Battery Question

10 replies to this topic
  • rerich

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:41 PM

On my 05 WR450 when the bike is running and the battery is disconnected will it continue to run because the charging system is working or will it die reguardless? Dumb @$$ question......

• Chas_M

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:04 AM

Yes it will. The engine will still kick start and run like normal without a battery.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 29, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Are you sure? When my battery in my '06 died, I couldn't get it to fire by kickstarting. Tried many, many times and nothing. And I've never, ever had any issues ever with the bike. So I picked up a new battery, and instantly the bike fired up and ran as well as it ever had.

• miweber929

Posted December 29, 2012 - 04:33 PM

I agree with Maniac, my 04 wouldn't start without a battery in it, though I've read other people have said it will.

Threw the battery in it, started right up. I don't think the battery has to be charged (but it can't be shorted or draining on the system) but it needs to be there in my experience.

Edited by miweber929, December 30, 2012 - 09:08 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:35 PM

And I think that was what mine was doing, shorting out internally. My dash was going all kinds of crazy the day before, and then the morning of our ride, nothing! So I replaced the lead/acid with one of those new fangled Lithium/ion's, and the bike was perfect again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rerich

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for your input but, is there a mechanic out there that knows for sure.
Will the bike keep running or die when you disconnect the battery?
Does it determine if the charging system is working or not?
Please help!

• rerich

Posted December 30, 2012 - 12:33 PM

On my 05 WR450 when the bike is running and the battery is disconnected it will die. Is this because there is a problem with the charging system or is this normal. Please help!

• William1

Posted December 30, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Normal. Your CDI is DC and at idle and low speeds, the power generated is unstable, hence no battery-bike stalling. You can try installing a capacitor if you do not want to run a battery. It is not wise to have nothing in place of the battery or a capacitor as they also absorb over voltages too.

• allterra

Posted December 31, 2012 - 06:52 PM

The bike will run but will likely stall and not start at low rpms. according to the prints on line the dc portion of the stator will power the cdi but not untill you reach 2k rpms where you have a smooth dc current prior to that it is pulsed and will miss. To eliminate the battery you will need an eliminator circuit which usually consists of atleast a cap and resisters to electronically look like a battery. As for the charging system it will not know the diff. All it does is supply a voltage and a small amount of current.

• rerich

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:12 AM

The bike will run but will likely stall and not start at low rpms. according to the prints on line the dc portion of the stator will power the cdi but not untill you reach 2k rpms where you have a smooth dc current prior to that it is pulsed and will miss. To eliminate the battery you will need an eliminator circuit which usually consists of atleast a cap and resisters to electronically look like a battery. As for the charging system it will not know the diff. All it does is supply a voltage and a small amount of current.

Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.

• rerich

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Normal. Your CDI is DC and at idle and low speeds, the power generated is unstable, hence no battery-bike stalling. You can try installing a capacitor if you do not want to run a battery. It is not wise to have nothing in place of the battery or a capacitor as they also absorb over voltages too.

Thank you William for your reply.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.