great replies all of which center on helping you get additional performace gains from your awesome WR.

I'm writing this to tease you about your statement that: "am only looking for appearance and sound upgrades".... My two cents - never spend money on "show and no-go; appearance / sound upgrades"... there are too many cool things that make you GO faster and have BETTER CONTROL - why care about how it looks or sounds?

Besides - we all hate it when some all show, no-go rider comes by and hurts our ears while winding out a gear and typically at low speed ?

Have fun, get fast, get good, Keep that thing quiet! - that's what people respect and admire. Besides, it's really fun passing loud bikes on the trail - we sneak up in stealth mode and they dont know what passed them...

i originally started this thread in september, so i don't know how it got dug back up, but, i totally agree with you about sound and looks. i didn't mean that i wanted louder, i should've been more clear. i wanted deeper, and throatier. wow, hope that didn't come out wrong. as far as looks, i didn't like that tiny pea shooter opening at the end of the pipe. i've since just gone with the Q4 for a muffler and a megabomb for a header. i'm usually the ass that does so much crap that i don't remember what worked and what didn't. i loved my bike stock, and i love it now. who knows, who cares. it's mine so whatever. i agree with you that loud bikes suck, and i find 'em to be really annoying. also, pretty bikes aren't really my thing. i'm the guy running blue scratched up plastics with no graphics, so??? i know you weren't attacking me or anything, i just wanted to clarify my original position (9 months ago) and let you know that i agree with you 100%.

i originally started this thread in september, so i don't know how it got dug back up,

I posted to this thread since it came up in the "related results" at the end of my thread. It was similar in topic so I figured Id just link to it- sorry for the confusion!