2012 WR450f or WR250f

38 replies to this topic
  • cwallershasta

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I notice stiff clutch pull for about the first five minutes of riding, then it goes away. It's not an issue, but I still might try out a Rightous Stunt Clutch someday.

• Mustafa

Posted February 02, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Newbie here...

I did a lot of research between the 250 and the 450 before I bought the 2012 wr450 late last summer. It has the GYTR Map and pipe,Rekluse Core EXP clutch and the Rekluse left hand rear brake. I love the bike...sure it's heavier than the 250 but has all the power I will ever need (and then some). Just because the power is there,doesn't mean you have to tap into it. When needed in the open terrain or on a big hill it is effortless. When on technical, rocky or slick ground, just take it a bit easier and let the bike do the work. Either way,you cant go wrong, just a matter of personal preference.

• Zster

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thanks guys for all the input on the WR 450 vs. 250. I myself am in the market for one or the other, leaning towards the 450. I got to ride both back to back during the 2013 Yamaha Demo Days south of San Antonio, TX. I'm 43, 245 lbs, and haven't ridden trails since 1985. So I was astounded by the power the 250 had compared to what the 250s of the 80s offered. However when I got on the 450, my eyes had terror in them, but my face had a grin from ear to ear. It was the most fun I have had on two wheels in a LONG time.

Although my mind tells me the 250 would be better in the tight stuff, my heart is all 450. I think throttle control is key; and if I can drop in a tight trails map into the GYTR ECU all the better. Maybe that will keep me from pinning a tree.

I didn't notice a tight clutch on either bike. Both bikes felt nimble with the 250 a tad easier to shove around. But I think if I had ridden the 250 after the 450 (as one guy did) I would look at the 250 with a frown due to a lack of power.

After riding a Honda XL500R for many years primarily on the street with some trails, I think the 450 is the way to go. It feels like the 250s of the 80s with Bultaco arm yanking speeds.

Questions for someone who knows about the GYTR maps. Do the maps cost money? If so, roughly how much? How long does it take to install a map to the ECU?

Also, since EFI doesn't have jets, what kinds of problems could I expect with EFI? Will I eventually have to buy Fuel Injection Cleaners and such?

Thanks in advance for any follow-up.

Edited by zdunnam, February 20, 2013 - 08:25 AM.

• n16ht5

Posted February 20, 2013 - 12:19 PM

I like the 450 so much more than the 250. I don't understand how a 250 is easier to ride in tight trails. That extra bottom end grunt to get you out of trouble or up and over things is such an advantage. If they made a 650 that weighed the same I would be on it.

• Lumberjack450

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Maps are just charts full of numbers you put in yourself on a handheld programmer.
60-70 hrs here, never one FI problem.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:28 AM

I like the 450 so much more than the 250. I don't understand how a 250 is easier to ride in tight trails. That extra bottom end grunt to get you out of trouble or up and over things is such an advantage. If they made a 650 that weighed the same I would be on it.

I've ridden both older versions, and hands down, the 250f is wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier on tight trails! You have to be aggressive, but the way you can make the 250f snake thru those NY woods is seriously impressive!!!

• beezer

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I have a 250 and a 450 and the rarely ride the 450 in the tight stuff. To much like work.

• n16ht5

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've ridden both older versions, and hands down, the 250f is wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier on tight trails! You have to be aggressive, but the way you can make the 250f snake thru those NY woods is seriously impressive!!!

hmm, must be quite different terrain. Or maybe his 250 was clapped out? hmm..

• beezer

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:56 AM

A stock WR250 is the slowest bike on the planet. You have to slip the clutch to get over a cigarette butt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:29 AM

I got a 450 and could never understand how my mate on his 250 kept beating me on the tight stuff til I had a go on it
The 450 has got so much grunt off idle that it just spins up and wears you out trying to control it
The 250 just grips and goes forwards without issue
Sure the 450 feels faster, and is more fun, but the 250 is way faster on single track in the woods, and when its slippy
For the odd occasion when you can use the 450's grunt, the 250 is so far ahead it never makes up for it

My next bike will be a 250 when Yam get round to putting the FI on it, but then again I race it and the difference between feeling fast and actually being fast is irrelevant - the stopwatch never lies

Edited by GuyGraham, February 21, 2013 - 11:29 AM.

