2004 or 2005? my triple clamp issue requires me to ID manufacture year

6 replies to this topic
  • Gilo-WR

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Those of you that have read/replied to my previous "triple clamp light bracket" thread may be able to help... the plot thickens! Used OE clamps are cheap enough if I choose to replace, BUT!!!! My bike is listed as an 05 in the log book but I got a sneaking suspicion it's an 04. As you guys know, there were a few fundamental differences in the front which make parts "year specific".

Basically I need help in identifying the build year, my frame numbers and ID plate don't give any clues ...of course I've scoured the net and TT where all the differences are listed .. But it's just white noise to me ...is there a tell-tale way of just looking at each model to know what year it is.

I can wait till weekend and get my local Yammi dealer to check, but if you guys can clear this up I could be fitting the correct triple clamp instead.

It's a mixture of emotions right now,I can't be pissed with the guy I got the bike off, more at myself for being over keen to get the bike. (I swapped a mint 08 SXV 550 for this) However on the flip side I still have a solid base to work from and I'm sure ill feel better once I ditch the SM wheels and get the off road shoes on it...I just wanna get it muddy now, and stop all this negative thinking ..Oh and apologies for waffling on

• Gilo-WR

Posted January 08, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Ok ,answered my own question, someone on a UK forum showed me how to read the prefix in the frame numbers. It's 2004

• miweber929

Posted January 08, 2013 - 04:47 PM

The odo is another good way, dial odo only should be 04, electronic one is 05 I thought. Also AIS is 05 up.

If it were me, I'd simply take some flat aluminum stock from the hardware store and make some mounts. It's nothing huge, nothing complicated and not really needed to be 100% perfect. Just an idea, far cheaper than triple clamps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted January 09, 2013 - 05:51 PM

I believe the 10th digit on the VIN tells you the year.

One of the first things the manual tells you is how to identify your bike.

Good luck.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:56 PM

The odo is another good way, dial odo only should be 04, electronic one is 05 I thought. Also AIS is 05 up.

The digital odometer started with the 2006 model... You are correct about AIS, 2005 is first year for that.

If it were me, I'd simply take some flat aluminum stock from the hardware store and make some mounts. It's nothing huge, nothing complicated and not really needed to be 100% perfect. Just an idea, far cheaper than triple clamps.

I had the same problem as the OP with a 2005 WR450 I picked up recently... Previous owner put aftermarket triple clamp on it for reasons unknown, and as a result nothing else fit properly. The headlight, brake line guides, etc... I found a mint condition original Yamaha triple clamp on ebay for $30 and changed it back to stock.

The problem with the OP making adapter brackets for his headlight is the recessed allen bolts holding the clamp together will not play nicely with anything like that.

• MANIAC998

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:30 AM

I had the same problem as the OP with a 2005 WR450 I picked up recently... Previous owner put aftermarket triple clamp on it for reasons unknown, and as a result nothing else fit properly. The headlight, brake line guides, etc... I found a mint condition original Yamaha triple clamp on ebay for $30 and changed it back to stock.

The problem with the OP making adapter brackets for his headlight is the recessed allen bolts holding the clamp together will not play nicely with anything like that.

Yes, but he could replace those recessed bolts with longer flanged bolts and then he wouldn't have the issue.

• miweber929

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:22 AM

Yes, but he could replace those recessed bolts with longer flanged bolts and then he wouldn't have the issue.

Exactly, or make some brackets like I suggested and simply drill and tap the underside if the top clamp and screw it on that way. Turn the handle bars to each side to access the bolt and you're golden.

My CR250 had an aftermarket set of triples and they were a great upgrade that to my limited ability made a nice addition to the handling of that bike. I'd hate to dump them simply over a 30 minute, $5 project to mount it solidly.

Edited by miweber929, January 10, 2013 - 05:22 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.