2012 WR450f or WR250f

38 replies to this topic
  • motox215

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:53 AM

whats up guys,

Just wanted to start a new version of this topic. Im looking to purchase a new one of these bikes but Im torn between which one to get... my local shop has one of each brand new, and I can get them at a great price. Im pushing 38 years old, and have been in motocross since 1999... Im 185 punds 5'11" 125 "B" rider and own a 2006 YZ125 and I have had a lot of experience of 250 (2 strokes) as well... I dont race anymore excpet the Police and Fire race held in June, and still go to open practice once or twice a week in the warmer months for the love and excerise.

I bought a KLX140L 3 years ago, and put KX suspension, the huge carb and made it the 160cc machine... The bike is fun in the tails, but its just to small and undered power for my fat butt..... So Im looking to get into trail ride a lot more as i have more friends do that instead of motocross.

I just want to have fun when heading the Wayne National Forest and Hatfield MCcoy's for a weekend get away... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by motox215, January 11, 2013 - 07:55 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:20 PM

That's a tough call! Seeing as how you've raced a 125 recently, the 250f is going to be very similar, and an easy transition. You've got to keep the 250f up on the pipe and it'll boogie! And in your tight woods, the 250f is going to outhandle a 450 in those conditions too! But from what my buddies tell me about Hatfield/McCoy, that's more open terrain where the 450 is going to work better, as in she can stretch out her legs with some speed. I've had both of the older versions when I lived back in N.Y. and I was way faster on the 250f in the tight woods. The 450 just has sooo much power, it becomes more of a handfull in the tight stuff. Those are simply my findings with the older versions while I lived in NY. Your results may vary! And even though the new WR450 uses the 250f frame, which would help some in the tight stuff, it's the massive amount of power that makes it tougher to throw around then the 250f in those same woods. So I personally would lean more towards the 250f, but again, that's just me!

• woods-rider

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:40 PM

The 2012 450 has the great SSS suspension and it's fuel injected. Those are some big pluses in my book.

• beezer

Posted January 11, 2013 - 01:33 PM

The stock WR250 is the slowest bike on the planet. It needs a grand thrown at to run right.

• revyrider

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:38 PM

I test rode a 2012 wr250 this fall & also found it to be way under powered. Wound up with an '07 450 & its been awesome.

• MANIAC998

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:13 AM

I did forget to mention that I always mod my bikes, so I would have to agree with revyrider that stock it is lethargic, but can easily be made to run extremely well with just a few goodies.

• C R Fever

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:33 AM

In recreationl riding there is no starting gate, need to ride "all out", 4 ft tall trophy or $1000 at the end of the ride. Most recreational riders don't want to spend or have the money to put into their rides that racers must. We buy bikes, take good care of them & hope they bring us years of reliable service.

To me, this boils down to choosing a machine that will do what I need it to do, one that I can have fun on. It's all pros & cons. Like duel sport bikes. They are not awesome both on and off road, but they can do a bit of both quite well. If you want the most awesome trail bike, that you can make the very best times on, then get the 250, put the grand into it to wake it up & ride it hard & fast. You will be able to negotiate tight mtn trails much faster than on the 450. I don't know anyone who can get on a 125 in the woods & pin it for very long before they t-bone a tree. Handeling and suspension allows you to go fast in the woods. On the flip side, there aint a 125 or 250 that can hang with me in the hills.

We were camping one year. My buddy & i were on XR600's, piped & geared. My wife had a stock XR250. We had her time us on the big bores. It was an awesome single track that went up and over a mountain, steep, twisty, increadible, probably 12 miles over and back. I switched to the 250 that I had zero seat time on & couldn't believe how light & nimble it felt. (Did I just say an XR felt light & nimble??? dam I'm old, lol.) I smoked my best time & had more fun doing it.

If the need for speed isn't that important, which it certainly isn't for me, I would buy the 450. 1st off, EFI is the chit. But more importantly, I like a geared down 450 to get as much torque as possible. Hell, they have almost taken the thump out of the thumpers. Rotating mass is half of what it was back in the day. Crap, remember when you could lug up a steep twisty trail on the old XR600 in the wrong gear, (one gear too high) LOL?? For as heavy as that bike was, I think it still made you lazy. It did all the work for you & if you were too tired to shift into the correct gear, so be it, it pulled all day. Ya the clutch pull was a bear, but it didn't matter cause you'ld only use it a dozen times a day.

Another reason I like the 450 is cause I don't want to have to wring the thing out all day. I ride big hills on my 450's. The boys on the 250's are on the rev limiter all the time. I think I hit mine twice last year. While they are adjusting valves & doing top ends, I'm riding wheelies at 5000 rpms, lol. . I think you get so much more for your money in an open classer. Just look at the size difference in the chains.

It's your choice, for me, it would be the big bore all the way. I'm not slow as a snail, but I don't ride all out anymore.

