GoPro Hero3 Settings for Moto

Brand GoPro

6 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted December 20, 2012 - 11:19 PM

I just picked up a GoPro Hero3. Does anyone know what the best settings are? Are there any gogd tutorials on the different settings out there? Whats the difference between ProTune on and off? Should I run 1080 or 720 is a higher FPS better? Is 60 FPS better than 30? My battery only lasts about an hour and a half fully charged. Am I douing dsomething wromg? Please chime in with ANY good tips and trick to help me make the best of this because as of now im not really that impressd with it.

• Woody R

Posted December 21, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Higher fps is better if you want to create slowmotion effects later on!

• djtroy

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Higher fps is better if you want to create slowmotion effects later on!

So there is no need to do 60FPS if I dont do slow mo?

• RenoMike

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Correct.

Also the 1080p setting isn't really needed unless you plan on playing the video's on a full 1080p capable HD TV.

If you're only playing them on a computer monitor, 720p is perfect. I almost never run 1080p.

Also be prepared to have to LEARN how to use some kind of video editing software. I managed to get my hands on a license for Sony Vegas, which is nice but spendy. Video editing takes a lot of time and patience but can be very rewarding.

• YZ2Smoker98

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:59 PM

The higher the FPS the smoother the video will be. Anything ABOVE 60 is useless unless you are doing extreme slo-mo. 30FPS is perfectly fine for video. As said before 1080 won't matter unless you are a professional, or are going to play it on a TV (which is what I do).The battery will only last for max 2 hours. My Go Pro 960 will only last for 2 1/2 hours max and normally will run out of room on the SD card before the battery dies. Better off getting yourself a 16GB SDHC Card. I believe the GoPro 3 takes a Micro?? If so just search for one like that. Also the higher the resolution (720P, 1080P, 1440P) the more memory will be use per second. With my 8GB card and my GoPro running on 960P I get about 2 hours of HD video.

• djtroy

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:51 PM

The higher the FPS the smoother the video will be. Anything ABOVE 60 is useless unless you are doing extreme slo-mo. 30FPS is perfectly fine for video. As said before 1080 won't matter unless you are a professional, or are going to play it on a TV (which is what I do).The battery will only last for max 2 hours. My Go Pro 960 will only last for 2 1/2 hours max and normally will run out of room on the SD card before the battery dies. Better off getting yourself a 16GB SDHC Card. I believe the GoPro 3 takes a Micro?? If so just search for one like that. Also the higher the resolution (720P, 1080P, 1440P) the more memory will be use per second. With my 8GB card and my GoPro running on 960P I get about 2 hours of HD video.

Great tips fellas. I was running 1080 60FPS. I noticed the battery life was horrible too. If Im watching the video on a monitor with a 1900x1200 resolution wouldnt 1080 be best for that? I will defiantlely drop the FPS to 30. I am also leaning a few basics on Windows Movie Maker. How much better is the other software taking into consideration the learning curve? I do have a 16gig Micro card class 10

• YZ2Smoker98

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:32 PM

Great tips fellas. I was running 1080 60FPS. I noticed the battery life was horrible too. If Im watching the video on a monitor with a 1900x1200 resolution wouldnt 1080 be best for that? I will defiantlely drop the FPS to 30. I am also leaning a few basics on Windows Movie Maker. How much better is the other software taking into consideration the learning curve? I do have a 16gig Micro card class 10

Sony Vegas and other software is nice to have , but you have to be lucky, steal, or have money. What I mean is the cost. Maybe you can get a free key for it. Otherwise you COULD get it illegally, but that's not the right way to do it. The last option is to buy the software, which can run over $400.

I would LOVE to have Vegas and do some cool stuff, but WMM works fine for me. Just piecing together clips, adding music, some simple slo-mo, credits, etc etc. With Vegas there is endless possibilities. You can even download an add-on called Twixtor which does extreme slo-mo very smoothly. If you have money to buy the software and time to play with it sure. If you like to do simple projects and don't have hours and hours to mess with new things, then no. I am pretty decent with computers all around and when I open up Vegas on my friends laptop I was just :jawdrop: . It would take longer to learn, but the end result will be much better than anything WMM could do.

Forgot to add. Which version of WMM are you using? The older versions you needed to download export packs to get HD video AFTER messing with it. On my old computer as soon as I imported the videos into WMM the quality would go way down, but then you would have to export in certain resolutions, none of which were 960. Then there was endless lists of audio exports, etc. The newest version which I have pretty much keeps the resolution the same and has a "HD" finalization button.

Edited by YZ2Smoker98, December 22, 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Check out this Crash in the Montana Mountains! by Peakbagger007

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Cool places to mount GoPro by ViperKid57

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Gopro vs contour by cr125dude

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

GoPro by Yamiha97

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  52 replies
Reviews

GoPro HD Rechargeable Battery by ThumperTalk

Electrical Camera Systems GoPro HD Rechargeable Battery, Brand GoPro
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.