Need help-get back into it

5 replies to this topic
  • wswain

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:31 AM

Hey guys am wanting to ask a few questions about the new 450, I have been out of the game for a yr or so after selling my 04 yz450f. Am wanting to get back into it. Was looking at the 2010 yzf and crf. And I love the yamaha but I want some opinions. I just ride woods. I have searched here but not come up with heaps. My mate have 09 yzf and 09 crf and 11 ktm. So am looking at a few yzf they have around 45-50hrs and asking around $ 6-6400 aus.

The thing that is making me hesitant is this frame problem- welds broken. Is this a common thing should I stay away?
Being the first of the efi have there been many dramas?
I like the yamahas but am steering to a crf, the 11 are still abit expensive so it around 10 yzf or 10,11 crf- seems cheaper here.
Thanks will

• kiwikawa

Posted January 03, 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hey mate,

I Have a 2011 YZF (no difference from the 2010 other than BNG) I mostly use it for 6hr iron man cross country and offroad racing but also use it for Motocross for practice and fitness and sometimes race, if i can make the event

I have just fitted a new piston, rings, and cam chain at 66hr (just for peace of mind) but have never had it fail on me at all, and have been in some offroad races that both radiators where completely covered with mud (no air flow) in a 6hr race (and finished not knowing that), when i washed it down the next day and checked the radiator it did not even loose any water at all, I was very supprised.

As for the frame problem - I have not had any of my welds show any sign of problems at all and I had a good look over the welds when i was doing the top-end.
As for the EFI - I have had no problems at all, I keep the fuel clean and make sure no dirt goes into the tank when refueling and also clean my air filters after every ride, i also got the tuner when i bought my bike and it works very well.

I went with the YZF for myself as the exhaust pipe head is protected by the frame and have no chance of smashing it in from a fall or dropping it against rocks (which can end a race or a day out in the woods) all i have added to my bike is the radiator gaurds, bash plate, long range tank, non-slip seat cover, procircuit link and a procircuit slip-on tail pipe with a removable spark arrester.

Posted Image

I hope this help in some way - haha

Cheers from Kiwi

• DMC707

Posted January 03, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Hey mate,

I Have a 2011 YZF (no difference from the 2010 other than BNG) I mostly use it for 6hr iron man cross country and offroad racing but also use it for Motocross for practice and fitness and sometimes race, if i can make the event

I have just fitted a new piston, rings, and cam chain at 66hr (just for peace of mind) but have never had it fail on me at all, and have been in some offroad races that both radiators where completely covered with mud (no air flow) in a 6hr race (and finished not knowing that), when i washed it down the next day and checked the radiator it did not even loose any water at all, I was very supprised.

As for the frame problem - I have not had any of my welds show any sign of problems at all and I had a good look over the welds when i was doing the top-end.
As for the EFI - I have had no problems at all, I keep the fuel clean and make sure no dirt goes into the tank when refueling and also clean my air filters after every ride, i also got the tuner when i bought my bike and it works very well.

I went with the YZF for myself as the exhaust pipe head is protected by the frame and have no chance of smashing it in from a fall or dropping it against rocks (which can end a race or a day out in the woods) all i have added to my bike is the radiator gaurds, bash plate, long range tank, non-slip seat cover, procircuit link and a procircuit slip-on tail pipe with a removable spark arrester.

Posted Image

I hope this help in some way - haha

Cheers from Kiwi

It looks like you just got attacked by a swarm of flies

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mwmx54

Posted January 03, 2013 - 05:50 PM

mines just like kiwikawas and I love it. it handles awesome in the woods. great forks, shock needs a little help, but even its great for stock.
mine has over 100 hours and I just ran into some clutch problems. nothing major though. take care of any bike and change oil often and they will all run good.

Edited by mwmx54, January 03, 2013 - 05:53 PM.

• wswain

Posted January 04, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the replys, I really like the look of the new yzf. I'll look around and see. They seem to be getting alot cheaper.

• kiwikawa

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:26 AM

No problem mate, I hope what I typed above (my 2c) was able to help you in some way haha.

Best of luck finding your new ride and let us know how you get on.

And like what mwmx54 said, keep any bike well maintained and it is less likely to let you down on a trail ride or race day.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.