XR 600 VS XR 650R FOR PRICE AND POWER

18 replies to this topic
  • XL100allnightlong

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:33 PM

XR 600 or XR 650r

Which bike do you guys think is the best buy for price versus power?

I have a xr 400 right now and looking at the bigger thumpers for my next bike. I have seen xr 600's in good condition for as low as 1500-1700 and it seems that the xr650's run around 3000 for a good one.

Is the extra hp worth the extra money with a 650r? And does the 650R "with it's bigger cam" have the low end torque of the xr 600 ? I mostly ride dirt roads and 2 tracks on state and federal land, not many tight trails.

• bamfslap

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Coming from someone who owns both: the power increase from the 650R is very noticeable. It has the same characteristics you love from the 600R (tractor like torque, tons of power low and everywhere) only it hits much harder right off the bat and doesn't drop off like the 600. If I had more gears it feels like it could go for ever.

I love monster hill climbs. Ones that go straight up and weave and stuff. What I have to do on the 600 in 2nd the 650 will do it in 3rd right in the power band. (same gearing on both, 14/48)

I love my 600. It's simple, old school, and just classic, and more comfortable to ride longer. But I'd choose the six fiddy if you want just one bike. The 600 is my dual sport/commuter.adventure and the 650 is my bat shit insane race toy. So they both get used.

To answer your question I'd say it depends on how much you're looking to spend. The 600 is an awesome bike. I love it. But I'd say if you got the extra money go for the 650. Or maybe test them both out and see which you like best.

PS the suspension and brakes are much better on the 650 so that's something to consider. And it caries its weight lower so it feels lighter even if it's not.

Edited by bamfslap, January 09, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• dubkatz

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:11 PM

i too own both and bamfslap couldnt have stated it any better. When bought my 650 i was actually kinda disappointing because i didnt feel that extra tq that i thought 50cc should have given me. Of course my 600 is actually a 628 and my 650r weights prob close to 30 lbs more but when the rpms hit 4k ish thats when the water cooled motor comes alive. and well worth the xtra money in my opinion. in your situation a 650r makes even more sense because going from a 400 to a 600 you wont notice a whole lota difference. you might even not like the xtra weight. But a 650r is just better in every single way.

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Or find a nice, clean, KX500 and smoke them both! :devil:

• tassie jeeper

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:25 AM

and call it a pickle?? :thinking:

:cripple:

• dubkatz

Posted January 10, 2013 - 01:08 PM

i challenge you to drive cross country on a 500. i would be happy to do it on my 650

• micknmeld

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Didn't your father warn you, that you'd go blind if you keep that up? :p

Having owned both as well, I thought my XR600 (HRC 630 kit) was the best thing ever, until I got the XR650R and that made me realise what an old jinker the XR600 was!! The 600 was an honest old girl but the 650 was leagues ahead in both performance and handling. The only down side of the 650 in my opinion, is that it tends to boil in the tight single trail.

Edited by micknmeld, January 10, 2013 - 07:11 PM.

• bamfslap

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Having owned both as well, I thought my XR600 (HRC 630 kit) was the best thing ever, until I got the XR650R and that made me realise what an old jinker the XR600 was!! The 600 was an honest old girl but the 650 was leagues ahead in both performance and handling. The only down side of the 650 in my opinion, is that it tends to boil in the tight single trail.

Running on the slightly rich side will help with that. I have never boiled mine :p I am kinda nervous to get a pumper carb next month for that reason.

The biggest flaw with the 650 is the right foot peg crap Honda never fixed (and that it's a dog all corked up stock). Luckily it's an easy fix. I know the subframe is an issue for some but I never planned on strapping a bunch of shit to it anywho.

• martinfan30

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Yes he told me that... :devil:
I have the same boil over issue in the 500. Contemplated the computer fan mod for cooling, just haven't done it yet. I am def. looking for a quality 650R for some longer dirt/street rides. I know what the L and 600's are capable of, I just would like to round out my stable with an XRR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • micknmeld

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Running on the slightly rich side will help with that. I have never boiled mine :p I am kinda nervous to get a pumper carb next month for that reason.

The biggest flaw with the 650 is the right foot peg crap Honda never fixed (and that it's a dog all corked up stock). Luckily it's an easy fix. I know the subframe is an issue for some but I never planned on strapping a bunch of shit to it anywho.

I have just re-jetted mine this week and am keen to get it out in the trails, I test rode it on the street and it no longer "pops" on decel so I am getting close to the money now.
I was running 175 main and a #65 slow. Now it has 165 and a #68s.

I have seen right hand foot peg bolts snap off at the frame and what was left of the bolt was a pain to remove, yet I am still too lazy to get around to fix mine yet with new bolts.

The OZ model wasn't near as bunged up with emission crap as the US ones, so that wasn't a worry on mine.

