2009 yz450f with 2006 yz450f cdi box

21 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hey guys!!

I searched thumpertalk so much and i even looked on google and i still couldnt find what i was really looking for,

But i was wondering who out there has a 2009 yz450f with a 06 cdi? Whats the difference? I know the cdi will give you more snappy low end but is there a noticable difference?

Also my 09 is jetted and has a Dr.d exhaust system. What will i notice from that by puting on a 06 cdi?

Will the cdi decrease the reliability of the bike? And by puting on that cdi will i hurt anything electrical wie?

thanks so much guys!! I hope you have an awesome christmas and if there is anything else i should know please post it up

Alex

• rcdude33

Posted December 23, 2012 - 09:43 AM

anybody?

• Gunner354

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey guys!!

I searched thumpertalk so much and i even looked on google and i still couldnt find what i was really looking for,

But i was wondering who out there has a 2009 yz450f with a 06 cdi? Whats the difference? I know the cdi will give you more snappy low end but is there a noticable difference?

Also my 09 is jetted and has a Dr.d exhaust system. What will i notice from that by puting on a 06 cdi?

Will the cdi decrease the reliability of the bike? And by puting on that cdi will i hurt anything electrical wie?

thanks so much guys!! I hope you have an awesome christmas and if there is anything else i should know please post it up

Alex

I have two 09 yz450's. First thing we did was installed a Dr.D pipe. Good power increase but still not to my liking right off the bottom. I bought an 06 cdi off eBay and it is a direct replacement and easy to do. All the 06 cdi is doing is advancing the timing down low. It will not hurt anything and it is in my opinion a perfect motor now. Just enough snap down low without being overwhelming like a 500 2 stroke used to be. It is not an earth shattering difference but you will notice it. I don't believe anyone that has installed an 06 cdi on an 08 or 09 was disappointed they made the change.

Edited by Gunner354, December 23, 2012 - 12:22 PM.

• rcdude33

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:31 PM

That's cool! Like how does the mid and top end feel? Does it feel a lot stronger?

• Gunner354

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:09 PM

It feels about the same. All the 06 cdi appears to do is liven up the motor right off idle.

• rcdude33

Posted December 24, 2012 - 05:53 AM

Do u think the mod is worth the money?

• atrdrvr7

Posted December 24, 2012 - 12:04 PM

I have the 06 cdi in my 08. It made a huge difference to the 08. Love the power delivery now. It's controllable and has way more bottom end now. Very worth the cheap upgrade. I picked one off ebay for $45.00.

• Kaw_04_250f

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hey ATRDRV7, I was wondering does it improve the bottom end to run an 06 CDI with the stock shorty pipe on an 08. I am just starting to be to the point where I would like some more torque on the low end of my bone stock 08 but again I kind of like the smooth predictability (wimpy-ness) now. I don't need a fire breathing dragon just yet! Thanks

• atrdrvr7

Posted December 27, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hey ATRDRV7, I was wondering does it improve the bottom end to run an 06 CDI with the stock shorty pipe on an 08. I am just starting to be to the point where I would like some more torque on the low end of my bone stock 08 but again I kind of like the smooth predictability (wimpy-ness) now. I don't need a fire breathing dragon just yet! Thanks

I would say yes. But I dumped the stock pipe the first week I owned the bike. It seems to be a major bottleneck on the system. That said I have personally tested the 06 and 08 cdi on the track back to back. The 06 cdi brings back that nice bottom end grunt that seemed to be missing from the stock 08. I run a fmf powercore 4 exhaust, 06 cdi, boyseen quickshot 3 adjustable leak jet, 50t rear sprocket. The bike feels really balanced to me. I will say that I switch back to 49t rear sprocket on tracks with faster sections. Hope this helps

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2012 - 03:28 PM

...I was wondering does it improve the bottom end to run an 06 CDI with the stock shorty pipe on an 08. [...]