• n16ht5

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Who in wa state has a wr250 I can ride with. My friend sold his

• MANIAC998

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:45 AM

A stock WR250 is the slowest bike on the planet. You have to slip the clutch to get over a cigarette butt.

Your probably almost correct, but truthfully, do any of us leave anything stock? C'mon Man!!!

I maintain all of my bikes personally, and never let them get thrashed. I maintain them to the highest degree and mod them accordingly. Almost everyone I know is faster on a 250f then on a 450, but you've got to ride harder to do it. The 450's just make you lazy because they are so easy to ride at quite a high rate of speed.

The way I describe riding the two is like this. On the 450, it's begging you to get that darn corner over with so you can "unleash it" down the next straightaway.
Whereas on the 250f, as your railing thru the corner faster than even you think is possible, the bike is mocking you! Saying, "Is that all you've got? C'mon! I thought we were gonna go riding!!!"

Those are my incredibly un-scientific findings. Your results may vary!

• miweber929

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Anyone who says a 250 is too small and slow is selling something, and its probably their 450 to get something smaller!!! I rode almost 10 years on an 84 XR250R through ANYTHING I could throw at it without issue; still to this day is one of the easiest riding trail bikes I've ever ridden and owned. That had probably half the HP and agility of a modern 250f; sure having the extra power of the 450 is nice but honestly in 98% of situations a 250 will get things done ridden properly.

Where the big bikes shine is in laziness: you can be a gear too high, not get the revs up on the engine before a big climb, use torque to get over things rather than momentum and finesse. The actual need for all the power a 450 puts out are few and far between for most riders. My old RM125 was far more satisfying in the woods than my old CR250 because it needed input and concentration to get it right.

YMMV, but if it weren't for the fact my 450 was supposed to be my do-it-all bike, I'd probably have bought a 250 as they are usually much lighter both in actual weight but mostly in feel. Any 250f is a great bikes but if you ride it like the 450, you'll be very disappointed.

Edited by miweber929, February 22, 2013 - 07:39 AM.

• Lumberjack450

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:41 AM

If you haven't ridden a '12 or '13 450 you're missing out. They can nail ruts and handle in the turns like a MX bike. You'd be surprised.

In the technical, the low end compensates for extra burden IMO.

These things are traction monsters.

Only time the weight sucks is when you're trying to bulldog them up or down a hill or are stuck.

• beezer

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Your probably almost correct, but truthfully, do any of us leave anything stock? C'mon Man!!!

When I get a WR250 I don't even start it until I spend 2 days and 1500 on it.

The way they come from the dealer they are un-rideable.

I'm waiting for Yamaha to upgrade the WR250 but it prolly won't happen until 2015.

My 2007 never seems to wear out.

For the tight woods I've never ridden anything better.

• motox215

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Was wonder if $7178.22 out the door for the brand new 2012 WR450F is a far price? The dealership in ohio that I was dealing with are a bunch of @$$holes and also arrogant. I did some complaining to a friend about how I was treated, and she knew a higher up and took care of what happened... She offered me this price and was looking for some experience if this was indeed a far price to pay for a new one...

• Zster

Posted May 14, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Not too bad. I just heard of a Texas deal where a guy got a 2012 new for $6,000. But new 2012's are hard to come by now.

• n16ht5

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Buy one a few years old at the end of riding season and pay half that... new bikes are for the rich

• jetrep

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Was wonder if $7178.22 out the door for the brand new 2012 WR450F is a far price? The dealership in ohio that I was dealing with are a bunch of @$$holes and also arrogant. I did some complaining to a friend about how I was treated, and she knew a higher up and took care of what happened... She offered me this price and was looking for some experience if this was indeed a far price to pay for a new one...

When I was shopping a couple months ago I was beating on the dealers pretty hard and that is the price out the door I was getting so i think it is reasonable. Someone probably got a bike for 6k but that is before all the fees and tax.

It sounds like you have decided on the 450. I can't say I blame you. The decision would be a lot tougher if Yamaha updated the 250 like they did the 450

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.