Edited by micknmeld, January 10, 2013 - 08:55 PM.

• XL100allnightlong

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Okay so if I have the extra money the 650r is worth it because it has a harder hitting power band, it handles better and it actually feels lighter than the 600 because of it's lower center of gravity!

But does it have the off throttle low end grunt of the 600? Someone said that the 650r power doesn't hit until about 4000 RPM?

And already owning a torquey 400, you think I wouldn't notice a big difference going to a xr 600. Does the xr 400 stay with the 600 0-60 mph? Sounds like the 650r might be the perfect ripping beast that I am looking for!

• martinfan30

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Okay so if I have the extra money the 650r is worth it because it has a harder hitting power band, it handles better and it actually feels lighter than the 600 because of it's lower center of gravity!

But does it have the off throttle low end grunt of the 600? Someone said that the 650r power doesn't hit until about 4000 RPM?

And already owning a torquey 400, you think I wouldn't notice a big difference going to a xr 600. Does the xr 400 stay with the 600 0-60 mph? Sounds like the 650r might be the perfect ripping beast that I am looking for!

The 650 XRR will stomp the 600 in low end. If you think your 400 is good in low end grunt, your right. The 600 will smash the 400 in torque, while the 650R will up it even more.

The 600 will smoke the 400 0-60 and up. The 650R will walk away from both.

My experience is this. I've raced and ridden against 600R's and 650R's with my KX5. I walk all over both bikes until about 90. The 650R is the only other bike that will slowly gain ground and eventually pass. (gearing is key).

• Old Dog

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:29 PM

For hill climbs my first choice would be a CR500, my second choice would be an XR650R, my third choice would be a XR600R ... and my fourth choice would be a modified XR650L.

Overall, I'd pick an XR650R (although my current bike is a modified XR650L). ;) :thumbsup: :ride:

• hodakaharold

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Coming from someone who owns both: the power increase from the 650R is very noticeable. It has the same characteristics you love from the 600R (tractor like torque, tons of power low and everywhere) only it hits much harder right off the bat and doesn't drop off like the 600. If I had more gears it feels like it could go for ever.

I love monster hill climbs. Ones that go straight up and weave and stuff. What I have to do on the 600 in 2nd the 650 will do it in 3rd right in the power band. (same gearing on both, 14/48)

I love my 600. It's simple, old school, and just classic, and more comfortable to ride longer. But I'd choose the six fiddy if you want just one bike. The 600 is my dual sport/commuter.adventure and the 650 is my bat shit insane race toy. So they both get used.

To answer your question I'd say it depends on how much you're looking to spend. The 600 is an awesome bike. I love it. But I'd say if you got the extra money go for the 650. Or maybe test them both out and see which you like best.

PS the suspension and brakes are much better on the 650 so that's something to consider. And it caries its weight lower so it feels lighter even if it's not.

I agree completely, well said.
It seems I eat back tires quicker on the XR650R, I know I pour more fuel in it than the XR600R.

• dubkatz

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:26 PM

I may have misspoke. The xrr has no "hit" its not a 2 stroke( i know i ride a cr250) and have ridden 125's. There "hit" is huge. the xrr simply starts to make alot more hp than a 600 when it hits 4k(just a guess) My 600's power falls off real early. it pays to short shift. In a xrr you have so much more available revs to use. It still has the tq of the 600 but the top end of a modern 4 stroke. Its just a much more flexible motor.

• XL100allnightlong

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Looks like I'm going to go after the 650r! Sounds like a better handling bike and the motor has super power from bottom to top!

• shrubitup

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Looks like I'm going to go after the 650r! Sounds like a better handling bike and the motor has super power from bottom to top!

There is no comparison. Very hard to fault a XRR unless you demand better fuel mileage. As martinfan said, an XRR is a great bike to add to any off road collection. :worthy:

• bluffskier

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:41 PM

All this talk makes me want an XRR, but then I think of ALLLL the road riding I do and how I love to drop my bike down hills when I do go off road. I love my XRL for all it is now i swapped the carb out.

Too bad Honda will never make a badass 650 again. If they do, I will be on it for my next DS for sure.

I look/predict an 08+ KLR inspired XRL in the near future to come out :smirk:

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:51 PM

they already exist, on non us markets, there is the varadero and twin....both 650 class...very mild, torquey engines with road inspired sub 10 inch travel suspension, much like a klr..very well mannered and reliable

thing is honda SELLS THE XRL in the states STILL....not in our market for example...I know of 2 xrls in el salvador...3 xr600s that actually ride...Im the only xr in my group...

anywhoo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2008 Honda xr650L Re-Jetting after Exhaust Modifications by ManFug

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 20 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda XR650L 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Xr650l Dave's carb mod question by theonenutbandit

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

85 xr600r camshaft bearing journals by Taylorross

• Hot  56 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

• Hot  77 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.