Manual Cam Chain Tensioner?

3 replies to this topic
  • CanadianWR450

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:03 AM

Since I'm putting my bike back together from when it jumped timing on me, I have been advised to go to a manual cam chain tensioner. Supposedly, the OEM/stocker struggles with handling the abuse of a big bore (480) with cam's, pipe, etc..?
Not sure on this one, anyone use them, or have feedback on them?

• MANIAC998

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hmmm...........never heard that one before. I can't see how that would put more stress on the cam chain, to my way of thinking, it would put less stress on the chain by lowering the rev ceiling of the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • L. Euler

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:00 AM

The tensioner operates on the unloaded side of the chain, so I can't see the stocker being a problem. They extend easily, but are very difficult to retract by chain force. Verify that the chain guides, especially the one in the cam cover, are in good shape and installed correctly.

• Bazzaboy7

Posted January 15, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Since I'm putting my bike back together from when it jumped timing on me, I have been advised to go to a manual cam chain tensioner. Supposedly, the OEM/stocker struggles with handling the abuse of a big bore (480) with cam's, pipe, etc..?
Not sure on this one, anyone use them, or have feedback on them?

I've got one on my '99 WR400 and it works a treat :thumbsup: with real feel to the tension rather than relying on springs ..... and since my Big End let go :cry: I have been able to have a good look at it ... :thumbsdn:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hope that helps ....... :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.