2004 Yz450f popping

12 replies to this topic
  • Heflin07

Posted December 29, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hey everybody I'm new here and I need some advise. I have a 2004 yz450f that had a lot of popping on deceleration. I am pretty mechanical inclined I work on bikes all the time but I can't get this one figured out. I first started cleaning carb and checking valves. Everything is good now I have a 150 pilot jet and a 170 main jet. Fuel screw is at 2.5 turns out. I just put a new exhaust gasket in it. I don't know what else it could be I am riding at 0-500 ft elevation, it is about 50 here

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

• MichaelY

Posted December 29, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Check for crack in exhaust or not sealed good to engine / header?

• Heflin07

Posted December 29, 2012 - 03:05 PM

The header is bent a little bit from a pretty rough crash. Could that effect it any

• Heflin07

Posted December 29, 2012 - 03:32 PM

I went and checked for cracks in the header and there isn't any and far as I can tell there is no leak in the exhaust system anywhere. It does have a slip on exhaust is the the reason for popping should I go higher in pilot jet

• CG118

Posted December 29, 2012 - 04:22 PM

45-50 pilot.

• grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:42 PM

... I have a 150 pilot jet ...

No you don't.

When you're looking for air leaks in the exhaust, don't overlook the header/mid pipe joint.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Heflin07

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I put a new gasket thing in that to.

• Will.A.R.

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:46 AM

My 04 had a dead spot off idle which made low throttle stuff a little jerky. Dissassembled the carb and found one of the crossover feeds(terminology?) plugged. These are 1 small hole in front of the emulsion tube and 3 just in front of that. It was the first small hole that was plugged. Took some time and a couple of copper strands out of a 26 ga speaker wire to clean it out. Reassembled the carb and the off idle response was improved but not fixed and now I had an AWFUL pop on decel problem. Took the carb back apart and recleaned everything all over. The hole wound up being partially plugged but blew out with compressed air this time, reassembled and the bike runs flawlessly. I cant give you a definative reason what my decel pop was caused by but the process above fixed it. It could've been anything from removal and installation or anything in between but I thought I'd share in case it helped. And no I DO NOT advocate cleaning any hole in a carb with copper wire or anything else. If you do the risk is yours.

• Heflin07

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Yea that's helpful thanks I haven't tried blowing it out with compressed air just use carb cleaner

• Will.A.R.

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Be sure to blow from the small side of the hole your blowing through. If it were to have trash it would like need to be "back- flushed". I have a blower that has a pencil thin 5 inch spout on it to get into the carb throat with.

• Heflin07

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Just wanted to report back I found the problem. It was the vacuum plate seal in the slide was all cracked up. Put a new one in from Motosports.com for $8 and now it's running awsome. Thanks for all the replies.

• vic2340

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:03 PM

This is how I made my 2009 yz450f behave itself and stop popping. I set the carb completely stock (my bike had no aftermarket exhaust or engine work done to it and I am below 3000 ft) then I simply adjusted the pilot air screw after buying an easy adjust air screw that you can turn with your fingers. I figured out the perfect amount of turns and now no more popping. It does have a slight bit of hesitation on the bottom end but thats a different story. For that my trouble shooting section in my manual is telling me to set the needle clip position one clip higher and if that makes it worse go a clip position lower. I am going to do that once riding weather comes around. Jetting in the winter is not the best time because its cold. Cold sucks for too many reasons to list.

• hvymtlfan

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for posting follow-up..... happen to see post in daily email yet sadly never replied.
Have (had) same issue riding last winter... yet from other non Yamaha post.... ended up
w/ a fractured sacrum all last year and still an issue..... so still no riding.

Found your reply interesting... since developed about same issue & just chaulked it up
to weather variations w/o any adjustments.... so I'll have to take a look at the vac. plate
seal as well. Or, start making adjustments accordingly....

Tossed a new header pipe this past fall (more for looks) from pitted / rocked, yet + with
grayracer and should replace w/ new at joint.

Good tips from others... and nice to see info relative to an 04.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.