wr 450 head v yzf 450 head

12 replies to this topic
  • minty0_10

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Sump plug fell out of my bike the other day witch lead to me losing all the oil and as a result the cam has marked the head. :cry:

Anyone know if a 09 yzf head is the same as a 07 wr 450?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:41 AM

same expect the yz wont have the ais ports drilled. which for anyone who does the ais removal would be a good thing!

• minty0_10

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Are the cams the same?

• JDLowrance

Posted December 23, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Are the cams the same?

Cams are not the same. The YZ cams have considerably more lift/duration and are timed differently. Not sure about valve sizes but I think they are the same.

• GuyGraham

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:39 AM

isn't 09 YZF the first year of the reverse engine - I thought the head was different

edit: my mistake, 2010 is the first year of the reverse engine, so 2009 YZF is basically same as WRF engine, except as stated above regarding cams and AIS

If the YZF head comes with cams try them and see if you like he extra hit they give. You can always swap back to your WR cams from your old head

Edited by GuyGraham, December 24, 2012 - 01:43 AM.

• minty0_10

Posted December 24, 2012 - 03:04 AM

Do you mean the yzf cams with give the bike more top end power?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted December 24, 2012 - 03:37 AM

Yes, the YZ cams will provide more power up top, but you might lose some off the bottom.

• MaxPower

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:10 AM

the yz cams make the bike run like it should. Like your 450 blew its nose. Intakes are the same.Only the exhaust is different. When you are talking about the YZF you mean the bike not the quad right?

• GuyGraham

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:47 AM

the yz cams make the bike run like it should. Like your 450 blew its nose. Intakes are the same.Only the exhaust is different. When you are talking about the YZF you mean the bike not the quad right?

Not quite

both YZF cams have more lift
on 2007 & on WR's, the lift was reduced by Yamaha to give more low end grunt

YZF
Intake Lift = 8.65
Ex lift = 8.43

WR
In lift = 7.65
Ex lift = 7.75

• MaxPower

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:12 AM

I did not know that Guy Graham . Now I do. I dont know why Yamaha detuned the WR so much. The more I freed up the power on my 04 , the better the bike handled because it felt lighter and could wheelie over things instead of crashing into them.
Its not like the YZ450 is an uncontrollable beast

• minty0_10

Posted December 24, 2012 - 09:45 AM

I had a 04 wr450 before i bought the 07 model i have now, Have to say the 07 model does seem to have noticeable more bottom end grunt over the 04 bike.
But if fitting yzf cams will alter the power to more top end maybe i should stick with the wr cams.
I don't ride the bike hard and spend most of the time short shifting. So its never working hard in the upper rev range.

• beezer

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:17 PM

I put an 06 YZ exhaust cam in my 08 450 and the bike makes more power everywhere.

If memory serves me correct when I measured the YZ cam had more lift.

• GuyGraham

Posted December 25, 2012 - 02:53 AM

I had a 04 wr450 before i bought the 07 model i have now, Have to say the 07 model does seem to have noticeable more bottom end grunt over the 04 bike.
But if fitting yzf cams will alter the power to more top end maybe i should stick with the wr cams.
I don't ride the bike hard and spend most of the time short shifting. So its never working hard in the upper rev range.

exactly why they did it
MX'ers need top end power, we need low down controllable grunt
I thought about swapping to YZF cams, but then I thought about it and how much time I am actually on the stop and then I realized that I have more than enough power for what I use the bike for

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.