2012 YZ450F blown motor?!?

19 replies to this topic
  • MotoSarge

Posted December 21, 2012 - 03:22 PM

So.. I was going through my Yamaha book and fixing up my bike. I came across IDLE SPEED.. hmm. I always went by ear and never had a problem. I installed a tach meter and I have been idleing at 800 or 1000 RPM. Now the book says to idle the bike at 1900-2000 r/min. Thats nuts! I thought so too! So I tried my best.. the bike was nearly maxed out on the idle [color=#009900][size=2][background=transparent]speed control[/background][/size][/color]Posted Image and the throttle free play was maxed. The bike is a 2012 YZ450F by the way.. brand new.. maybe 50 hours... never ever had a problem. So I checked my valves and I cleaned up my air filter all nice.. Got it back running, but could not reach 1900. Im still boggled, thats waaaay to high. But whatever.. I got it up to idle at 1400. And it just didnt feel right to me, but I rode it and man she ripped. For about 10 mins... then I heard a loud ass noise, as if like the header [color=#009900][size=2][background=transparent]exhaust pipe[/background][/size][/color]Posted Image came loose or something.. you know what loud gwaaaa sound, aswell as this knock sound. Sounds like its comming front the cylinder head. I shut it off.. looked at the case and I didnt see any cracks or oil leaks.. but now she will not start.. and the kickstart is not smooth.[color="#282828"]. it has a jagged like feel.. but there is still compression. Any ideas??? Im so pissed... I cant believe this crap.[/color]

[color="#282828"]UPDATE--- I got the cams off... and she wont even crank now.. its seized right up. She had to have gotten too hot and seized. I'm gonna take the head off and see if the piston will move. [/color]

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2012 - 03:43 PM

It sounds to begin with as if you had your tach set up wrong. The YZ450 fires the spark plug every revolution, not every other, and when you were showing 900 on the tach, it was probably already at 1800 RPM.

• luvnoldcars

Posted December 21, 2012 - 04:30 PM

I run my idle at 2200 rpm on my 2012 yz450.

• corndog

Posted December 21, 2012 - 04:34 PM

You sure there's oil in there?

• MotoSarge

Posted December 21, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Grayracer.. I did not know that. So when I was at 1400 on the tach I was really at 2800.. LOL. holy shit.. I knew it was WAY too high. I always use to go by ear and the tach said 800. I should of went with my gut instinct and not technology.... So in this case.. now that I have my cylinder head off and the piston wont move... its all seized up. Am I looking at doing a top and bottom rebuild?

Edited by MotoSarge, December 21, 2012 - 05:13 PM.

• BBrown626

Posted December 21, 2012 - 06:54 PM

if it is running very slow, but not so slow it dies on you, it is probably idling just fine.

• luckyguy19

Posted December 21, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Really sorry to hear about the locked up motor, that never fun. But if you've got the head off, you should be able to pull the jug off the piston. You'll be able to tell at that point if its the lower end of the motor, or the piston seized in the bore. If its seized in the bore there's a good chance you'll have to fix the jug one way or another.

• MotoSarge

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Yeah So i got the jug off too, now its just the floating, but she wont move at all. The whole crank is seized up

• MotoSarge

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:04 AM

So it was a HARDLINE tach/ hour meter. The directions did not say anything about the spark firing every rpm or every other, and there is no way to adjust this meter. This is the one that wraps around the plug wire and then comes up into the meter. You guys thing I have a chance filing a claim with the company to fix my bike?

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:34 AM

You guys (think) I have a chance filing a claim with the company to fix my bike?

None at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:14 AM

So it was a HARDLINE tach/ hour meter. The directions did not say anything about the spark firing every rpm or every other, and there is no way to adjust this meter. This is the one that wraps around the plug wire and then comes up into the meter. You guys thing I have a chance filing a claim with the company to fix my bike?

None at all.

Well, you can file as many claims as you want to... but I think you've got a 0% chance of having someone else pay for the repairs your engine needs.

Chalk this one up as a tough learning experience, a really tough learning experience. BTW, having your bike idle at 2800 rpm won't cause it to blow up **. I wouldn't suggest having it set that high, you were right when you had it set "by ear". I understand you recently had re-shimmed to get okay lash to a near perfect setting. My money would be on something that was done improperly during that process.

** so long as the bike is moving and getting enough air through the cooling system. Think about it this way, you could be in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear at 3000 rpm (or above) all day long and you wouldn't have a problem. The issue isn't the bike running at that rpm, these things are incredibly durable. But, if you take them apart then reassemble and something isn't right... Well, the consequences of that aren't usually favorable.

Edited by crf450319, December 24, 2012 - 08:20 AM.

• MotoSarge

Posted December 25, 2012 - 05:39 AM

I never took anything apart. The only thing I had done was measure the clearences, and there were all in spec except for one which was off just a very small amount and I did not touch it. The only thing that came off was the valve cover

• crf450319

Posted December 25, 2012 - 06:30 AM

Well, of course in that case you can rule out a reassembly mistake on your part. Have you split the cases ? I'd be interested to hear what you find in the bottom end.

• MotoSarge

Posted December 25, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Not yet. I am going to buy a flywheel removal tool and look at the cam chain, I did notice after the incident happend, that the timing was off, so when I was trying to re time it.. the cam chain was really tight and I could not get it on both cams. I think the cam chain may have came off the crank down in the bottom end and or jammed the motor from spinning. Because at first the engine would turn but would not start. It kinda sputted and popped. So the timing could have just skipped a beat and then the cam chain cam off towards the bottom end jamming it up completely so that now the kick start wont go down at all

• MotoSarge

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Ok well here is the latest. I took the top end apart again, and this time I got to the flyheel and stator. The cam chain was kinked down in the bottom end on the crank. So I got it back on track, and the piston moves freely. So I think all that happend was the high rpms may have or I may have done something to throw the timing off. So I'm going to order some new gaskets and see how she does

• frankie_b_jr

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:57 AM

Be sure to get a new timing chain also. Cheap insurance.

• KJ790

Posted December 26, 2012 - 03:17 AM

If your timing was off then there is a chance you may have hit a valve into the piston, you will need to check for this. You also need to find out what caused the timing to jump. Running 2000 rpm will not cause the bike to jump timing or blow up, these engines are designed to run over 11,000 rpm without problem.

• MotoSarge

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:08 AM

If your timing was off then there is a chance you may have hit a valve into the piston, you will need to check for this. You also need to find out what caused the timing to jump. Running 2000 rpm will not cause the bike to jump timing or blow up, these engines are designed to run over 11,000 rpm without problem.

Well before all this happend I checked my clearences and everything was fine. I dont see any marks on the head or the top of the piston. I'll be sure to check clearences very carefully before I tighten everything up and run it again

• MotoSarge

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:10 AM

Be sure to get a new timing chain also. Cheap insurance.

My buddy said the same thing. The chain looked fine and I was going to re-use it, but after 2 people telling me to replace.. I bought a new chain today.

Edited by MotoSarge, December 26, 2012 - 09:14 AM.

• crf450319

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:30 PM

My buddy said the same thing. The chain looked fine and I was going to re-use it, but after 2 people telling me to replace.. I bought a new chain today.

For the effort involved, and the cost ($20) I replace mine every 50 hours of MX use. Like others have said, it's cheap insurance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.