Crankcase cover yz450f help!

1 reply to this topic
  • coop450f

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hey there!
Doing some work on my 450 and into the crankcase cover, I've taken the stator off easily and have the cover off and in my hands anyone know the best way to get the timing check cap and the larger one out?? its seized in there pretty good and the gaskets need to be changed under them, stripped the small one and guess I'm looking at trying the easy out tool to remove it, for one thing it says in the manual to use a screw driver they were Allen bolts which the previous owner must of over tighten because it showed wear before i touched it and i couldn't see anyone that's a mechanic tightening it up to that extreme!!!! also tips for the best way to remove the stripped bolt? i forsaw this being a issue beforehand and ordered the replacements just want the old ones out first! thanks so much for your help!!! here is a pic!

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (5).JPG

Edited by coop450f, January 12, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yzflier977

Posted January 12, 2013 - 04:37 PM

I think I would try to drill a small pilot hole and use the easy out method, but I would also use Loctite freeze and release as well right before I was ready to try and turn it. That should give you the best possible chance to get it to release. Critically important to use the right size easy out and the freeze and release should shrink the bolt just enough to allow it to be backed out. And obviously the bolt will be toast and need to be replaced, but since you've already stripped it, the goal is to get it out. Hope that helps?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.