XR600 smokes when revving up

3 replies to this topic
  • Bubba

Posted November 17, 2003 - 09:19 PM

My XR600 got hot in the dunes and now it smokes. Did I toast the motor? Is it worth putting rings on it?

• Bubba

Posted November 18, 2003 - 06:52 AM

Can the cylinder be bored or Nickel coated? If I let it idle and then rev it smoke pour out the exhaust. Sounds like the rings are fried.
Could anyone tell me what oil to use in this bike? I have been using 10-40 4 stroke oil but I know some motors like one oil over another some times.
Any help you can give will help. Thanks!
:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 56mulberry

Posted November 18, 2003 - 07:02 AM

I ran my 87 like that until it got to the point of using a quart every 50 miles--My buddies jokingly called it "the 2-stroke/4-stroke" because I burned and smoked so much oil. As long as you keep the oil level fine you CAN ride it but you are losing a lot of compression=power. I finally installed the Thumper Racing 660cc Baja kit. (basically 4" piston and sleeve--not much more $$$ than stock replacement stuff in the long run) and some mild headwork and 5-angle valve job. HELLO power!! Easy process either way. But you prolly got toasted rings. After you do ring job make sure you change oil REGULARLY--and clean air filter REGULARLY--BIGGEST enemy of big bore Thumpers is dirty oil. I do it every 500 miles. PERIOD. DOUG

• Carlisle1972

Posted November 18, 2003 - 09:51 AM

I used to ride with a guy who rode a 85 600, his smoked and smoked he would rebuild it over and over he took it to fay meyers (which used to be a good shop in colorado) had them do it incase he was missing something still smoked like crazy would use a quart every 50 miles or so.(He didnt like it when we woke up and said lets try to put together a 130 mile loop today) He couldnt figure it out (and he has ridden for 35 years and at the time owned a large honda shop in astoria oregon) turned out it was a pinch in one of the oil lines no body ever noticed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.