The CDI has more an effect on the low-mid range than the pipe does, IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kaw_04_250f

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:58 AM

The CDI has more an effect on the low-mid range than the pipe does, IMO.

Your opinion just saved me about $400. I will pick one up on EBay and give it a try this season. I just ride MX for fun with my son and I love the way you can just lug this thing around without a lot of shifting. At the end of last season, I was wanting a little quicker recovery out of turns. Thanks guys!

• Gunner354

Posted December 28, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Your opinion just saved me about $400. I will pick one up on EBay and give it a try this season. I just ride MX for fun with my son and I love the way you can just lug this thing around without a lot of shifting. At the end of last season, I was wanting a little quicker recovery out of turns. Thanks guys!

I would still buy a pipe . The 06 cdi and Dr D pipe additions made my 09 motor perfect in my opinion.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:25 AM

The exhaust IS still a big factor in why the low end is so soft on the '08-'09's, and will still improve the bike after the CDI is changed, but between the two, the CDI is more effective as a stand-alone mod in most cases.

• Obnxos

Posted February 22, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Does any one have a part number for 06 yz450 cdi unit ?

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Yamaha does. http://www.yamaha-mo.../starthere.aspx

Fortunately, so do I: 2S2-85540-00-00

The unit will be marked "2S2" if you're looking at a used one.

• Yzflier977

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:00 PM

I bought a bone stock '09 450 last summer. After reading on here the best bang for your buck mods I bought a 2006 CID off eBay for $65.00. I went up to a 50 tooth rear sprocket from a 49. I also didn't want to drop $400 or so on a new exhaust and since I liked the look of the factory shorty muffler, I went in and drilled out both the "snow cones" that are the main culprit in bottling up the factory exhaust. Repacked the can and reinstalled. I also switched to a nfpp needle for the carb. Bike starts 1st or 2nd kick almost every time, just a little popping on deceleration (not bad though and I understand a little is normal). Bike pulls strong out of slower corners and rips down the straights. Very manageable, but strong power delivery now. For my riding style and ability it's perfect. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Obnxos

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thanks garyracer I shall have a look around some wreckers here in New Zealand, I have just put on Yoshi ti header and pipe and have noticed improvements low to mid next step cdi

• Obnxos

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:42 PM

I bought a bone stock '09 450 last summer. After reading on here the best bang for your buck mods I bought a 2006 CID off eBay for $65.00. I went up to a 50 tooth rear sprocket from a 49. I also didn't want to drop $400 or so on a new exhaust and since I liked the look of the factory shorty muffler, I went in and drilled out both the "snow cones" that are the main culprit in bottling up the factory exhaust. Repacked the can and reinstalled. I also switched to a nfpp needle for the carb. Bike starts 1st or 2nd kick almost every time, just a little popping on deceleration (not bad though and I understand a little is normal). Bike pulls strong out of slower corners and rips down the straights. Very manageable, but strong power delivery now. For my riding style and ability it's perfect. Just my 2 cents worth.

Nfpp needle? Yes I have a bit of popping on decel almost all the time is this very good for the engine as I just had bike fully recon then put pipe on and I'm wondering if my jetting is off. Bike performs very well across entire rev range with no hesitation at all.sometimes when at idle though and Kwik bap on throttle it does sometimes stall

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:09 PM

The decel popping you describe is an indication that the idle circuit is just about right, really. Some popping some of the time, especially when the engine and/or the weather is colder is right about where it should be.

The needle won't affect idle, or decel backfire, but it can help with the stumble off idle. Understand that if a jetting guru spent two days on your bike and got it running truly perfect, you could still make it gag by snapping the throttle open from idle to WOT. It's more a question of weather it ever does that underway in a realistic situation.

• MotoNatz88

Posted March 03, 2013 - 08:55 PM

When looking to do the 06 CDI mod, do you just need the CDI box or the whole wiring harness too? I'm looking to do this myself.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.