something not right

6 replies to this topic
  • allterra

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have fighting with a 07 WR450f that really hates puddles that hit the bottom of the frame. I thought it was electrical because some times it would just die like I hit the kill switch and other times it was more of a spit and sputter like I got water in the filter housing. I sealed up all the connections with rtv and doused them all with water in the drive way with the bike running. Worked great!! went for a ride hit a water hole and it died. So OK it must be going through the filter and not leaving any trace. I wrapped the filter w/tissue paper to see where the water was coming in and went and hit the hole again. It died. brought it home and hit it with the hose it ran fine while doing that. took it for a ride around the yard ran fine then I hit the puddle where I hosed it down and it spit and sputtered like there was water in the gas. I am stumped. Any help or thoughts?

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you mean riding through deep water that is up to the frame and not just splashing water, your solution is most likely this:

Take one of the carb vent hoses and re-route upwards over the battery into the airbox and this problem will disappear...

Common problem with these bikes. If all of the carb vent hoses are covered by water the motor shuts off and you get wet.

• allterra

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:45 PM

went right out after you posted that and hit the vents w/ a spray bottle. the bike shut right off. this was driving me nuts. Thank you very much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 19, 2012 - 03:43 PM

If you keep the throttle open when going through water, you will not suck it up the vent hoses.

So, my advice is to never shut off the throttle, ever.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:55 AM

PC1 still makes the carburetor vent filter kit, and a bunch of us use them in Baja to keep the Baja silt from finding it's way up into the carb. You could use this to route your vent lines higher so they never draw in water. Or just go down to the local hardware store and buy some "T" s and some tubing and make your own higher vent tubes.

• 1trackmind

Posted December 20, 2012 - 08:44 AM

I routed mine up behind the headlight/number plate. I haven't had a problem since.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 21, 2012 - 11:33 AM

PC1 still makes the carburetor vent filter kit, and a bunch of us use them in Baja to keep the Baja silt from finding it's way up into the carb. You could use this to route your vent lines higher so they never draw in water. Or just go down to the local hardware store and buy some "T" s and some tubing and make your own higher vent tubes.

The vent hoses already have Ts on them... just pick one off the branch and route it higher. Might need to extend the hose depending on where you route it but I have never had any problems routing the existing hose into the airbox.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.