what's the best boot going right now

20 replies to this topic
  • mxcowboy

Posted October 29, 2001 - 04:32 PM

I'm going to buy a new pair of boots and was wondering what everybody likes.

I've done a search on boots and everybody has their opinions on tech 8's and 6's was wondering if it's still a bad opinion(soft soles).

any opinion on any other boot is good to.

I have a pair of gaerne's now that I've had for 10 years but it's time to retire them. I'll have the retirement ceremony this week I hope..

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 29, 2001 - 04:38 PM

Right now I'm using a pair of Tech 8's which I like very much. They're comfortable enough to wear around all day and the soles seem to be holding up very well. In addition the buckles are replaceable and the arch has a block that is replaceable as well (on the bottom). They're my first pair of real boots so I don't have much to compare to, but I have no complaints so far.

• MXOldtimer

Posted October 29, 2001 - 04:44 PM

A vote for Tech 8's here

• Yamimoto

Posted October 29, 2001 - 05:18 PM

Tech 8's for me!

• troyoda

Posted October 29, 2001 - 05:46 PM

Hands down it's Tech 8's

• Thumpologist

Posted October 29, 2001 - 05:47 PM

Tec 8s are comfortable from day one.

• Merfman

Posted October 30, 2001 - 04:48 AM

Make it yet another vote for the Tech 8's. Best boot I've
ever owned. Buy an extra set of booties though if you're
going to ride back-to-back days. They take some time
to dry.

• JBM

Posted October 30, 2001 - 05:15 AM

Although I don't have any, I've heard many good things about the Sidi Force boot. I like the Gaerne SG1 as well, for the price. There is some boot reviews at dirtrider.net if you want to check that out.

• skthom

Posted October 30, 2001 - 07:51 AM

OK - I'm going against the grain here. I didn't like the Tech 8's when I looked for boots. The buckles were a little sharp and difficult to quickly manipulate. The bootie thing was a hassle. At least on my foot it was not easy to get "into" the boot properly. I won't question the safety aspects however. I thought the tech 6's to be a little cheaply made considering the price (no offense intended to tech 6/8 owners).

After trying on all the "high end" boots (Axo RC5, Sidi Force, Tech 6/8, Gaerne SG1) I ended up with Gaerne SG1's. I though they fit my feet well (size 11 wide) and were very well made.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Steve T

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: skthom ]

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: skthom ]

• Colorado426

Posted October 30, 2001 - 04:59 PM

Tech 8's Rule They break in nicely and the bootys are very comfortable

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto747

Posted October 30, 2001 - 05:16 PM

I love my Tech'6 Just got them back from Alpinestars. $80 to resole and cap. Tech'8 are nice to but a little heaver. Tech 10's are coming soon.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Moto747 ]

• lumpy790

Posted October 30, 2001 - 06:18 PM

tech 8's I have had them for a year and no problems I wouldn't have had with any other boots. (moto damadge to buckles)

• yzernie

Posted October 30, 2001 - 09:24 PM

Another against the grain opinion. I have the MSR top line boot (which are made by Alpinestar) and really like them. They too have the replacable insert on the sole. They are cheaper than the Tech 8's too. I have had mine for two years and they are still in great shape. Since I ride on my instep instead of the ball of my foot I have had to replace the sole insert once. They do not have the bootie but still offer great protection.

• jamracing

Posted October 31, 2001 - 07:42 AM

I really like my Tech 6's, because I couldn't justify the extra cash. Plus, the 6's are a little less bulky, and lighter. You should also look at the SIDI Force and the Acerbis Sphere. Man, do I hate shopping for boots...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 31, 2001 - 08:08 AM

Tech 8's are the best boot I've had, but of course the trade off for safety is that they are very heavy. Mine have the old style buckles which all face the same way. I've heard that with the new style, off road guys have had problems with brush popping the buckles open. Break in was quick and painless and you get used to the booties real quick. Don't order by mail unless you try them on at a shop first as the bootie requires that you buy at least a size bigger than usual.

• DaveJ

Posted October 31, 2001 - 08:31 AM

My turn.

I cannot think of anything more easy and cozy than a set of Alpine Vectors.

Do yourself a favor and try a pair on.

My only concern was it needed a little more arc support for the foot - remedied by a SuperFeet insert.

It's the only boot I know that doesn't require break in and goes on and come off with ease.

Why they haven't promoted these boots more is beyond me. Perhaps they don't offer as much protection as the Tech 8's.

• john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted October 31, 2001 - 08:37 AM

I have never tried Tech 8's, but I love my Tech 6 boots.

• Scott_F

Posted October 31, 2001 - 09:43 AM

Moto747, what do you know about Tech 10's? I just bought new Tech 8's, about my 4th pair, and I called Astars before I bought them to see if they had anything new coming. Of course, they said no, so they can continue to sell existing inventory. I guess when we see factory riders wearing them, they will be along shortly thereafter.

DaveJ, when the Vectors came out, I called Astars and asked which boot is better for MX. They strongly recommended the Tech 8. I believe it is better because it is stiffer, taller, way more supportive, and may have a stiffer shank.

The buckles are one of the worst features on this otherwise great boot. They have sharp corners which can be painful and can cut fingers. I file down the sharp points. The bootie and boots are a little narrow, but after a short break in time, they conform well and offer great support and protection.

Posted October 31, 2001 - 12:04 PM

Tech 8's :)

• DaveJ

Posted October 31, 2001 - 01:36 PM

ScottF - Your fourth pair of Tech 8'?

Is there a day you don't ride?

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.