Boysen Power reeds rev plate

6 replies to this topic
  • Ethan James Boomhower

Posted January 13, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Boysen said on there web site that you don't need a reed stop and can use there rev plate . But I can't find a rev plate for sale on there web site . I have a Suzuki with case reeds and am wondering if I should modify my spare reed stop to just hold the reeds to the cage or not .

• ohio rusty spokes

Posted January 15, 2013 - 07:53 AM

I tried some Boysen reeds back in the day on my RM. I followed the instructions to a "T". Raced the bike and went right back to the stock reeds. I could not feel any improvement in the mid-range and the top-end was slower, if anything, even the mid-range seemed flat as well. The reeds were a two stage style for my year and motor size. The instructions made no mention of needing a re-jet. Just my two cents. I would only use the Boysen reeds if you don't trust the stock steel reeds to have much life left in them.

Edited by Ohio Rusty Spokes, January 15, 2013 - 07:59 AM.

• Ethan James Boomhower

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:06 PM

The bike is a PE175 and has piston controlled ports so the reeds shouldn't kill my top end that bad .

• ohio rusty spokes

Posted January 15, 2013 - 07:18 PM

The bike is a PE175 and has piston controlled ports so the reeds shouldn't kill my top end that bad .

You think broken reeds can't make it up the transfer ports?

• 563ripper

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:11 PM

You think broken reeds can't make it up the transfer ports?

he doesnt mean broken reeds he means they shouldnt hurt his topend power

• Ethan James Boomhower

Posted January 16, 2013 - 03:25 PM

sorry, I meant the top of the rev range not the piston and jug .

• ohio rusty spokes

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:40 PM

As I remember you needed to increase the reed stops clearance so the thicker composite Boysen reeds would not restrict the flow. My take was the Boysen reeds softened the power increase. To me at that time, Boysen reeds were better suited for big motors. Never tried them on a PE 175. But as said they would be safer than using the stock steel reeds for the long term health of the motor. Not for any increase in power. As for not having a reed stop, that will allow the reeds to flex farther and increase the chance for the reeds to break. I'm not saying not to use them just understand there will not be any increase in power they only soften the power/RPM increase.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.