Hot Start Issues - 2004 wr450

5 replies to this topic
  • KGSloan

Posted December 20, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys,

lately I have been having an issue with the hot start on my 2004 WR450f. it just started happening, as far as i'm aware, all at once with no changes made by me to the carb. first time was on the line of a hare scramble, dead engine start - all of the sudden my bike didn't fire first kick (when warm using the hot start) like usual...

Bascially, it doesn't work - when i push the hot start lever (even when running, warmed up) instead of revving the engine like it always has in the past, it now just spits/sputters/dies/pops etc.

it was time for a good once over on the bike so i was hopeful i would cure the issue - but i have failed :banghead:

I cleaned the carb - total dissasemble and soak in yamalube carb dip, inspeced all rubber parts, reassembled as it was. The bike runs great - starts easy when cold using choke - starts easy with no choke or hot start when coolant is ~100 deg F - has a great snap to it, doesn't pop

checked valve clearance - in spec

new spark plug - old looked fine (maybe a little rich, some carbon deposits)

the bike runs perfect - just the hot start sucks now. this is a major issue for harescramble starts (dead engine) so i've got to figure it out. any ideas??? :ride: :ride: :ride:

• MANIAC998

Posted December 21, 2012 - 03:34 AM

Are you saying that when you pull the hotstart lever and open the passageway, instead of the engine rev's increasing, the bike spit/sputters/dies/pops?

• KGSloan

Posted December 22, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Are you saying that when you pull the hotstart lever and open the passageway, instead of the engine rev's increasing, the bike spit/sputters/dies/pops?

that is exactly what happens - which has me dumb founded. the passage way is clean, the only thing i can think of is that the weather has cooled off and i'm jetted lean now???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KGSloan

Posted December 22, 2012 - 07:53 AM

for reference - i have the following on the carb as far as jets

stock pilot jet (42? or maybe it's 45? not sure) - gytr thumb adjustable throttle screw 1-3/4 out
165 main jet
JD red needle in the 4th clip (right in the middle)

• L. Euler

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Have you adjusted the fuel screw? It changes the behavior of the hot start.

• KGSloan

Posted January 06, 2013 - 07:06 PM

just to report back and update - perhaps help someone in the future...

it seems to have been a jetting issue, and fuel screw issue.

i went back to the jd recommended needle and main jet, also turned in the fuel (or air?) screw 1/4 turn.

during the summer (very hot) i had put in the lean needle (blue) from the jd kit as recommended in their instructions, and also dropped the main jet 2 sizes. well, it's winter now and cold - so went back up on the main and put the in the rich (red) needle and whala, all is well.

thanks guys

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.