2003 wr450 Throttle Cable Too Short

4 replies to this topic
  • wr450matt

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'm 6'3" and wanted taller bars for a more comfortable ride. I purchased some Renthal high bend bars. It appears the stock throttle cable on a 2003 WR450 is too short to accomodate higher bars. Am I missing something in the adjustment of the bars or do I need to find a longer throttle cable? If I need a longer throttle cable, any tips on where to get one? Google has come up dry and I didn't see anything on the forums either. Thanks.

• Kmiller2723

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:07 PM

As far as i know they do not offer longer control cables for dirt bikes. I know they do offer them for cruisers and other street bikes. I also have never ran into anyone who had an issue with any of their cables being long enough even with adding risers and higher bars. I do know that if you send your cable into motion pro along with dimensions for how long you want it they can make one for you. But before you go through all that i would suggest getting a service manual and make sure that your cables are routed properly as that can make a big difference.

Edited by Kmiller2723, January 07, 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted January 08, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Yeah, take another peek at how they are run as I'm 6'3" as well, run high bars too and have 7/8" to 1 1/4" adapters without issue on my 04. I'm guessing you have the cable under the front tank bolt instead of above it or something similarly easy.

Simply Re-routing cables should fix it.

Mike

Edited by miweber929, January 12, 2013 - 05:47 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Motion Pro makes longer cables for every dirtbike made.
You don't need longer cables.
I'm 6'4" and ran stock cables on all my WR's.
Thats with BRP 27mm submount risers and KX High bars.

• bg10459

Posted January 16, 2013 - 05:53 AM

I needed a longer throttle cable for my 03 WR when I added a BRP submount and CR hi bars. I ordered a +2" set from Motion Pro....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.