checking torque values on new bike

8 replies to this topic
  • GaSmoker81

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:20 AM

I'm suppose to make sure all the bolts are torque properly on my new bike. Should i just loosen them all and re torque or put the torque wrench on and check for proper specs.

I've read conflicting arguements and want to get yalls opinion.

• woods-rider

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:42 AM

A torque wrench won't tell you if they are too tight, only if they are tight enough. If you want to be sure you will need to loosen them and re-tighten to spec.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:46 AM

If you have the owners manual on hand then just look in it. I know on yamaha therir owners manual has a couple pages at the front that have the torque values for each bolt. Also the owners manual should show torque values on the pages when disassembling and assembling parts for what ever you are doing.

No need to loosen the bolt/nut to re-torque. Just set the torque wrench to what ever specification for that bolt/nut and if it clicks before it turns any then the bolt/nut is torqued.

On a new bike I generally hit the main ones like......Fender bolts,silencer,seat,motor brackets,frame,front/rear wheel axle nut,Fork clamp pinch bolts,axle pinch bolts,number plates. Also i check the spokes and check them again after first couple laps on the track.

• woods-rider

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:03 AM

No need to loosen the bolt/nut to re-torque. Just set the torque wrench to what ever specification for that bolt/nut and if it clicks before it turns any then the bolt/nut is torqued.

But may be torqued too much and you would never know, which in some situations (like the front axle nut) is a bad thing.

• GaSmoker81

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:06 AM

Haha...exactly what i'm talking about. 2 post and one says loosen and retorque and the other says just check but don't loosen.

I guess either way will work. I've already lost my number plate bolt so i want to do this before something more important falls out.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan, December 19, 2012 - 10:06 AM.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:21 AM

But may be torqued too much and you would never know, which in some situations (like the front axle nut) is a bad thing.

I didnt get into much detail with the front axle nut. I know on a yamah450 it suppose to be at 75lbs. I set the wrench to 30lb and if it clicks I leave it if not I set it up to 40lb and try it and keep doing it this way.

However I didnt mention that I have a beam type torque wrench that I use on all bolts that are measured less than 25NM and use this first to just see if they are snug.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Haha...exactly what i'm talking about. 2 post and one says loosen and retorque and the other says just check but don't loosen.

I guess either way will work. I've already lost my number plate bolt so i want to do this before something more important falls out.

As far as loosen and or just check goes.......I'm guessing if you have some kind of mechanic skill and can tell somewhat if a bolt that is suppose to be set at 20lbs torque then you know about what 20lb torque should feel like. I f you have a torque wrench set at 20lb but when you go to use it on the bolt and turn it and it just keeps turning but you feel like its awlfull tight but just keep turning it and strip the nut then you should have stopped when you thought it was tight to begin with.

You have to know (by experience) how different Lbs feel like with a torque wrench. and use the appropriate wrench for the bolt. For fender bolts and such bolts of that size I use a wrench in inch Lbs. For bigger bolts I use Ft lbs. After torqueing bolts for awhile you will get the feel of what 20 ft lbs feel compaired to 35 ft lbs.

Just for your sake loosen the bolt and re torque and that way you know for sure. reason I dont loosen is most of the bigger bolts have loc-tite on them from factory and i just set the torque wrench to the value of the bolt and I know from experience what the value should feel like and if the wrench doesnt click but I know that is should cause it seems like it is at the right value I will reset the wrench to 10lbs less and re-torque

• Save_A_Tree_Eat_A_Beaver

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Who said youre supposed to do that?

• GaSmoker81

Posted December 19, 2012 - 02:14 PM

The mechanic at the dealer i bought the bike from and the service manual that came with the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Dual sport project by joe reed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

All 250f engines will follow Yamaha's design by cummins1320

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  81 replies
Forums
Photo

New 2014 by MartyMOOSE

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Rm 125 vs Rm 250 2 stroke by 2 stroke life

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.