How to tell a wr400/426 from a 03-06 wr450 bottom end only.

4 replies to this topic
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted December 26, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hey guys i'm going to check out a 2004 wr450 bottom end. I'm buying it for the transmission to put in my yz. Just wanted to make sure it is not a yz/wr400/426 bottom end. I was wondering if any one new any engine #'s/codes or any thing to help identiy or any other visuals. From what i'm told it is mostly pulled apart.

Never mind i'm stupid. IT has a hole for a stater!!!!! :lame:

Edited by f150jokerstyle, December 26, 2012 - 10:33 PM.

• MaxPower

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Look at the hole in the case at the base of the cylinder. Where oil would pass from the clutch to the crank. 426 and 400 will have a round hole . The 450 will have a oval passage. To be clear its the hole in the case above the primary gear

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:47 PM

And a 03+ WR will have estart .

• f150jokerstyle

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:58 PM

And a 03+ WR will have estart .

That is what I went off of. I think I got a good deal on it. I got a 04 wr bottom end complete minus clutch basket and stator for 250. I bought it just for the trans for my YZ but I'm really not sure I want to put it in. I think I'm going to do a few desert races on the 4 speed and see how it goes. the wr trans from the 03-06 seem pretty hard to find so I just bought it any ways lol.

• MaxPower

Posted January 02, 2013 - 09:09 AM

I would think you will want the 5 speed . We will see I guess

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.