possibly selling my YZF - advice on price?

5 replies to this topic
  • DMC707

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Potentially selling my beautiful (to my eyes) YZF. The gentleman who works on my landing gear(suspension) took it for a spin at his local testing area and likes it quite a bit. I'm fat, but he's fast, so the suspension is almost ideal for both of us with some preload adjustments here and there.
Seems to like it enough that he might go for it if i present him a reasonable proposal ------ I gotta admit, i've lost my zest for MX the last time i went over the bars a year ago and have spent more time trail riding the past year than ever.
I bought a CRF-X and if i sell my YZ, may bump it up to a new WR, who knows

08 YZ450F-- 30 hours on it, - hour meter installed the day it rolled off the showroom --- internals are stone stock, -- DR. D carbon/stainless exhaust and radiator lowering kit , Rekluse clutch (the high end model from '08, not the current high end model ) -- jetting cleaned up, suspension a few steps stiffer and balanced out nicely -- stock plastic / graphics and stock seat was stashed in a box before i took it home --- not that i even need to "doctor it up" to make it look new.

My suspension guy is also a friend and someone i will likely see at the track and trails quite a bit, so i'm not trying to sell it for a mint, but is $3500 too much to ask for a buddy deal? --- clock is ticking on it now that its 2013 and its technically 5 years old

Posted Image

Posted Image

• High_Boost

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:19 PM

thats a clean bike and probably worth every bit of $3500, but I wouldn't call that a "buddy deal" price
It depends a lot on your market, but I would think maybe $3000 would be more of a buddy deal..
Where I am at (Texas) you can buy clean bikes of that year for $3k all day long (without the aftermarket parts). I picked up my 08 last summer for $1500, but it isn't nearly as nice.

• DMC707

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thanks High-Boost, I gotta admit i am a little out of touch with what stuff sells for nowadays ,,

And i know you usually take a bit of a bath on a bike sale --- i also know that you never get your money back on aftermarket parts, but the auto clutch is one of the few items thats a "value added" accesory for guys that like them

I think i might suggest 3k as what i'm, looking for and if he wants it cheaper, maybe barter some suspension work on my next rig or something

better it go to someone who might use it more than just sit in my shop until the tires get dry rotted i guess

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kaw_04_250f

Posted January 04, 2013 - 04:00 AM

That's a great looking bike and I think would easily sell for $3000 stock. Selling it with the Rekluse and Carbon pipe for 3k would be a steal. I would go back to the $3500. I sell on eBay quite a bit and figure you can get 60 cents on the dollar for nice used aftermarket parts. Good luck, someone is going to get a sweet bike!

• YZF831

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Unfortunatley $3500 is high for an 08 (at least here in the midwest.) I bought an 11 with 35hrs on it for $800 more than that this summer. Right before that I was able to get $3k out of my 08 strictly because it was so clean, such as yours. Otherwise I'm seeing them from $2400-$2800 now.

• DMC707

Posted January 04, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Unfortunatley $3500 is high for an 08 (at least here in the midwest.) I bought an 11 with 35hrs on it for $800 more than that this summer. Right before that I was able to get $3k out of my 08 strictly because it was so clean, such as yours. Otherwise I'm seeing them from $2400-$2800 now.

yes -- reality is a cruel b**ch sometimes --- It almost seems that if you don't get out from under them within the first year and a half, you need to keep it for the long haul ---

ITs the same old tale thats been told thousands of times though --- spend 6500 on a new bike, drop another 3k on parts and suspension setup making it yours, then its worth pennies on the dollar a few years later -- oh well, i'm learning a lesson on keeping them too long now ---- but the darn things are so good anymore, its easy for the years to roll on by if your not an "every weekend" rider

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.