Siezed 99 WR400 yesterday .... advice on head removal please

10 replies to this topic
  • Bazzaboy7

Posted January 02, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi there - Happy New Year ............. well it is for some !!

Went out for a blast yesterday to blow out the Christmas cobwebs :ride: after a few weeks of not riding her.

All OK for the first 2-3 miles of slow (ish) road riding then started to notice a 'binding' or weird 'fast slowing down' feeling which I initially thought may be fuel due to recent carb re-build so switched over to reserve and carried on .................. it happened once more ... then at approx 40mph the engine siezed and locked the back wheel up. I immediately pulled in the clutch and let it come to a standstill.

I tried to kick it and initially it moved (with more resistance than normal) even with de-comp lever engaged. Then it locked up again so I got a lift home, got the van, picked it up and brought it home :foul:
Tried to kick it over gently today and it does move but there is definitely more resistance than I would expect.

Pulled the plug and the cam cover and turned it using the crankshaft nut - still a bit 'graunchy' and not smooth.

Oil level fine, gauze in the oil reservoir clean, oil in the cam area and the cams look to all be aligned OK :huh: , the cam chain tensioner is a manual version with a bolt and locking nut and the chain sems to be OK too.

I guess the next thing is head off to se what lies beneath :eek: ........................................ I have had a look around and can't see any threads or posts with head removal guides although I'm sure that knowing the helpful souls who frequent this forum there must be at least 20 !!!

Anyone with some useful advice would be very much appreciated ............... :applause:

Thanks in advance .......... :)

• MANIAC998

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm willing to bet that it's your crank that needs rebuilding/replacement. As for removal procedures of the head, use the Yamaha manual. It's really good!

• L. Euler

Posted January 02, 2013 - 06:36 PM

I was going to offer my .pdf manual, but its for a 03 450.

Edited by GammaFunction, January 02, 2013 - 06:39 PM.

• Bazzaboy7

Posted January 03, 2013 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Maniac and Gammafunction - will get one.
Haven't needed one yet so put off the inevitable !

Need one now though !!

• Bazzaboy7

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Got it all to pieces and found the big-end bearing has failed :foul:

It's also scuffed the bore too :rant: and marked the piston skirt

Need to either source the new parts and rebuild or get another engine and make sure I look after it !!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Any UK WR400's going cheap ????????????? :thumbsup:

Edited by Bazzaboy7, January 12, 2013 - 09:02 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kmiller2723

Posted January 12, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Got it all to pieces and found the big-end bearing has failed :foul:

It's also scuffed the bore too :rant: and marked the piston skirt

Need to either source the new parts and rebuild or get another engine and make sure I look after it !!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Any UK WR400's going cheap ????????????? :thumbsup:

Do you not have access to a parts dealer? If you didnt crack the cases or anything i dont see why you want to look to get another engine?

• RichFZR-WR

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Your looking at around £600-£800 easy to fix.
If your lucky enough to source another engine its probably gonna need a rebuild anyway, unless its been rebuilt with receipts to prove.
If you've got the money rebuild it at least you know its got a fresh engine, other wise you may have to cut your loses.
Been there last year when mine dropped a piston ring, scored the bore and sent shards of metal all through the engine.
Yamaha piston kit. £185
Conrod kit £80
Main bearings £75
Cylinder work £170
Seal kit £45
Cam chain £50
Crank?
It adds up pretty quickly into £.
Good luck with what you have ahead, I hope you can sort it out.

• Kmiller2723

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:35 AM

If your lucky enough to source another engine its probably gonna need a rebuild anyway, unless its been rebuilt with receipts to prove.
If you've got the money rebuild it at least you know its got a fresh engine, other wise you may have to cut your loses.
Been there last year when mine dropped a piston ring, scored the bore and sent shards of metal all through the engine.
Yamaha piston kit. £185
Conrod kit £80
Main bearings £75
Cylinder work £170
Seal kit £45
Cam chain £50
Crank?

+1

Also if you are having issues with locating parts i work for a yamaha dealer and i can help you locate parts, or send them over the pond to ya if need be.

• Bazzaboy7

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot Rich - was really expecting that much to be honest - like you say it will be fresh at least !!
Will keep you updated :thumbsup:

• Bazzaboy7

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:42 AM

+1
Also if you are having issues with locating parts i work for a yamaha dealer and i can help you locate parts, or send them over the pond to ya if need be.

Cheers for the offer :thumbsup: ............ may well take you up on that one after looking at UK prices !!! :jawdrop:

• Bazzaboy7

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Do you not have access to a parts dealer? If you didnt crack the cases or anything i dont see why you want to look to get another engine?

Really just to try and limit the expense to be honest - I know that's just a short-term view and I will probably end up spending more in the long run if the replacement engine is not A1 either !

My thinking was to buy another whole WR with a strong (as far as you can tell from the outside) engine and maybe more questionable aesthetics or no MOT etc etc then use the engine, sell off the unwanted other parts (Forks, yokes, wheels, panels, exhaust etc etc etc) and re-coup some of the funds. Then give the new engine a treat with top quality oil, filter etc.

The other problem is WR's are like Rocking Horse S&%t here in the UK so finding the perfect one for me is going to take a while I fear :thumbsdn:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.