Any good comparison/opinons on the newer 12'/13' WR's vs 10's?

28 replies to this topic

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Seen alot of magazine reviews etc but none really comparing how the newer ones stack up to the older 2010's etc. Has anyone switched that can give a good comparison between the two and is it really worth the extra coin? I know all the differences between the bikes but what I want to know is how it handles on the trails (weight, suspension, turning etc).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

I haven't got to ride a12' yet. It weighs the same. I know the forks are way better, it probably turns a bit better, whether FI is an upgrade is debatable.

I was on the fence, but ended up buying a like new 09 (Yamaha didn't import any 2010 models) that was plated for $4500. I couldn't see $4000 in difference b/t the 12 and 09.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

I haven't got to ride a12' yet. It weighs the same. I know the forks are way better, it probably turns a bit better, whether FI is an upgrade is debatable.

I was on the fence, but ended up buying a like new 09 (Yamaha didn't import any 2010 models) that was plated for $4500. I couldn't see $4000 in difference b/t the 12 and 09.

Didn't know there were no 10's, were there 11's? I'm in the market to get one and just figured I could save on a good used vs new as long as the newer one wasn't hands down a better bike. I've owned 3 yz450's and In my opinion they made huge strides between the steel framed and say an 08' but I don't feel like the 10'/13's performance wise is leaps and bounds above 08'/09's. I'm already used to the suspension/fuel injection etc of the YZ450 and figure the newer Wr450 would be similar but I have not had much time riding any Wr's for any length of time.

• TheKoolAidMadeMeSick

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

2007-2011 WR is the same bike.

• JDLowrance

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I just got done installing all of my go fast goodies but have not had a chance to ride it other than up and down the alley a couple of times. Will report my impressions of 09 v 12 once I've had a chance to get it out for a proper blast....maybe towards the end of next week.

This is the article that sealed the deal for me.

http://cyclenews.cov...s/20120515#pg33

Here is another that convinced me to buy.

http://www.motorcycl...view-91252.html

• BoiseBee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

The suspension on the '12 is light years ahead of the previous models, and the handling/turning of the new frame is also much better. Bandit says the upgrade to FI is debatable, but I will debate that one all day long.... the FI is pure magic! The throttle response is amazing, and the ability to ride here in the high desert at 3,000 feet one day, and drive up to the mountain single track trails at 10,000+ the next with NO difference in performance was the icing on the cake for me.

• MANIAC998

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

I like the sound of that BoiseBee! But I still would like a head to head comparison between carbed and EFI. We all know to take whatever the magazines say with a grain of salt!!!

• MANIAC998

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

I've always liked Cyclenews tests. They are one of the few "magazines" that I trust. Very good tests out of both of those "magazines"!

• Bandit9

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Believe me, if money wasn't a factor, I would have got the 12'.

My carb is really nice now with that AP spring.

Having a license plate was big deal with me too.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I just got done installing all of my go fast goodies but have not had a chance to ride it other than up and down the alley a couple of times. Will report my impressions of 09 v 12 once I've had a chance to get it out for a proper blast....maybe towards the end of next week.

Good articles thanks. Will be looking forward to your comparison between the 2.

• Navaho6

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have an '06 and recently owned an '09. I have also ridden the 2012 twice, once on tight single track and again on open quad trail, back to back with my '09. The '12 was bone stock and very choked up but the suspension was remarkable!

It is definitely worth the extra $ just for the suspension. Of course it handles better mainly because of the suspension. It's hard to compare the frames because the suspension has so much to do with a bikes handling and the older WR's are pure garbage in that dept. There is nothing that you can do to the older WR suspsension that will make it what the '12 is. I've been trying for years. Only thing I didn't like about the '12 is the seat height. A bit tall for me at 5'-9".

Edited by Navaho6, 31 December 2012 - 09:20 AM.

• JDLowrance

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

The seat hieght is actually reported to be just under an inch lower than the 07-11. I would assume it was the 12s stiffer suspension holding the bike up higher in the stroke.

• Navaho6

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I will probably ride the '12 again next weekend. I'll try to remember to bring a ruler and take some measurements but just sitting on the bike, it is harder to reach the ground than my '06 or '09. The owner of the '12 also commented on the tall feel. It feels about like my '07 450 EXC which sits about 3/4" higher than my '06 WR.

• MANIAC998

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

It is definitely worth the extra $ just for the suspension. Of course it handles better mainly because of the suspension. It's hard to compare the frames because the suspension has so much to do with a bikes handling and the older WR's are pure garbage in that dept. There is nothing that you can do to the older WR suspsension that will make it what the '12 is. I've been trying for years.

I hear what your saying, but you can find SSS forks all over the internet nowadays, so upgrading the suspension of the older models is fairly easy, just not cheap!

• highmarker

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

my 02, Fi just complicated the big tank options. Suks being the guy low on fuel.

• JDLowrance

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Just put an IMS 3.0 gallon tank on my 2012. Mounts up very nicely.....range will not be an issue compared to my riding buddies.

• MANIAC998

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

my 02, Fi just complicated the big tank options. Suks being the guy low on fuel.

Exactly! I've got a 6.6 gallon tank on my '06 WR450 Baja bike, so 3 gallons just ain't gonna cut it.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

The seat hieght is actually reported to be just under an inch lower than the 07-11. I would assume it was the 12s stiffer suspension holding the bike up higher in the stroke.

Just went down to the dealer the other day and threw a leg over one and thought the same thing. My yz450's I've had I could almost flat foot with sneakers on but I was up on both my toes. It feels exactly like my Husqavarna and that bike is tall, I don't know where they are getting its an inch lower.

• Navaho6

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

I hear what your saying, but you can find SSS forks all over the internet nowadays, so upgrading the suspension of the older models is fairly easy, just not cheap!

I've considered doing that. You end up with a better suspension but not much added value after a LOT of money and effort invested. Then when you are all done, you might have a bike that works ALMOST as good as a new WR in the suspension dept only. You're still left with an inferior frame and fuel delivery system. The money and time not spent could go towards buying and enjoying a supremely better bike.

I've come to realize that any money I spend on my '06 now is money down the drain.

Edited by Navaho6, 01 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

• gcally

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

I've considered doing that. You end up with a better suspension but not much added value after a LOT of money and effort invested. Then when you are all done, you might have a bike that works ALMOST as good as a new WR in the suspension dept only. You're still left with an inferior frame and fuel delivery system. The money and time not spent could go towards buying and enjoying a supremely better bike.

I've come to realize that any money I spend on my '06 now is money down the drain.

How much better is the stock 12 suspension compared to an 11 with reworked valving and springs?

I just picked up a brand new 07 for $4,000 out the door and almost bought a 2012 leftover for $6,500. I think for the average weekend trail and single track rider the 2012 is not light years ahead of the 07-11’s. I just could not justify laying out an extra $2,500.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.