Let us know what you get, pics please!!

• MANIAC998

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Size difference in the chains?

• C R Fever

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Size difference in the chains?

I remember seeing a 250 with a wimpy chain. They must be running 520's now A?

• YHGEORGE

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Playing and enjoying life=450. Racing=250. All 250's have had 520 chains for MANY years, some of you guys need to get out more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted January 13, 2013 - 05:22 AM

I ride my 250 in the woods and the 450 when I'm doing a practice day or a dual sport.

The 250 isn't very much fun when the terrain opens up.

• luckyone24

Posted January 13, 2013 - 06:24 AM

i would buy the 450... you can never have enough power and it all comes down to driver input on throttle anyway so why settle for less.. when if you run easy just leave in the stock ecu and when you are going to ride it aggressive stick in the competition ecu...i use the latter..
this bike rocks!!

• MANIAC998

Posted January 14, 2013 - 03:27 AM

i would buy the 450... you can never have enough power

I remember when I used to believe that! My motto was "Too much power is just enough!" Boy was I wrong!!! It took me many years to learn otherwise.

• motox215

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:17 PM

AWESOME advice guys, i really thankful for that..... Are the WR450 hit as hard (to the point that your arms feeling like they are going to be pulled from their sockets?) thats my biggest concern.... I just play on having fun on it and putting around, and i dont want to put in a ton of money to get it running good... im 38 and getting old....

The 450 does to seem a better deal as it has all the latest tech on it, vs the 250 is behind the times.....

I'll let you all know what i decide to get...

• beezer

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:41 PM

The 250 needed a make over years ago.

• luckyone24

Posted January 14, 2013 - 03:40 PM

AWESOME advice guys, i really thankful for that..... Are the WR450 hit as hard (to the point that your arms feeling like they are going to be pulled from their sockets?) thats my biggest concern.... I just play on having fun on it and putting around, and i dont want to put in a ton of money to get it running good... im 38 and getting old....

The 450 does to seem a better deal as it has all the latest tech on it, vs the 250 is behind the times.....

I'll let you all know what i decide to get...

well,the only comparison i personally can give is.. it hit's a lot more controllable than my kx 500!!

• Jmulhollen

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I have had ,y 2012 wr450f for about 2 months and I'm coming from growing up on two strokes (80-125-250)....
Each trip I have had is more and more fun on this bike. You can lug it around, or go all out. Currently running the fmf map with the fmf pipe and it is incredibly smooth......much more power, but doesn't hit like a carb does.

I dropped in the tight trails map from yamahas site and its smooth as silk. An accidental twist of the throttle was mellow as hell and didn't yank at all. It's spectacular to pug in a tuner and make changes.

If only my wife would stop loving her damn warrior so much I could get away from jets completely!!!! I rode the 250f for a weekend and it was underpowered and I had to ride it like a 2 stroke.

I am 6' and 185lb (close to you) and the suspension is setup great for my weight. Sag was almost perfect right from the factory! Only change I made was to roll the bars forward a bit and I was good to go.

• motox215

Posted January 15, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I have had ,y 2012 wr450f for about 2 months and I'm coming from growing up on two strokes (80-125-250)....
Each trip I have had is more and more fun on this bike. You can lug it around, or go all out. Currently running the fmf map with the fmf pipe and it is incredibly smooth......much more power, but doesn't hit like a carb does.

I dropped in the tight trails map from yamahas site and its smooth as silk. An accidental twist of the throttle was mellow as hell and didn't yank at all. It's spectacular to pug in a tuner and make changes.

If only my wife would stop loving her damn warrior so much I could get away from jets completely!!!! I rode the 250f for a weekend and it was underpowered and I had to ride it like a 2 stroke.

I am 6' and 185lb (close to you) and the suspension is setup great for my weight. Sag was almost perfect right from the factory! Only change I made was to roll the bars forward a bit and I was good to go.

Thanks man, Hows the clutch pul? I have read a lot of reviews saying its hard to pull it in... Also for the money it has a lot more updates compared to the WR250f hasnt changed from last year... Just a better deal all around....

Edited by motox215, January 15, 2013 - 06:25 AM.

• Jmulhollen

Posted January 15, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks man, Hows the clutch pul? I have read a lot of reviews saying its hard to pull it in... Also for the money it has a lot more updates compared to the WR250f hasnt changed from last year... Just a better deal all around....

Honestly I don't notice the clutch pull being that difficult. And to be honest I'm using the clutch less than half as much as I was previously on other bikes......so much more fun.

• YamaLink

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:34 AM

That's a tough one. Reread the original post and it's like the rider falls in the middle of the 250F and 450F based on experience with the two strokes (leaning toward the 250F) but with presumably some intermediate-advanced riding skills and need for power. I'd go with the WR450F.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.