Piston & Gudgeon Pin Pics and Q's ?

13 replies to this topic
  • Stu2

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hey gents, please have a look at my piston, is my bike running rich ? Its an 11' with the marmot woods map, piston has done 86 hours,

Posted Image

Also, the old gungeon pin has a line in the middle, i cannot feel it with my finger but is it starting to pick up ? Should I change the con rod ?

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Both parts look normal. Can't tell about AF ratio from the top of the piston, though.

• Family Man

Posted December 25, 2012 - 06:53 PM

i would change the conrod and circlips and piston and rings. Are your valves in spec? whats the underside of the piston look like? Piston looks about right, lots of carbon buildup though.

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:24 PM

i would change the conrod ...

You mean wrist pin, right?

• Stu2

Posted December 26, 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thanks for the replies and advice guys,

This is a pic of the underside of the piston

Posted Image

• Stu2

Posted December 26, 2012 - 02:44 AM

Just to clarify I will be doing the piston, wrist pin,timing chain, and valve stem seals as the bike was using oil,

Valves looked great and were still in spec, I tend not to ride the bike up to the limiter so it does not get over revved, I ride with a clean air filter every ride, oil and filter get doen after every race or every other practice ride

• stroker101

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:38 AM

so would you say that the oil rich condition was from the consumption of oil vs the marmot woods ignition and FI mapping?

Edited by stroker101, December 27, 2012 - 06:40 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Except for the fact that you say it was using oil, there's no evidence from the piston crown that there ever was such a condition. The carbon "build up" is fairly normal, and the amount one sees on a piston with that kind of time on it will vary a lot based on how the specific engine has been used over that time. Besides, all it takes to burn 200cc per hour is 0.001cc in the combustion chamber each time the engine fires.

The mapping would not have led to any condition that would have caused oil consumption unless it was so rich that it was actually running poorly because of it.

• Family Man

Posted December 27, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Yeah I meant change the wrist pin. the con rod should be ok.

• kiwikawa

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi Stu2

I am having the same problem but my bike started to use oil at the 66hr mark, I have just replaced my topend and timing chain but didnt think i needed to worry about the stem seals (valves are still the same from new and have not moved at all) as i checked the clearences on all the old rings as per the manual and they had all reached or passed the limit as listed in the manual. I dont use cheap brand oil (I am using Motul 300V) as I believe what you put in is what you get out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am using avgas 100 leaded fuel in my bike as the fuel from the pumps here in NZ are full of ocean water (salt water) for some unknown reason.

• Stu2

Posted January 01, 2013 - 02:07 AM

Thanks guys, it was using about 200-300ml in a race, I dont know if its critical, but I dont feel comfortable with the oil getting low, also used castrol power 1 fully synth

• mwmx54

Posted January 03, 2013 - 06:02 PM

thats alot of oil to use in one race... but what you plan to replace should fix all that right up.

• Stu2

Posted January 04, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks mx54, just to clarify its over a 200km fast gncc type off road race, and the particular race was fast and I had the bike wide oprn and singing in 5th,

Hopefully after the changes it will be good, firing it up tomorrow

• kiwikawa

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:16 AM

Just a quick update...

I have now done 3 hours engine time with the new piston and rings and I am happy to report no oil was lost.

Stu2 I am sure you will be able to report the same after also replacing the valve stem seals on your bike at the same time.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.