2013 KLR 650

5 replies to this topic
  • Little Valy

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:45 PM

Seriously considering purchasing a 2013 (or 2012)KLR 650.Do both of these years require doing the doohickey?

• Beezerboy

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:02 AM

the doo was changed in 08... the new (08) lever is stronger than the earlier ones but fits loose on the shaft so there is room to vibrate. I just looked at the parts book & the 2013 has a different number for the lever, so who knows. maybe it will make up for the spring being too long (P/N for the spring is still the same). unless they fixed it, the spring runs out of adjustment in short order (like a couple thousand miles). the Eagle lever fits better and the torsion spring eliminates a couple extra parts. the Eagle unit is better no question. best thing to do is call Eagle Mike, he will give you the straight scoop. if it were me I would change it anyway. I have done maybe 4 dozen & the failure rate is pretty high. it;s a terrible system that is poorly designed and exicuted. other than that the bike is a blast, and a lot of bang for the buck

I saw the new KLR in Yellow the other day... lookin sharp

Kawi parts book is available on line if you want to check the 2012

Edited by Beezerboy, January 11, 2013 - 12:04 AM.

• Little Valy

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Other than the doohickey,is there any other mods that should be done(not for performance)but for reliability and peace of mind.
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beezerboy

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:58 PM

there are a few simple servicing things that should be done or checked... grease the swing arm and check the fork oil level come to mind. check the valve clearance at 500 miles. other than that... nope, pretty much ready to go. if you plan to go off road some real bark busters are in order because the stock ones won't protect the levers in a big fall. I like Tusk because they have an extra link that makes them easy to install...

http://www.rockymoun...tusk handguards

plenty tough too... mine have been repeatedly "tested" over 7 years. the stock bash plate only good on wet grass & mud. if you ride where there a big boulders & sharp rocks you will want an aluminum one. of all the tires I've tried on my KLRs the stock ones were the worst. don't get me wrong, they are OK, it's just that there are better choices.

a bit dated in places, but lots of good info...
http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

also...
http://www.klr650.ne...isplay.php?f=21

• bitingmytongueoff

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Do the do!;)

• highmarker

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:27 PM

if you DON"T do the doo (new bike) don't you or the dealer loosen the adjuster bolt. That's when any problem surfaces, you loosen it and it doesn't adjust because the spring doesn't tension it. or worse it loosens. On a new klr I'd feel safe riding 10-12k without dooing it, IF nobody touches that adjustment. Without having taken one apart and seeing how everything works yourself it's hard to describe what it's doing and why the concern.

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2008 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2008
  • * * * * -
  • 5 reviews
  • Last review by b1pig
  • On September 15, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2005 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2005
  • * * * - -
  • 1 review
  • Last review by jjktmrider
  • On October 18, 2013
Forums
Photo

Shim factory setting size needed for valve adjustment. by rodrigonehme

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2003 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2003
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Cynictis
  • On May 31, 2014
Forums
Photo

Klx 650 c Trailtech speedo installation help by CantleyCustoms

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.