Exhaust – Full System vs. Slip On

4 replies to this topic
  • jasnyder

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am thinking about replacing the stock shorty exhaust on my ’09 YZ450F. I am debating if I should go with a full system or just a slip on pipe with the stock header. Obviously since I am asking this question cost is a factor, like most I am on somewhat of a budget.

Does anyone have any insight into the differences of going with a full system vs. a slip on? Is there a big difference in the performance of either option?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:05 AM

There's a fairly big difference in performance with either option. Almost any good slip-on will significantly improve on the Shorty that comes with the '09, but the best gains are had with a full system, or by using a slip-on with an earlier header. The OEM header on the '08-'09 is grossly oversized as a compensation for the extraordinary level of restriction caused by the OEM muffler, and doesn't perform properly even with a good muffler in place.

The biggest improvement you will see either way is in the range of around 5000-6000 RPM. (lower mid range)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I have an 08 and placed a stock 07 header with a Leo Vince slip on and JD Jetting kit...huge improvement! You can often find the Leo Vince systems for CHEAP on EBay. I paid $149 for mine with free shipping.

• jasnyder

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Has anyone ever had any experience with the Lexx or Motoworks systems that they sell on Rocky Mountain?

• FinchFan194

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Ya a couple guys on here have the Lexx and like it, it isn't for me though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.